First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Retired
I went with the Rugged Ridge low profile snorkel. Since I changed my hood to an aftermarket one, otherwise I would have gone with the Mopar cai.

20211229_153536.jpg

20211229_153618.jpg
Sponsored

johnh442

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, RAM 1500, Chevy SS
Occupation
Computer / Car Geek
Nice thread. Love the CAI hate.

Seriously though I looked at the intake tube and immediately thought, damn that's small. Mopar one looks good, but not for $400+ yikes.

I will say, on other cars, I've seen CAI do produce some small gains, (Measured by MAF, MAP). More air in more boom.

I wonder for those with the Mopar did you feel a difference in throttle response...smaller volume when you go WOT will restrict the air flow at tip in (likely to reduce noise on the stock piece). I know on my SS I wasn't expecting anything but more sound, but the throttle feel was noticeable.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Not hate - unless you hate facts. Seat of the pants dyno results don't count. Placebo effect is a real human thing.

I have to chuckle if you think the MOPAR tube is small - why would it need to be larger than the opening of the throttle body or the intake runners?
These are small engines and don't have a ton of pumping efficiency at lower RPM due to valve timing and limited intake lift. The CFM needed is small - and yet these have intake tubes larger than some V8 engines. A buddy raced a 401 with a home-brew cold air intake - he modified one of the headlight buckets and channeled the air into the carb - his air intake wasn't any bigger than these are.
The stock intakes don't restrict the air going in. Not on these things.

Jeepmonster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 1968 Chevy C10
Nice thread. Love the CAI hate.

Seriously though I looked at the intake tube and immediately thought, damn that's small. Mopar one looks good, but not for $400+ yikes.

I will say, on other cars, I've seen CAI do produce some small gains, (Measured by MAF, MAP). More air in more boom.

I wonder for those with the Mopar did you feel a difference in throttle response...smaller volume when you go WOT will restrict the air flow at tip in (likely to reduce noise on the stock piece). I know on my SS I wasn't expecting anything but more sound, but the throttle feel was noticeable.
I went with the Mopar CAI and an AFE dry filter. I did notice a difference, but not immediately. It took a few days for the computer to adjust. Initially, there was a noticeable reduction in performance when accelerating and merging into highway speeds. I could feel a noticeable difference after about a hundred miles or so. Similar "feel" when I switched the throttle body to an MMX 80mm body (a ported stock part). I do plan to change the cat back exhaust eventually.
Jeep Gladiator Cold air intake recommendations? 20210918_083820

Flyin6

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
real-man-truckworks-and-survival.com
Vehicle(s)
22AEV JT, 22 Ram 3500, Suburban 2500, 22 Caddy XT6
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Aviator (military) Commercial pilot, rotary and fixed wing, Writer
Here's an idea.
Do not change the stock intake system, modify it.
You won't really pick up any HP because our little motors don't make enough power to matter anyway. If you did manage 5HP then just do a power-to-weight ratio calculation and you'll see you are somewhere around 17 lbs/HP. Worse if you are constantly bolting on boat anchors, snow plows, armor plating, and 8-person tents. With numbers that big, a small improvement will be far less than a 1% improvement.

Now if you just want to bolt something on because you can, then go for it. However why not just modify your stock intake tube to get the whoosh/roar sound and leave it at that? I did mine for around $5 and have kept it that way.

The link to my build thread is in my sig, or just search my build thread on this site. You'll see how I modified mine.

Sponsored

Flyin6

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
I went with the Mopar CAI and an AFE dry filter. I did notice a difference, but not immediately. It took a few days for the computer to adjust. Initially, there was a noticeable reduction in performance when accelerating and merging into highway speeds. I could feel a noticeable difference after about a hundred miles or so. Similar "feel" when I switched the throttle body to an MMX 80mm body (a ported stock part). I do plan to change the cat back exhaust eventually.
Jeep Gladiator Cold air intake recommendations? 20210918_083820
Question: Has anyone with the newer spec computer bolted on a larger TB? Did it work? What were your results?

Barnaby’sdad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Stuff
I feel the need to share a story. Perhaps It will inspire someone to take a crack at their own home brew intake.

