Threads
Reaction score
Website
dilabs.cc
Vehicle(s)
'21 JT GDE Ecodiesel, 22 Polestar 2
Occupation
engineer
Here is the only video I have where you can hear it clearly.

It would be good to do an oil analysis after the first flush after the new cams are installed. That's how mine sounded when I replaced the cams the first time. Then it was quiet but the ticking returned after about a few thousand miles. Then the bank 1 intake cam was replaced again. The ticking didn't completely go away but did get louder with miles. with 1k miles on the new cam, there is no visible wear.

My new motor is whisper quiet; all I hear is the supercharger. how nice it is.
Sponsored

Brahmajoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Law
It would be good to do an oil analysis after the first flush after the new cams are installed. That's how mine sounded when I replaced the cams the first time. Then it was quiet but the ticking returned after about a few thousand miles. Then the bank 1 intake cam was replaced again. The ticking didn't completely go away but did get louder with miles. with 1k miles on the new cam, there is no visible wear.

My new motor is whisper quiet; all I hear is the supercharger. how nice it is.
But that clanking noise would happen when you have it throttle

seven30

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM 6spd, 2001 Cherokee, 1992 Comanche
Occupation
Programer
My engine started making a slight tick at 8k miles. Took it in for oil change at 10k for oil change and diagnosis. They said they couldn't hear anything and didn't do any tear down.

Took it in to a different dealer at 13k as the ticking was getting louder. They called to say I need four new cams and 8 followers. Now I am worried about the longevity of this engine. Hopefully the new cams and followers will be okay but seriously wondering what caused the issue in the first place and it seems like many of these engines that chew up the cams in the first place have it happen again.

(This is my second Mojave with the 3.6 and I also had a JK with a 3.6. Neither of the other two had any issues other than an oil pressure sender in the JK which was a known issue)
This is why I save every filter. If something starts to break down it will be catching some of the particles. Most of the dealers drain oil into a big drum, not a pan, so they are not likely to spot the onset of a problem.

Id want to see the oil in a pan and check recesses in the filter pleats. Probably get an oil analysis to see if bearing material is present too.

DAVECS2

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
Engineer
If you change your cams and followers, you should change out the VVL solenoids and thoroughly clean the phasers.
Sponsored

Reactions: DC3