Sponsored

JK 3.6 vs JT 3.6??

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator 2019 Porsche Macan S 2018 BMW M2
No dealer is going to give you the supplies to do your own oil change and mark on a ticket that they performed the service. Ever.

All it takes some jackass draining their oil and seizing their motor only to blame it on the dealer.
Well, there's that. I always forget that policies are made to accommodate the lowest common denominator.
Sponsored

OP
OP
KI9H

KI9H

First Name
Rockland
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon, 2020 BMW Z4 M40i, 2019 Honda Foreman Rubicon
Occupation
retired engineer
The threaded plastic top of the oil filter cartridge has a toque spec of 25Nm. Applying more than 25Nm may cause the case to crack. 25Nm is not very much torque. Hand tightening the cap more often than not applies excess torque.

wannajeep

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6sp JTR
The threaded plastic top of the oil filter cartridge has a toque spec of 25Nm. Applying more than 25Nm may cause the case to crack. 25Nm is not very much torque. Hand tightening the cap more often than not applies excess torque.
QSL. I've always tightened to "just right" then backed it off just to see how much effort it takes, tighten, back off, repeat a couple times until I have a warm happy feeling about it. Next time I'm going to try the torque wrench. Good to know the spec, thanks. I know... it was probably in the manual, RTFM :giggle:

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
I'd go in and ask them if I could just have the oil and filter then. Tell them they can claim it on a warranty ticket. If they're on bulk oil you might have to bring your own container. They may or may not do it but it never hurts to ask.
Yeah, it will hurt to ask.

Riccochet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKR | 2020 Ram 2500 | 2021 JT Sport
9 years I've owned my JKR and never once have I torqued the oil filter to any kind of spec. The cap has an o-ring that's replaced at every change. You'll feel that o-ring engage when tightening the cap. Light, steady pressure to bottom out the cap. That's all that's needed. The o-ring is what seals it and keeps it from backing off.
Sponsored