First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel, 1947 Willys CJ2A
Build Thread
Link
I thought I would stir this thread. We have all discussed the risks, benefits and costs of diesel v. gas and I will take my chances on the diesel, even if it costs me more. One item I have not seen monetized in the comparisons that point out the cost of the automatic transmission being included and the like is the value of the 100,000 mile power train warranty compared to the standard warranty on the gasser. I did a little internet research but could not come up with the cost of a 100,000 mile power train warranty on a Pentastar. Anybody have an idea? I am assuming if I want a bumper to bumper warranty extension on the diesel, it should cost a lot less since they are taking no risk on the power train. In fact, I am not seeing much of a reason to get one at all based on the power train and emissions warranties you get included. I guess it will come down to the price and whether I feel lucky (was it five or six).
Sponsored

AggieJeep

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Firecracker Red LE, 2012 JKUR Call of Duty, 1967 M715 (military Gladiator)
Vehicle Showcase

@californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator diesel, 1977 cj5 LS swapped
Maybe these will be on sale for 20k off MSRP like the ram eco diesels due to the emissions issues and service for related parts. There's a reason there so deeply discounted.

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
I thought I would stir this thread. We have all discussed the risks, benefits and costs of diesel v. gas and I will take my chances on the diesel, even if it costs me more.
Happiness if not measured in value, but it should be. While it is true that money won't buy you happiness, it will give you options. And if I had the option to buy the diesel option, then I would do it. But that's because the driveability of the diesel makes me happy. And if I'm happy, I'm more likely to keep my vehicle, which makes it a better 'value'.

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
Maybe these will be on sale for 20k off MSRP like the ram eco diesels due to the emissions issues and service for related parts. There's a reason there so deeply discounted.
They are discounting all trucks, not just the EcoDiesel. Ram has been heavily discounting trucks for a few years. FCA's goal is to outsell the Silverado (which they did for the first time last year) and continue to increase sales. GM actually blamed Ram for discounting trucks so much.

The Ecodiesel was very popular in the 2014 - 2019 Ram 1500 and Jeep Grand Cherokee. Due to it's popularity, FCA decided to expand the EcoDiesel offering in the Wrangler and Gladiator. There's even talk about the EcoDiesel being offering in the 2021 Grand Wagoneer.

Sponsored

@californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator diesel, 1977 cj5 LS swapped
The ecodiesel was an ok performer until the recent emissions scandal. The trucks recvd a flash that severely hampered performance.

I was between a gladiator 3.6 and a ecodiesel ram.

I kept repeating "it's a good engine once you fix the EGR issues and the laggy throttle and and and".

I then remembered aside from a ticking lifter my 3.6l jk never had thrown a check engine light or required any parts.

I'd love to have a diesel but they are completely restricted to the point they no longer are really worth it it seems. I mean EGR, valves in the intake, particulate filters on and on it goes. It's crazy. They used to be the simpler option with better torque and fuel economy now they are a luxury status symbol.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I still don't understand why they aren't doing the wide track axles in all the EcoDiesels. Overland doesn't get them, right? But High Altitude which is based on Overland does? That's odd.
Sponsored