I test drove a 1997 Camaro SS years ago. It was pretty loud. Off road pipe/de-cat and no mufflers loud. Upon deceleration with the six speed manual transmission (not easy to find with a 4th gen F-body) it was a total eargasm.

Afterwards, I hop out of the car in full on “shut up and take my money” mode, popped the hood, and found a dryer vent flex pipe resting against the throttle body. 🤣I say resting, as it wasn’t even taped on. Just sort of propped against the throttle bottle, with the other end ~2’ away sort of tucked toward the fender. A warm air intake of sorts.

I had to do one of these numbers.

Jeep Gladiator Cold air intake recommendations? B78AF608-F5F0-43E3-B345-89635AB58DB3

As the seller was a middle-aged adult, I figured he didn’t do it. When he saw it, he had a reaction along the lines of 😑 and commented that he’d talk with his son about it.🤣 His son had done something to warrant getting “his” car taken away and sold, so I doubt that custom intake won him and brownie points with the old man.🤣

Flyin6

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Not hate - unless you hate facts. Seat of the pants dyno results don't count. Placebo effect is a real human thing.

I have to chuckle if you think the MOPAR tube is small - why would it need to be larger than the opening of the throttle body or the intake runners?
These are small engines and don't have a ton of pumping efficiency at lower RPM due to valve timing and limited intake lift. The CFM needed is small - and yet these have intake tubes larger than some V8 engines. A buddy raced a 401 with a home-brew cold air intake - he modified one of the headlight buckets and channeled the air into the carb - his air intake wasn't any bigger than these are.
The stock intakes don't restrict the air going in. Not on these things.
^^^^^^^^^^^ TRUE ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

JarHeadLV

Banned
Banned
First Name
Gerard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Mohave, 2020 Porsche 911 Turbo
Occupation
Financial Retirement Planner
Vehicle Showcase
I've been looking also, unfortunately- it's not like the 70's muscle cars when adding on a new air filter you gain some "real" power.

There seems to be NO actual gains in hp/tq adding these aftermarket filters. I recently watched a video on Youtube of a guy running a dyno correctly (he shows in the video why he does it correctly) and the S&B air filter LOST POWER compared to stock!! Personally, I think they are an absolute waste of money

Lunentucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
People Work?
The assumption that FCA designed this engine to get just barely enough O2 ad nothing more through the stock setup is quite silly.

My biggest performance gain since I've owned the vehicle has been the switch from winter blend to summer blend. I knew within just a few miles that something had changed, and I wasn't even looking for it. Better throttle response and 10% gain in MPG.

Sponsored

Lunentucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
People Work?
I went with the Rugged Ridge low profile snorkel. Since I changed my hood to an aftermarket one, otherwise I would have gone with the Mopar cai.

Jeep Gladiator Cold air intake recommendations? B78AF608-F5F0-43E3-B345-89635AB58DB3

Took some measurements on my Mojave and that appears to give you an air inlet that's about 2.5-3 inches higher than stock? It is kind of a cool look though.

friskeljr

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Air Force
If you're still looking and thinking, I have a volant I'll sell you. I like the sound it makes with the skinny pedal, but I have a buddy local who just totaled his wrangler and hooking me up with his Mopar cai

monrizzle

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
I went with the BANKS Power one and never had an issues cleaning or anything getting in my engine and I also loved how it sounds.
We ended up tuning it with the TD2 which also helped.

I bought mine here https://elreymotorsports.com/banks-jt-intake when it was like $350.
They have it for $388 right now.

Redfour5

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Renegade, Cherokee, Ram 2500 Hemi,
Occupation
Retired
I mean their "suggestion" that you are increasing the "explosion" and that the incoming air can somehow compress itself - they say the air density is greatly increased. Sure, you force the air into a smaller pipe, restricted by that silly device.
By the time the air gets to the point of the injector, even more, into the chamber, it's very much changed.
That's all it's good for - sound.
I'm laughing at their explanation and suggesting it increases power.

How about putting playing cards against the spokes of your wheels.
Nooo you will lose tens of thousands of dollars in Don Drysdale and Micky Mantle cards all for a day of clickety click. Oh, wait, that was sixty years ago and I'm still kicking myself, never mind...
Sponsored