Cold Air Intake...

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi, 18 JLU Rubi, 2008 JKU Rubi, 07 Vette
So, what you're saying is the Banks CAI is the way to go?
If air flow is your goal, yes. It boasts the most filter area and air flow. But I'd personally go for the best sound. Not sure which gives that. I've heard several folks say they liked the sound of the AFE and K&N. I'd bet the Banks sounds good, too. Can't imagine Banks not making sure it sounds good. Just my 2cents.
Sponsored

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
So I don't know if this question has been asked or answered i guess.

Whats the difference between the Open Filter intakes and the ones in the closed enclosures with the small open slot. Do they both give the same amount of air flow?

For example these two:
It's all appearances and sound with the open one likely being louder. People are forgetting there's a little thing called the throttle body that is going to be the ultimate bottleneck in the air intake system. The problems that older vehicles had such as smaller tubing, inlets, and filters are a thing of the past and a CAI will be for looks and sound, nothing more.

I have yet to see a dyno result with nothing more than a CAI that shows meaningful HP gains on a modern gas engine (emphasis on gas... diesels are another story entirely). The gains you'll see are well within the margin of error that would come with gas quality or small environmental changes.

Deleted member 30519

It's all appearances and sound with the open one likely being louder. People are forgetting there's a little thing called the throttle body that is going to be the ultimate bottleneck in the air intake system. The problems that older vehicles had such as smaller tubing, inlets, and filters are a thing of the past and a CAI will be for looks and sound, nothing more.

I have yet to see a dyno result with nothing more than a CAI that shows meaningful HP gains on a modern gas engine (emphasis on gas... diesels are another story entirely). The gains you'll see are well within the margin of error that would come with gas quality or small environmental changes.
That's why I just went with the JLT set up. It just has the filter and heatsink casing while using the stock inlet. I'm just looking to get a little growl from the engine.

Screenshot_20210425-212557~01.jpg

immaechu

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow / 2005 Honda Accord Coupe w/ Air Suspension
Occupation
Owner of printing company
Vehicle Showcase

What if you also added the throttle body extension piece

https://afepower.com/afe-power-46-35008-silver-bullet-throttle-body-spacer

Then added the intake to that?

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ

Sponsored

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Most of these intakes do not address the stock flow restriction, which is not that significant. The junction between the filter box and intake tube is where the boundry layer starts. If that is small it dictates the flow to the rest of the pipe, no matter what. As for the filter media and such, the OEM stuff is the best comprimise unless you go with a significant additional amount of surface area, and it still has a similar micron filter rating as stock or better. Dirt, dust, and general air garbage will jack up your piston ring seal, which is pretty important and sensitive in the 3.6L's quest to be power dense.

The big curve ball the JT and JL throw at you that no one has spoken about yet, is the fact the ECM controls the throttle body opening, completely and most times different to what you command. The throttle body control is closed loop to the torque demand in the engine. The throttle boddy also has a closed loop position control to help it regulate its position. You start throwing signifcant different intake flows at it, it may run at reduced throttle opening, for a given speed, completely negating what you are trying ro accomplish. Just my two cents. They do look cool

Last edited:

Green_Gladiator

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mojave, 22 NX350 F-Sport
Occupation
Commercial HVAC
Cold air intake
throttle body
Manifold
Headers
Catback
Then Tune

... Anything else is a waste of money

Yallaen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport-S upgraded
Occupation
Information Security
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for your post, but my only "hmmmm" is when "usable RPM range" is mentioned. I have a MT JTR...even getting on it, I never go above 3,500-4,000 rpm...heck, above 3rd gear, it takes forever to go above 3,000 rpm, the engine just doesn't want to rev out. I have the Pulsar and Gibson exhaust, AFE dry filter (not CAI) and a throttle body spacer...a lot will scoff at the spacer, but I noticed a difference in hill climbs and a bump in mpg. I have 26,000 miles on my truck in a year and average 18.5-19 mpg in mixed driving with 35's and a several weight adding mods...but I disagree emphatically that 4,000+ rpm is in the usable range in the 3.6L Pentastar. Any performance mods I make are for fuel savings in this engine, not power because you just won't ever feel it. I had a 2012 JKR with 3.6L MT with similar mods all for fuel savings, not power.
I'm going back and looking at these older posts, because I'm considering CAI and Exhaust on my 2020 Gladiator. This post, and the preceding with the chart, were the most eye-opening I've seen. Why?

STOCK does BETTER at the low and low-mid range areas, where MOST of your driving is done. You see the most gains once you go above the 3.5k rpm range, and it's maxed around the top of the power band, 5k+. Are you going to drag race your Jeep? Are you going to flat out floor it? I'm still a new "Jeeper", but it seems like when I'm going on my local trails, or watching YouTube videos, slow is better at getting up obstacles. Going "balls in" is a recipe for breakage IMHO.

My background is wrenching on 68 Firebirds (or Pontiacs in general), and reading/discussing performance issues since the mid 90's. Carb-fed engines are DIFFERENT than EFI of any variant. Also, knowledge from those older engines does not necessarily apply to new tech.

Also, all of this is moot without ENGINE mods. I've read and agree with the overall thought of this: an engine is an air pump. Correct. Only so much volume will go in without mods, such as cam difference, intake modifications, valve resizing, turbo or supercharging...

Again, if I'm going to do some upgrades to the engine, then I need a good baseline to handle those mods. I'm thinking supercharging my Gladiator for some added grunt. That means I'll need more air in, and more air out.

Yallaen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport-S upgraded
Occupation
Information Security
Vehicle Showcase
Bypass all those and just add a Supercharger.
Again, see my recent post. Supercharger will still suffer air starvation without a baseline of increased air inflow, and air outflow. Will a stock air intake box SUPPORT the higher volume required to compress that air into a cylinder, and expel it properly. I have seen Pontiacs where people ran straight pipes, and didn't see a performance gain. No back pressure was causing some performance issues.

You have to look at all of these as moving parts, and laying a framework to build upon. JMHO.
Sponsored