First Name
Lorri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 Gladiator Mojave edition
Occupation
šŸš‘
Why would the maintenance on an I6 be different than on any other engines of the same era?

Or maybe you mean you don't have it because you ran it as far as it would go and it was cheaper to sell/trade.

Otherwise, they aren't any more expensive to maintain - and sometimes cheaper........
I was dirt poor at the time. Seriously poor. I couldnā€™t afford to replace the more expensive parts that needed replacement. It was actually cheaper to buy a small Subaru and run that around.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I was dirt poor at the time. Seriously poor. I couldnā€™t afford to replace the more expensive parts that needed replacement. It was actually cheaper to buy a small Subaru and run that around.
I can see that - I was in a state of unemployment for 22 months and ended up buying a beat all to hell VW Rabbit for a few hundred bucks to get by. Holes in floor, windshield looked like it had been hit by bigfoot, seats wore out, but it ran and moved.

Beowulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Any new details around timeline of availability?

willhonkforparts

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD & 2008 JKUR
Occupation
Self-loathing
I don't know why the rail industry idea of diesel-electric hasn't hit the automotive sector.

Picture if you will a Jeep 4xe...except it's more heavily weighted toward the EV side of propulsion and it uses a 25 horsepower diesel engine to generate electricity to keep the battery pack charged when needed.

That would keep the diesel engine below the threshold for Tier IV emissions, so there would be no DPF, no EGR, and no DEF tank. It would be stone age simple, would last for a half-million miles, and would sip fuel on a heavy diet. The engine would be small, like a compact tractor engine we commonly see these days, so packaging would be easy. Since it's only running when needed to keep the battery pack charged, a tank of diesel would last for many weeks. You wouldn't need to ever plug the vehicle up for a charge (but could if desired) and range would be several hundred miles if not further.

As a side bonus it would be a simpler and more reliable design than current hybrid/EV models we have now.

Really shocked that no automaker has done this already.

But alas....I'm holding onto traditional ICE as long as I possibly can because there is NOTHING else out there as practical for day to day mixed usage.
I have always thought that hybrids would make more sense with a diesel engine over gas. EV in the city, diesel on the highway, it just makes too much sense to me.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

willhonkforparts

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD & 2008 JKUR
Occupation
Self-loathing
I have always thought that hybrids would make more sense with a diesel engine over gas. EV in the city, diesel on the highway, it just makes too much sense to me.
The idea of a hybrid is to be clean. Diesels are dirty engines, heavier, and more expensive.
I'm looking for the new design engines......

https://interestingengineering.com/...engine-produces-nearly-zero-harmful-emissions
I always thought the idea of a hybrid was max efficiency. Hydrogen would be max clean.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
There are new IC designs that actually approach, or hit, 0 emissions, with CO2 being captured and only water released.

As described by a major university site->
The ultimate goal of the hybrid electric vehicle is to provide the equivalent power, range, cost and safety of a conventional vehicle while reducing fuel costs and harmful emissions.

While there are diesel hybrids out there, since part of the goal is reduction of emissions - diesel is the more difficult way to get there.
They are called "green cars" due to lower emissions.

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sort S
Occupation
Security
Wow: Went from a 2000 Wrangler which had a straight six and no fancy crap that was a no brainer to troubleshoot to a 2018 JK and that was nice and still could troubleshoot and repair. Flash forward to the 2020 3.6 Liter garbage that had to have the engine replaces at 5K miles I feel like it is a toy that is about to break at any moment and when it does it is so integrated that trouble shooting it is a waste of time, they are designed to be serviced by a Certified Jeep mechanic who has no clue without support at 1-800- Help my happy arse. As far as electric is concerned think about being out in the mountains for 6 to 10 hours driving trails and 3/4 of the way you realize your batteries are 3/4 dead. Don't risk it with electric unless you are a Mall Crawler. Been out for days on end without anything within 100 miles and there is no way to get to any services including Cell Service. My old 2000 Jeep is being rebuild right now, as soon as its done the Gladiator is gone.

tempImageDZxTSM.png

Last edited:

Trippin01

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX450h, 23' Supra
Occupation
Deputy Sheriff & Retired Army
Vehicle Showcase
Well sorry to hear this. I use my JT exclusively for towing my 4k lb trailer and trails, no DD crap and it has worked flawlessly for 3 years now. Only 28k miles on it, but they are all hard miles. Yes upgrades have been performed, 5.5" lift, front driveline to accommodate, re-gearing for 37" tires, but it is a Max Tow, and I deleted all the goofy DD city boy electronics, even opting for the 5" screen to give me more dash space. Even the carpet will come out and some kind of Rhino lining sprayed inside. But I jump in, and hit the trails. It always works and never left me walking down the road. At the same time, I respect your want to keep it even more simple with your 2000 year jeep. I hope to see you on the trails. I'm headed to the Rubicon next month.

BOH's.jpeg

Sponsored

stickshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
The standard output is pretty lame but the high output is very impressive. Probably the fastest engine option and would beat the 6.4 na.
I think the Standard Output (SO) version looks great! It is also the one that will likely come to the Gladiator - IF - and I repeat - IF - Stellantis decides to put it in the Gladiator at all. I believe the High Output (HO) version will be reserved for the Challenger, and expensive SUVs.

