First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
HVAC
Hey all - looking to order my first Gladiator! Trying to determine which powertrain to get. I will be upfront and say cost is not a factor in the decision, just want the best performance for my application.

I will be ordering the Rubicon trim. Test drove with the 3.6 and it just seemed a little bit lacking on get-up and go power (merging on ramp, passing on interstate, going up mountain roads). Unfortunately there are not any Rubicon trims with the 3.0 ecodiesel that I can test drive to compare.
So I asked a guy at the dealership and he told me (based on his personal Gladiator Rubicon with 37's) he thinks the 3.6 would be better for what I described above IF an air intake is added to it. He says with the turbo lag on the ecodiesel, the 3.6 would be just as good with an aftermarket air intake due to the Rubicon having 4.10 gearing standard with the 3.6 pentastar. He said the 4.10 gearing is more important than the extra torque provided by the ecodiesel using 3.73 gears for going up the hills, passing acceleration, and such.

Just wanted to get others thoughts. The ecodiesel is more maintenance and finicky with the emissions, so if all other things are equal and there is not much of a difference after adding an air intake to the 3.6L then I guess the gasser route I would go.
Has anyone driven both setups (3.6L w/4.10+intake VS. 3.0L w/3.73) and could comment if they notice a difference between the two powertrains?

Will not be doing any towing.
I literally have zero turbo lag at with a pedal monster installed.
Sponsored

Mike-len

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
HVAC
I have owned both - 4 door JL Rubicon’s
2018 JL with the 3.6 on 33’s. We put ~40k on it, my wife’s daily driver for work. Not a single problem with it. used Prices were crazy so we sold it for what I paid new and ordered a 2021 Diesel. Very impressed with the reduced engine noise on the highway and fuel economy/ range. It’s on 35’s and gets 21-22 in town and 26-28 on the highway. 65-72 mph seems to be the sweet spot for interstate driving, anything faster fuel economy get worse quickly (same for the 3.6, but only 19-21 mpg)
Passing power and pulling hills is much better with the 3.0 Diesel.

We enjoyed the wrangler enough that I sold my GMC diesel and toy hauler to build a Gladiator.
I couldn’t be happier with the diesel Rubicon!
Running 37’s with a 3.5” lift.
Fuel economy is down from the wrangler but still pretty good at 20 in town and 22-23 on the highway. It’s not as fast as the wrangler but it’s heavier and on 37’s. I’m sure it would be better with 4.56 gears, but it’s fine with the stock 3.73’s.
We’ve been to Moab twice, Colorado, southern Utah and all over Idaho camping and exploring.

IMG_5074.jpeg
IMG_5054.jpeg
IMG_4117.jpeg

We have over 80k on the wrangler and 20k on the Gladiator with no issues whatsoever from either vehicle. Just routine oil and fuel filter changes.
Hey I like GFC, and the sweet looking rig! We’re having ours installed on our ‘22 JTRD in July. I can’t wait!

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Forgot to add I digress, my bad

anyone who wants to continue this discussion, dm me, otherwise lets get back on track
What was the question again?

Nitroexpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, '82 Jeep CJ-8,
My take is that this seems like a 'typical' dealer giving you a B.S. answer to sell you a vehicle right now vs. something not available. Adding an air intake is going to make no appreciable difference in the performance.

Marlinvx

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTD, 2022 Audi Q3 S line
Occupation
Retired Navy, current Engineer
I have had both engines in my gladiators. (Traded my 3.6L for the ecoD because I was holding out for the 392 gladiator which isn't happening). The diesel has so much more giddyup off the line and the mileage alone makes it worth it. I drive almost all city for daily. My 3.6L got maybe 12mpg in town.
My diesel gets high teens to low 20s in town pending time of the year. Winter diesel sucks. I have the same aftermarket bumper on both, and the same Mojave wheel/tires take-offs.
I did tow a 24ft enclosed trailer with 2 RZRs inside from Illinois to central missouri with my 3.6L, no problems, did everything I asked.
I tow an 18ft car hauler with a side-by-side with my diesel. no problems.
If I had to do it again, I would take the diesel over the gas, I like the turbo whistle :)

Sponsored

Almost

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD & 09 JKU
I like the turbo whistle :)
Thats the biggest problem I have with mine. I'm constantly dipping into the throttle on the highway to let it sing. If there are no hills I get bored. I used to hate hills in my JK now I love them.

Marlinvx

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTD, 2022 Audi Q3 S line
Occupation
Retired Navy, current Engineer
Thats the biggest problem I have with mine. I'm constantly dipping into the throttle on the highway to let it sing. If there are no hills I get bored. I used to hate hills in my JK now I love them.
I yanked all the foam out from under the hood, which makes it more noticeable.
No doors for the summer helps as well.
Right around 13psi is the magic pressure for loudness. As it gets past 20psi, I don't hear it anymore. Probably a combination of the engine is louder and I have significant loss of hearing in the higher frequencies from my Navy days in the engine room.