First Name
Lorri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Gladiator Mojave edition
Occupation
🚑
This will probably be what our 4XE is based on.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/...-jeep-wrangler-gladiator-wagoneer-177604.html

3.0L "Tornado" Straight-Six Engine Coming to Ram 1500, Various Jeep Models

December 27, 2021

It’s been a heck of a long time since we’ve first heard that Fiat Chrysler is working on a brand-new engine with six cylinders arranged in a line. Codenamed Tornado and internally referred to as the GME T6, the Global Medium Engine Turbo Six has recently entered production in Mexico.

The Stellantis media website lists the Saltillo Engine Plant as follows: “GMET6 HO launched on November 22nd, 2021.” The HO suffix indicates the high-output variant of the 3.0-liter mill based on the 2.0-liter turbo we already know from a plethora of models. In chronological order, these are the Alfa Romeo Giulia, Stelvio, Jeep Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Commander, Maserati Ghibli Hybrid, Levante Hybrid, Jeep Wrangler 4xe, and Grand Cherokee 4xe.

Searching the Internet for more information on the six-cylinder engine, we’ve come across an Excel published by Centro Ricerche Fiat. As the headline implies, the file in question lists four applications of the GME T6 within Fiat Chrysler: the Ram 1500 (internally referred to as DT), current-gen Jeep Wrangler (JL), Gladiator pickup truck (JT), and the Wagoneer (WS).

All of them are rocking the high-output variant of the 3.0-liter engine, which poses a pretty obvious question. How does Fiat Chrysler intend to make a little more oomph from the GME T6? The simplest answer would be to crank up the boost pressure. A mild-hybrid setup, full hybrid, or plug-in hybrid are possible as well, especially the plug-in outcome. Frankly speaking, a vehicle as large and heavy as the Wagoneer definitely needs PHEV assistance.

Also rumored for the next-generation Dodge Charger and Challenger, which are coincidentally expected to be replaced by a full-electric muscle car, the GME T6 would indirectly replace the 5.7-liter HEMI. For the 2022 model year, the free-breathing V8 with eTorque mild-hybrid tech cranks out 395 horsepower and 410 pound-feet (556 Nm) in the Ram workhorse.

UPDATE

On closer inspection, the Excel document from Centro Ricerche Fiat also lists the Grand Cherokee (WL) with the non-HO GME T6 engine.

30l-tornado-straight-six-engine-coming-to-ram-1500-jeep-wrangler-gladiator-wagoneer-177604_1.jpeg

30l-tornado-straight-six-engine-coming-to-ram-1500-jeep-wrangler-gladiator-wagoneer_1.jpeg

30l-tornado-straight-six-engine-coming-to-ram-1500-jeep-wrangler-gladiator-wagoneer_2.jpeg

30l-tornado-straight-six-engine-coming-to-ram-1500-jeep-wrangler-gladiator-wagoneer_3.jpeg
I used to have a straight 6. That thing could haul and was as steady as a rock. Unfortunately my wallet was just not thick enough to pay for all of the maintenance it really needed once the miles got over 240k.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I used to have a straight 6. That thing could haul and was as steady as a rock. Unfortunately my wallet was just not thick enough to pay for all of the maintenance it really needed once the miles got over 240k.
Why would the maintenance on an I6 be different than on any other engines of the same era?

Or maybe you mean you don't have it because you ran it as far as it would go and it was cheaper to sell/trade.

Otherwise, they aren't any more expensive to maintain - and sometimes cheaper........

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
No matter how you slice it, your EV is still running entirely on fossil fuel or FF/ nuclear.

Clean energy indeed!

Was the horse and buggy regulated/ legislated out of existence, or was the ICE auto simply a better product?
Not in Iowa - it's solar and wind - which is solar in reality - no solar radiation, no wind.

Wish I could ask my grandmother which was better - I have a photo of her as a teenage girl with HER Model T Ford.
The automobile allow for faster transportation. Instead of someone needing to take a day to go to town and back, it could be done in a couple of hours.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
And yet you seem to forget your premise is as asinine as it is full of it.

Charging the battery of an electric car with an ICE while it's going down the road is a meme, not clean energy.

Just put a harbor freight generator in the trunk.
So you don’t think residential solar panels can power a 240v 40amp carcharger? I’ve personally done it for years, with two EVs in the same garage. And that’s with a zeroed out electric bill many months of the year. Go read a book. Second thought. You’re not interested in learning. You’re more interested in putting down new technologies you don’t understand, and don’t want to. Go be a troll somewhere else.

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
So you don’t think residential solar panels can power a 240v 40amp carcharger? I’ve personally done it for years, with two EVs in the same garage. And that’s with a zeroed out electric bill many months of the year. Go read a book. Second thought. You’re not interested in learning. You’re more interested in putting down new technologies you don’t understand, and don’t want to. Go be a troll somewhere else.
It all depends on your location and usage. In my case, With EV counterparts, we’d need about 25kwh a day. This time of year our cars are only home for about 2 hours of daylight. We would need to charge from battery. With a power factor of 3.5 in this zone, we would need about 7kw of panels, just for car charging. In addition, we’d need about 5kw to cover domestic usage. What’s the cost of a 40kwh battery and 12kw worth of solar arrays these days?
Down in the SW desert, much less solar would cover us, but those who have to go to work likely drive farther, too. If you’re grid tied, night time charging still comes from FF power generation.

