Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
In theory it's no less goofy than the "roar" produced by an aftermarket plenum. Noise is energy lost somewhere.
I mean their "suggestion" that you are increasing the "explosion" and that the incoming air can somehow compress itself - they say the air density is greatly increased. Sure, you force the air into a smaller pipe, restricted by that silly device.
By the time the air gets to the point of the injector, even more, into the chamber, it's very much changed.
That's all it's good for - sound.
I'm laughing at their explanation and suggesting it increases power.

How about putting playing cards against the spokes of your wheels.
Sponsored

Sweetums

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'05 LJR, '21 JTDR, '00 VFR800, RSV4, '11 MTS 1200
Most cars already have a cold air intake, the aftermarket ones always pull from hot air inside the engine bay. Also, those oiled "high performance" filters flow more air - but they also flow more dirt and crud. Our LJR had an oiled cone filter "hot-air-intake" when we rescued it. The throttle body and the entire intake system was coated in oily dirt and dust; I had to rebuild and clean the entire intake system.
We pulled off the aftermarket junk and got a stock intake from the junkyard. Even after a week in Moab dust at EJS the intake behind the air filter is still spotless.

ospreyfe55

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
F-35 Weapons Instructor
I am looking at adding an 80mm Hemi Throttlebody to my JTR, but not sure if I can make the factory tubing work. Most of those that have done the swap also run a cold air intake with a boot to step up the size from the CAI to the bigger throttle body, this seems to be the workaround for the NA and FA setups. As soon as I get my Jeep back from the dealer I will look at my options of adapting the OEM tubing to the Hemi setup.

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
I have a Mopar CAI and like it, reason’s are intake tube is huge compared to factory comes out of the replacement cover at about four inches, eliminates every resonator, opens up the area around engine you can see everything so much better, uses a factory dry filter or over size factory dry filter, does not suck air from under the hood like many others. My gas mileage with Mojave is good at 18.5 around town and 22 tops highway , many many people report that mileage with 37 inch tires, my driving is hilly terrain and either long runs on highway to beach or ten minute trips up and down hills, so probably no increase I can prove , and everyone says they flat out suck and give no more power or less but my seat of the pants feeling at high end felt a difference.
My feelings are any intake open to the engine bay is a bad idea, as is oiling a filter, and don’t cut your hood with the Mopar.
I get that I’m old and cars have changed so much but looking at the Mopar parts next to OEM is a huge unrestricted path, including the baffles in the filter box lid and every time I drink a thick milkshake through a small straw and change to a larger one , I can’t help but think The motor is not working as hard to such in the air!
The Mopars are expensive I bought a used one here cheap, but liked it enough got one for my wife’s JL.
The engine looks better with the Mopar CAI and removing the engine cover, and if it makes me feel great it is all good ,if you need 37” tires to feel great it is also all good
..Jack
Edited to show difference between the OEM Mopar and the Performance Mopar air intake. It is huge.
IMG_0762.jpeg
IMG_0761.jpeg

Last edited:

RidinDirty

First Name
DJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
392 upgrade.

Seriously, had asked a Porsche dealer what the best way to upgrade a Porsche and he said $30K to get a Turbo version.

;)

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I have a Mopar CAI and like it, reason’s are intake tube is huge compared to factory comes out of the replacement cover at about four inches, eliminates every resonator, opens up the area around engine you can see everything so much better, uses a factory dry filter or over size factory dry filter, does not suck air from under the hood like many others. My gas mileage with Mojave is good at 18.5 around town and 22 tops highway , many many people report that mileage with 37 inch tires, my driving is hilly terrain and either long runs on highway to beach or ten minute trips up and down hills, so probably no increase I can prove , and everyone says they flat out suck and give no more power or less but my seat of the pants feeling at high end felt a difference.
My feelings are any intake open to the engine bay is a bad idea, as is oiling a filter, and don’t cut your hood with the Mopar.
I get that I’m old and cars have changed so much but looking at the Mopar parts next to OEM is a huge unrestricted path, including the baffles in the filter box lid and every time I drink a thick milkshake through a small straw and change to a larger one , I can’t help but think The motor is not working as hard to such in the air!
The Mopars are expensive I bought a used one here cheap, but liked it enough got one for my wife’s JL.
The engine looks better with the Mopar CAI and removing the engine cover, and if it makes me feel great it is all good ,if you need 37” tires to feel great it is also all good
..Jack
In reality, this is a much smaller engine compared to others that have the same intake area.
CFM - it's about flow. Doesn't matter how large that intake is. There's other pieces of the puzzle restricting air flow closer to the engine. You do want to keep the air velocity up - and larger decreases velocity.
Too large is actually detrimental. You want the air to have momentum going in, a column of air with some velocity, and mass, that wants to keep flowing even as the piston passes BDC. Too large and you can't get that effect.
Your throttle body is much more of a "restriction" than that air intake is. The manifold itself is another part of the puzzle.
What no one has done is worked with actually testing flow - and vacuum - in the intake system.
Your sensors actually take care of things, MAF, for one.
I'd love to see someone swap air intakes and give the comparison between readings before and after.

It's like guys insisting they should put a 4bbl carb on their 258 - but have a stock cam, stock exhaust and so on.

Placebo effect.

This is a 6.5 liter engine (at least after I got done with it) and look at the carburetor mounting pad of the intake - compare to the air that can flow through that tube of the much smaller 3.6.

Can a 3.6 flow as much as this could? And the carburetor air horn is an even smaller volume than the intake plenum area.

Jeep Gladiator Cold air intake recommendations? DCP_1792

ospreyfe55

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
F-35 Weapons Instructor
Modern Muscle Extreme has ported upper and lower intakes for the 3.6L for different applications. They have a whole line of products for the 3.6 in the Jeep platform. That is where I am getting the Hemi TB conversion kit.
Jeep Gladiator JT 2020 (mmx4x4.com)

be77solo

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Willys Sport 6-MT, '19 Cadillac XT4
Just as another option/engine pic, I've really enjoyed the K&N option for the last two years. For me it's all about the sound, and I love it every time I drive it. Just don't expect anything other than sound for this mod, regardless of what brand you go with. The K&N sound is a bit more aggressive than the Mopar option, which is what I wanted. Quiet when highway, but sounds great when jamming gears.

Jeep Gladiator Cold air intake recommendations? 20210604_155207637_iOS (2)

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Just don't use their danged filters.
Man, this is what, thread #5 on CAI LOL. They always go the same direction.

be77solo

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Willys Sport 6-MT, '19 Cadillac XT4
Blah Blah Blah can't hear you over those sweet sweet sounds........

For what it's worth, OP could have done a 30 second search and found all this same info, and I still like mine ha, so I posted because I like pics :like:

But yes, CAI posts are what they are I guess ha, they are on every single car related site I visit.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yup, and that may be why the OP hasn't been back since posting. Keeping a thread on-track around here is like hearding cats.
Jeep Gladiator Cold air intake recommendations? MG_1431_2

Jeep Gladiator Cold air intake recommendations? 20180514_154821

Barnaby’sdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Stuff
I’ve come for most excellent advice regarding filter on stick. Which product gets optimum “whoosh” sound with superior butt dyno numbers?

Mojave Nunzio

First Name
Nunzio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Quality Control Manager
Vehicle Showcase