I really hope the SO version comes to the Gladiator - I think it would be a great engine for this vehicle. It sure doesn't look like we will ever get the 5.7 Hemi, and I'm not interested in paying a squillion dollars for the "392" in a Gladiator (again - IF Stellantis ever decides to roll that out). The 3.0 Hurricane SO version provides way more horse-power than the Ecodiesel, and almost as much torque - all without DEF, EGR, and higher maintenance costs. Who knows yet if it will stay cooler when towing up hill in the summer...

This is from TFL Truck: "The ā€˜SOā€™ (Standard Output) engine, per the companyā€™s official statement, will put out ā€œmore than 400 horsepowerā€ and 450 lb-ft of torque, per SAE standard J2723. The company notes it optimized the unit more for efficiency, with two smaller turbochargers, lower maximum boost pressure (22 psi) and a higher 10.4:1 compression ratio. The Hurricane SO engine can run on 87 octane fuel, though the automaker recommends premium for the best figures possible."

I think these power numbers are awesome!

3.0 liters is now a very common engine size - actually, they are all a smidgen smaller than 3.0 liters - because once you hit 3.0 liters you cross into a new pollution tax bracket in the EU. This is why the Ecodiesel is 3.0, and why BMW and everyone else now offer 3.0 engines (many of them are I6 engines, which is also pretty cool). If you compare the Hurricane SO to most of these other options the Hurricane is making more power.

I'll gladly take the Hurricane SO over the HO version in the Gladiator. If the Hurricane is engineered to handle higher output, it should provide "good" reliability in the SO version. In addition, you can run 87 octane in the SO.

Also from TFL: "The ā€˜HOā€™ ā€” or High Output ā€” engine will make ā€œmore than 500 horsepowerā€, and above 475 lb-ft of torque. This version uses larger turbochargers and outputs higher max boost (26 psi). Engineers tuned this powerplant for performance, and as such lowered the compression ratio to 9.5:1. The Hurricane HO requires premium fuel, while the 350-bar (5,075 psi) direct injection system delivers gas to each of the six cylinders through two chain-driven pumps (one on the SO engine)."

Source:

https://tfltruck.com/2022/03/stellantis-hurricane-engine-news/

WillVra

First Name
Morgan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator, 2021 F250 FX4, 2016 900 Ranger Cre
Occupation
Oil and gas production
Yes. I mean exactly that. Yesterday's technology. ICE engines are pitifully efficient-- about 36%. ICE tech has been used for so long because a huge amount of market manipulation ensured it to be. I am sick and tired of gassing up a 15 mpg vehicle. I hate giving my money to pay the litany of fees, excises, taxes, duties, etc. for every drop of gas. Full electric can't come fast enough.

Rivian's truck for instance-- that's the future. Gasoline engines have had their time, and like incandescent light bulbs... it's time to phase them out. I want a motor at each wheel, tank turn, crab walk, the rest of it. The golden age of offroad isn't even here yet, just you watch. Jeep is smart to try to embrace it quickly with 4xE and the magneto concepts. If they stuck to gas engines, might as well call them Blockbuster or Sears.
All the ā€œother feesā€ you mention as in taxes? Do you really think the government is going to give up the $.40 per gallon tax on fuel when everyone goes electric? You will probably be taxed on a miles driven per year basis with electric vehicles. The cost of batteries the disposal of batteries the cost of mining all the minerals to even build the batteries is not environmentally friendly or cost effective, though neither is ethanol. It has a ways to go before it will be accepted.

Willys2Gladiator

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
All the ā€œother feesā€ you mention as in taxes? Do you really think the government is going to give up the $.40 per gallon tax on fuel when everyone goes electric? You will probably be taxed on a miles driven per year basis with electric vehicles. The cost of batteries the disposal of batteries the cost of mining all the minerals to even build the batteries is not environmentally friendly or cost effective, though neither is ethanol. It has a ways to go before it will be accepted.
Watch all our electrical rates climb once thay have enough people hooked on electric cars. They will collect. Just done forget, the government doesn't spend any $ that they don't first collect from someone else. Us! One way or another they will get their $$.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
All the ā€œother feesā€ you mention as in taxes? Do you really think the government is going to give up the $.40 per gallon tax on fuel when everyone goes electric?
It's a road tax, not really a "gas tax'. It's used to build the roads you drive on. Why should you pay nothing for those roads just because you don't buy gas?
Electric vehicles will be just as hard on the roads and require the same money to build roads for.,
The problem is that no one wants to pay to MAINTAIN the roads once built - so they go to hell after a few years. But a shiny new road? Hell yeah, build it! And in a few years because you don't want to pay the money to maintain it, it will be like all other older roads - or like most Illinois roads - pure crap.

Bonanza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Max Tow Punk'n
I made that post almost a year ago. Ha! Back on topic, I can't wait to get rid of gas engines. This pentastar sucks, face it. It's power sucks, it's efficiency sucks, and other than "working", there isn't anything I can say I really like about it. I drove by another gas station today, which raised its prices $0.30 overnight, likely because it got windy over Antarctica and "futures" and people speculating something, and a potential war in Turkmenistan, etc. etc.

So sick of it. I will never buy a gasoline engine again in a new vehicle.
Sponsored