Sponsored

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Mojave, 20 Supra, 16 Wrangler UNLTD,
Wow, THAT Case would save your ears. Hours of a droning engine aren't good. I'd love to hop in and take that thing for a spin. I've got some tile to lay in our yard this spring.

325 hp would really get my attention on an I6 and are they really using the HO moniker they used with the 4.0? (I have the 4.0 liter HO decal on the spoiler of my Eagle)
oh, and yes, they are using the H.O. moniker on one version of the GME T6 engine.
Sponsored

stickshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
I6 + manual transmission would = my dream drivetrain, but I wonder if the manual will be available with the I6 -and, also, I like my current Gladiator so much that I'll likely keep it a long time no matter what else comes out.
I'm with you: an I6 turbo with a manual and I'd buy - not one - but a handful of Gladiators. Okay, I'd just buy one, but boy would I be psyched to buy it! However, I do not think they will offer a manual with a turbo I6. I don't think they are interested in spending the money on developing a stronger manual transmission / clutch given the limited market, and I think the I6 turbo will have power close to the 5.7 Hemi (I'm going to guess 300-350 HP and 325-375 lb/ft torque). It depends how they tune it for the Gladiator, but I'd wager it will have more power than the current MT can handle.

As an aside, 3.0 is sort of the magic size for engines in the European market. Once you hit 3 liters, the environmental impact tax goes up. That is why you see so many 3.0 liter engines (both gas and diesel) from European auto-makers; they are all actually a hair under 3 liters to avoid the higher fees. Hence, the 3.0 Ecodiesel, and the 3.0 Tornado.

Its a bit of a bummer that Jeep is owned by a European firm; I'd love to see a turbo-charged 4.0 liter I6, or even a 4.2, to remind me of my 1978 CJ-7 šŸ˜€

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I'm with you: an I6 turbo with a manual and I'd buy - not one - but a handful of Gladiators. Okay, I'd just buy one, but boy would I be psyched to buy it! However, I do not think they will offer a manual with a turbo I6. I don't think they are interested in spending the money on developing a stronger manual transmission / clutch given the limited market, and I think the I6 turbo will have power close to the 5.7 Hemi (I'm going to guess 300-350 HP and 325-375 lb/ft torque). It depends how they tune it for the Gladiator, but I'd wager it will have more power than the current MT can handle.

As an aside, 3.0 is sort of the magic size for engines in the European market. Once you hit 3 liters, the environmental impact tax goes up. That is why you see so many 3.0 liter engines (both gas and diesel) from European auto-makers; they are all actually a hair under 3 liters to avoid the higher fees. Hence, the 3.0 Ecodiesel, and the 3.0 Tornado.

Its a bit of a bummer that Jeep is owned by a European firm; I'd love to see a turbo-charged 4.0 liter I6, or even a 4.2, to remind me of my 1978 CJ-7 šŸ˜€

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
It was pretty easy for me to pick the 5.0 after driving the 2.7, 3.5, and 5.0.
Iā€™m not sure if they still do this, but I swear they limit the power on the 2.7l and 3.5l eco boost engines for the first few hundred miles. Whenever, Iā€™d pick up a brand new one they felt like dogs. Whenever I drove one, even the same trucks, with 500+ miles on it they felt strong. Even the 2.7ls feel powerful.

I felt the same way about them and didnā€™t understand what the hype was about. Now I like them a lot. Especially, since theyā€™ve worked out the bugs with the 3.5ls and they last now. The only thing I donā€™t like is the sound. Iā€™m not normally a Ford guy for the record.

Sponsored

Wheelin98TJ

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Bean Counter
Iā€™m not sure if they still do this, but I swear they limit the power on the 2.7l and 3.5l eco boost engines for the first few hundred miles. Whenever, Iā€™d pick up a brand new one they felt like dogs. Whenever I drove one, even the same trucks, with 500+ miles on it they felt strong. Even the 2.7ls feel powerful.

I felt the same way about them and didnā€™t understand what the hype was about. Now I like them a lot. Especially, since theyā€™ve worked out the bugs with the 3.5ls and they last now. The only thing I donā€™t like is the sound. Iā€™m not normally a Ford guy for the record.
Could be. Iā€™m not sure, but makes sense.

