Sponsored

Cold Air Intake...

Moab

First Name
Dion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Jeep Gladiator Overland, ‘17 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, ‘73 Porsche 914-6 GT,
So i understand the rational thought behind both arguments for and against adding a Cold Air Intake. but if the thought is that the engineers have it right from the start then why would MOPAR offer an option for a Cold Air Intake in their options for order?
https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...adiator-jt-order-guide-updated-monthly.15368/
I’ll venture to say ...$$. They also get to offer the factory warranty for your piece of mind.
I had cold air intakes on my hot hatch VWs back in the day. Unless you are modding more on the engine components save your money. But a winch or lights or lift kit :LOL: now we are talking!
Sponsored

Joker4L

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubion "LE"
I like mine :). To each their own . I will say it’s louder than my rock crawler exhaust lol

472DA45D-E3D7-4143-A7A5-43A0D57CADBF.jpeg

Last edited:

Joker4L

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
man that looks nice, does the dealer give you any warranty crap about it?
haven’t had a need to visit the dealer yet. I hope I will only have to for my Jeep wave oil changes lol

I had one on my Ram and they never said nothing about the intake or my exhaust.

Joker4L

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I also did remove the metal grate at the AirBox for the i Jen CAI because it caused a drone noise in the cabin and made the intake very loud. It was like it was struggling to gulp air. Removed it and immediately get the difference in response and noise level.

Last edited:

Sponsored

RavensEyeOffroad

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
haven’t had a need to visit the dealer yet. I hope I will only have to for my Jeep wave oil changes lol

I had one on my Ram and they never said nothing about the intake or my exhaust.
i mean that looks really nice. Ill have to check into them.

Slickxp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'n Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
I have no clue if gives you more power or not, but with the Pulsar tune that gives you an extra butt Dyno and the sound from the CAI you do feel and hear the wow factor.
I like my setup even if might be just for looks and extra beefy noice.

20191005_191452.jpg

Gregbj33

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2017 Wrangler
Occupation
Store Manager Weis Markets
I also like mine. Seems to add a little pep. And the sound is awesome. Not obnoxious but a good rumble under acceleration.

BB8822DA-1975-4114-A532-46280414BFBB.jpeg

Harold0819

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray Gladiator Rubicon, 2008 Jeep JKU, 2019 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk Hemi
I'm planning on using the K&N filtercharger on mine. I've had them on all my vehicles. As for do they add horsepower...Not enough to notice but the extra sound is nice. I honestly think that them potentially shortening the life of your motor is a bunch of crap. My JK has 200K on its 3.8L and still runs plenty strong....or as can be expected from a 3.8L.
I've never had any dealer issues with mine but I have only one dealer I go to for service because they are very mod friendly and never care or complain. Hell, my wife's Grand Cherokee Hemi had less than 1000 miles on it when I installed a filtercharger kit and Corsa exhaust. When I brought it to the dealership...they loved it. Most common comment was that is how they should sound.

Sponsored

GOT16

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sting Gray
i like a lot of the systems you all have installed, like the idea of a little louder sound.
Anyone notice a gas mileage difference?
any increase at all may push me over the top and make it easier to sell to the wife...

DylanR

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Catch cans on direct injected engines have purpose and value.
Fortunately we don't have DI engines.

As for the rest of the argument, keep in mind the ECU is going to maintain a perfect stoichiometric ratio, so more air in equals more fuel in. You'll never see a MPG bump. Also, the meager power gains are at the very top of the RPM band where you'll rarely use it. Also, you can put a 10" intake tube on the throttle body if you want, but the exact same amount of air will be ingested at the engine. Unless you're going to install a new intake plenum and TB also, you're wasting your time.

In a nutshell, a CAI is peeing cash into the wind.

Bowerss2

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator, 1980 Chevrolet Corvette, 1930 Ford Roadster Pickup, 1930 Ford Station Wagon, 1930 Ford Phaeton, and an awesome 2004 Ford E-250 (the dangerwagon)
If they could get more HP with less effort out of an engine by simple intake change... they would have done so. Throwing a lot of high performance cars on a dyno I have noticed that every single aftermarket exhaust or CAI will give you within the error standard of the dyno the same as stock. How do manufactures display HP gains in ads? easy, do pulls until you get one that looks impressive. Truth is most chassis dynos are not all that accurate.

The only time you get gains is when you really re-design what feeds and exhausts your "pump" (that is all an engine is really) So for example on a typical sport car, to see any gains beyond the margin of error you need to replace the Intake, The intake manifold needs to be optimized (port match), new exhaust manifold, down pipes, cats, pipes, mufflers. And after all that you need to re-tune or all that work might actually hurt performance.

Honestly its way easier and cheaper to go with a different cam profiles, and re-tune then worry about optimizing flow in and out. By the time you are worrying about intake and exhaust you are reallllllly talking about diminishing returns.

Back in the day was a whole different story, if you are talking about a old Q-jet carb sitting on top of a hot big block with a round intake, you will absolutely see gains by getting that engine some fresh, cold air. These days however, the mfgrs are getting about all they can get out of the engine stock without sacrificing fuel efficiency, reliability, or longevity. Look at where the stock intake pulls air from. Every one I have seen on the market in any modern car is already a cold air intake. Many of the aftermarket options are actually HOT air intakes!!!!! for example a lot of the stuff for the import market are cone filters that pull from inside the engine compartment, where the stock intake pulls from in front of and on top of the radiator, so they are actually hurting performance.

Most of the gains and "pep" that people say the notice is probably due to the increased intake noise. In my experience it takes an average driver about a 10-15% increase of power for them to actually notice any "butt feel" difference. Other than that is just in the mind.

But... its always fun to buy new toys.

Last edited:

Diaster

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Teacher-Retired Firefighter
So i understand the rational thought behind both arguments for and against adding a Cold Air Intake. but if the thought is that the engineers have it right from the start then why would MOPAR offer an option for a Cold Air Intake in their options for order?
https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...adiator-jt-order-guide-updated-monthly.15368/
Eveyone is correct, sort of. True the engineers know what they are doing. Building a vehicle for Mr. Average Jeep driver. That’s why they don’t come with 4” lifts on 37’s. (Limts Customer base) As a matter of fact, all cars are engineered to Their respective “masses“ and longevity and reliability are top. Priorities. Else the new Vette would come with twin turbos. As to CAI, it may add a little hp, just like exhaust, more for sound I think. Kind of like 33s (33) vs 35’s (34.5) vs 37s (36.3) the lift/clearance height difference is negligible but the bragging rights reign supreme. I say, it’s your Jeep, make it yours, your way!
Sponsored