Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
The guys on the JL side still haven't seen a diesel on a dealership lot. They're still waiting for production. Is this thing ever going to really happen?
Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Saw a guy on the JL side post his build sheet. MSRP was $42k for his base Rubicon. He then added the diesel, hard top, safety groups, LED lights, and tow package. Price increased $15k! Ouch. That's not really a lot of options.

On the JT, it'll be EASY to push these into the $60k and beyond range with the diesel option.

Matt84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Saw a guy on the JL side post his build sheet. MSRP was $42k for his base Rubicon. He then added the diesel, hard top, safety groups, LED lights, and tow package. Price increased $15k! Ouch. That's not really a lot of options.

On the JT, it'll be EASY to push these into the $60k and beyond range with the diesel option.
The safety groups are $1700, another grand for LED, and $1200 for hardtop, thatā€™s the cost of the diesel right there that price conscious buyers could easily drop. But yes, adding the 3.0 to an already expensive vehicle will make it more expensive.

Matt84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Also you left out he had the 8.4 uconnect and cold weather package, thatā€™s another $2700

Sponsored

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2017 JKU, 2022 JTRD ordered.
Truth is, for $4k, you get the diesel, plus the wider, stronger Dana 44s front and rear (with LSD on a non-Rubi), and bigger brakes. This is basically the max tow package. Seems like a good deal to me. Perfect as a baseline to build a superb overlander. Plus, on a JT, why get a 7000+ tow rating with an engine that can't pull (3.6)?

IV.f

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK Wrangler
The Diesel is only costs $2655 mote than the V6 Auto with Limited Slip Differential on the Sport model
shh . Thatā€™s about the same on all models*

letā€™s just let everybody continue to think itā€™s 6K (4+2).

Last edited:

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Truth is, for $4k, you get the diesel, plus the wider, stronger Dana 44s front and rear (with LSD on a non-Rubi), and bigger brakes. This is basically the max tow package. Seems like a good deal to me. Perfect as a baseline to build a superb overlander. Plus, on a JT, why get a 7000+ tow rating with an engine that can't pull (3.6)?
Maybe mine is weird, but it pulls fine near max weights. Will even hold 55 MPH on 6% grade. :blush:

But it does look like my exact truck with the diesel would sticker at $51k which would probably lease for the same payment assuming anticipated higher resale value, if that materializes. So in the grand scheme of things, price wise it wouldn't hurt as bad on a lease I think.

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
So.... riddle me this, Batman: If the diesel upgrade basically gets you Max Tow, what fenders would you get if you order a 3.0 Overland?

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2017 JKU, 2022 JTRD ordered.
So.... riddle me this, Batman: If the diesel upgrade basically gets you Max Tow, what fenders would you get if you order a 3.0 Overland?
Standard low fenders. But take-off Rubi fenders are out there cheap.

Sponsored

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
Standard low fenders. But take-off Rubi fenders are out there cheap.
If Sport models w/ Max tow ā€˜Haveā€™ to have the wider flares to cover the extra width, how could an Overland w/ the same axles not be required to have wider flares? KnowhatImeanVern?

Matt84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
If Sport models w/ Max tow ā€˜Haveā€™ to have the wider flares to cover the extra width, how could an Overland w/ the same axles not be required to have wider flares? KnowhatImeanVern?
We donā€™t know that it will be the wide track axles on the JT. For the JL Dana 44 front and rear are included with the diesel, whereas they wouldnā€™t be on non rubicon models with the 3.6. All Gladiators have Dana 44 front and rear already, so no change is really needed. I wouldnā€™t be surprised if max tow is unavailable with diesel since all diesels have 3.73

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
We donā€™t know that it will be the wide track axles on the JT. For the JL Dana 44 front and rear are included with the diesel, whereas they wouldnā€™t be on non rubicon models with the 3.6. All Gladiators have Dana 44 front and rear already, so no change is really needed. I wouldnā€™t be surprised if max tow is unavailable with diesel since all diesels have 3.73
I was getting ready to say the same thing. Nothing in the JT suspension or axles will be any different than now, other than shocks and coils.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
To go along with costs, I'm being quoted $250 per oil change at the dealership. The oil filter alone is $92 and I think they're raping people on oil too at over $100 for oil, plus labor and taxes. Ouch.

kclendaniel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel
To go along with costs, I'm being quoted $250 per oil change at the dealership. The oil filter alone is $92 and I think they're raping people on oil too at over $100 for oil, plus labor and taxes. Ouch.
All the more reason to change your own oil. Just did the 100k oil change on my Grand Cherokee for $53. Stealership is a moniker dealers are never going to shake especially when they get oil at wholesale in bulk. Shoot even 'retail' off amazon is $23/gallon for Rotella T6.

They are probably charging an hour of labor because it has to be on the rack for 30 min to drain the oil completely. I actually don't mind that time because it gives me the time to rotate the tires, clean the air filter and swap fuel filters if they are due.
Sponsored