The real world time slips show the 3.5 and 5.0 are pretty much even after 1/4 mile. Stock of course. They are quick for trucks!

Agreed on the 3.5 sound. The 5.0 sounds really good. šŸ˜

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
Could be. Iā€™m not sure, but makes sense.

The real world time slips show the 3.5 and 5.0 are pretty much even after 1/4 mile. Stock of course. They are quick for trucks!

Agreed on the 3.5 sound. The 5.0 sounds really good. šŸ˜
They sound really good. I was wondering if they pipe the sound into the cabin like the mustangs. I had one for a rental and got horrible mpg because I kept flooring it everywhere.

my 3.6l Canyon was fun to drive. It did 0-60 in 6.1 seconds. Weird engine for a truck. It felt like my 3.6l gladiator till I floored it and it went over 4K RPM. From 4K-7k it pulled hard. It didnā€™t sound good though. My 3.6l now has a way better rumble.

Artsifrtsi

First Name
Jude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2005 Wrangler X
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Resident Pompous A-Hole
my 3.6l Canyon was fun to drive. It did 0-60 in 6.1 seconds. Weird engine for a truck. It felt like my 3.6l gladiator till I floored it and it went over 4K RPM. From 4K-7k it pulled hard. It didnā€™t sound good though. My 3.6l now has a way better rumble.
My 2017 2wd SLT was a great truck, but was ass happy. On anything but absolutely dry concrete the rear end would always try to bet the front across the line.

Beowulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Would they pair the GME-T6 to a manual and offer it with the AWD transfercase?

If that seems unlikely, I'm sure they will mate it to a Auto transmission.

Bigger question, will they offer the GME-T6 as just a nice forced air 6cyl, or will they try to make it some sort of hybrid thing?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
My 2017 2wd SLT was a great truck, but was ass happy. On anything but absolutely dry concrete the rear end would always try to bet the front across the line.
Sounds like most trucks I've owned - my Ford was the worst with rear-only ABS. That sucked. Hit the brakes and the rear end would try to take the lead. I know more than one Ford owner who deleted that "feature".

Sponsored

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
Mine was like that with the shitty good years on it. It was way better when I switched to continental a/ts. When I had those silent armor a/ts I was super glad I had the auto 4wd mode.

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Mojave, 20 Supra, 16 Wrangler UNLTD,
Would they pair the GME-T6 to a manual and offer it with the AWD transfercase?

If that seems unlikely, I'm sure they will mate it to a Auto transmission.

Bigger question, will they offer the GME-T6 as just a nice forced air 6cyl, or will they try to make it some sort of hybrid thing?
From what I've read there will be probably three versions of this engine. The entry level sounds like turbocharged coming in around 360 HP. Top tier HO version would be in the 525 HP area with a combo. of turbocharging plus hybridization and then a version in between with ?? Also there's mention of an E-turbo which from what I read is electronically controlled to keep the boost up between shifts??

Beowulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
From what I've read there will be probably three versions of this engine. The entry level sounds like turbocharged coming in around 360 HP. Top tier HO version would be in the 525 HP area with a combo. of turbocharging plus hybridization and then a version in between with ?? Also there's mention of an E-turbo which from what I read is electronically controlled to keep the boost up between shifts??
Interesting. Iā€™d be happy with the lowest end numbers as long as it is a straight ICE with a turbo. No e-torque-ish/BGS/assistedā€¦.etc.

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
Did you really just say this!? This is what is called the break in period.
Seriously!? This is what is called "the break in period." Doh!
Did you really just say that? Twice? Iā€™ve driven countless vehicles of all makes and models and thatā€™s not normal. It is however normal for some manufacturers to limit to power on certain engines for the first 200-500 miles.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Did you really just say that? Twice? Iā€™ve driven countless vehicles of all makes and models and thatā€™s not normal. It is however normal for some manufacturers to limit to power on certain engines for the first 200-500 miles.
LOL - that's one I actually resisted commenting on!
Yeah, I could see limiting some diesels for the first few hundred so people don't drive home, hook up a 10,000 pound travel trailer and toss 5,000 pounds of gear in the back and hit the Rockies.
But that's not "break in" per se. You'd not feel it that noticeable.

In the past they simply put a blurb in the owners manual but they have finally realized no one ever reads those things so I suppose if it's that important they could easily program it to hold back for 500 miles.
Sponsored