Sponsored

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
It all depends on your location and usage. In my case, With EV counterparts, we’d need about 25kwh a day. This time of year our cars are only home for about 2 hours of daylight. We would need to charge from battery. With a power factor of 3.5 in this zone, we would need about 7kw of panels, just for car charging. In addition, we’d need about 5kw to cover domestic usage. What’s the cost of a 40kwh battery and 12kw worth of solar arrays these days?
Down in the SW desert, much less solar would cover us, but those who have to go to work likely drive farther, too. If you’re grid tied, night time charging still comes from FF power generation.
We had 12kw of panels, 40 300w panels. No batteries. The reason it still works if you charge at night is NET metering. You overgenerate during the day, and it goes passively back to the grid. Your NET meter keeps track of outbound power as well as inbound. And the kw you send out gets credited to your bill. In FL the credits were one to one.

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
We had 12kw of panels, 40 300w panels. No batteries. The reason it still works if you charge at night is NET metering. You overgenerate during the day, and it goes passively back to the grid. Your NET meter keeps track of outbound power as well as inbound. And the kw you send out gets credited to your bill. In FL the credits were one to one.
Rolling back the meter and creating a decentralized power grid is the only way to make solar viable. UNFORTUNELTY lots of power companies are not allowing their users to roll back their meters and get credit for night time use; creating a use it or lose it scenario, which doesn't make sense for residential customers who most are at work and not at the house during peak generation time, essentially not using the max power each home can generate.

Power companies quickly found out in the beginning of the solar crazy, offering spin back was a money losing proposition, which goes against every business practice and have since canceled it.

They have elected to instead build acres of solar fields to generate power they can still bill you at.

Which in my option is silly. Why take up more space and natural resources building fields of PV when if you created a market where it encouraged ppl to install PV on their roofs. You could create decentralized model where the users create the bulk of power needed during peak times (day time) and the power company still profits from night time generation and infrastructure management. But that mean the power companies have to give up a bigger piece of the pie...

Don't get me started on the un tapped resources of using plugged in electric cars to stabilize the power grid or help with night time power or how modern home have become so efficient their energy needs have plummeted, making the cost to benefit ratio of personal PV a losing proposition.

Any who, what does any of this have to do with a straight 6 motor or jeep?

Last edited:

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
Eventually, diesel and gas will end up being phased out, very similarly to how it happened with leaded gas. And I firmly believe diesel will be first on the chopping block. People like to tout fuel economy with diesel, but it’s more polluting, so will be phased out sooner I believe. The battery ranges and charging infrastructure aren’t there yet, but battery ranges and quick charging are close. I agree that EVs will be taxed for road maintenance, but that’s likely to be done in price per kilowatt of charging, just like price per gallon of combustible fuel. Expecting the IRS or states to tax people based on reported mileage of EVs isn’t scalable.
Diesel will stick around longer, as heavy trucks will still have purpose long after passenger cars.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The 4xe in the WL is rated to tow 6000lb, so it should be able to do the same in a JT. Electrified Hurricane will be a full-size thing.
That's 200 less than my wife's 2021 Grand Cherokee. It's a 3.6 and rated 6200 pounds. My wife shamed me by suggesting if my truck can't handle my trailer, I could always use her Grand Cherokee LOL

Anyway, that's good to know 6,000 is possible with those.

stickshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
I think the "solar" convo needs to be moved out to its own thread. Yall have taken this threads main topic way out of context. Personally, I want kno more on this powerplant as it comes available.
I am also interested in the 3.0 I6 "Tornado". Here are a couple of recent stories:

Stellantis removed reference to the 3.0 Tornado (December 29, 2021):
https://www.autoevolution.com/news/...e-confirmed-with-twin-turbo-setup-177801.html

Much better news: production of 3.0 I6 reportedly began in Mexico in November 2021 (January 13, 2022):
https://[Banned Site]/stellantis-states-turbocharged-inline-six-engine-is-in-production/

EDIT: it looks like the second link is to a banned site 🙄 If you want to read the story, google:

"Stellantis States Turbocharged Inline-Six Engine Is In Production!"

The story describes three versions of the 3.0 (standard output, high output, and a plug-in hybrid), and it describes which vehicles are scheduled to receive the new engine - for what its worth.

Last edited:

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I am also interested in the 3.0 I6 "Tornado". Here are a couple of recent stories:

Stellantis removed reference to the 3.0 Tornado (December 29, 2021):
https://www.autoevolution.com/news/...e-confirmed-with-twin-turbo-setup-177801.html

Much better news: production of 3.0 I6 reportedly began in Mexico in November 2021 (January 13, 2022):
https://[Banned Site]/stellantis-states-turbocharged-inline-six-engine-is-in-production/

EDIT: it looks like the second link is to a banned site 🙄 If you want to read the story, google:

"Stellantis States Turbocharged Inline-Six Engine Is In Production!"

The story describes three versions of the 3.0 (standard output, high output, and a plug-in hybrid), and it describes which vehicles are scheduled to receive the new engine - for what its worth.
Yeah, don't know why
mo
par
in
sid
ers
is a banned site.........

jmdwifi

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Wireless Network engineer, Drummer of WOLF LEGION
Vehicle Showcase
pro electric car people should up some videos on how they lithium, kobalt, and nickel. It’s interesting.

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
pro electric car people should up some videos on how they lithium, kobalt, and nickel. It’s interesting.
Certain mineral mining practices are in fact quite bad. But oil and natural gas harvesting is equally bad, if not far worse. Internal combustion engines then give off harmful emissions on the back end as well. Anti EV people often use the lithium mining argument, but conveniently leave out the discussions about oil spills.

I’d also challenge all who claim to care about lithium mining practices to throw away all their power tool batteries.
Sponsored