3.6 with air intake vs. 3.0 ecodiesel

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
I use my Ram-Cummins for heavy towing and it is great for that. The 3.0 diesel has been problematic, both the high pressure pump and main bearing failures pushed me away from it. Also, my two favorite models are the Mojave and the sport s max tow, either with 3.6 and automatic.
Sponsored

Koolcarguy

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro blue Jt 2012 Gecko green Jk 2021 Gecko
Occupation
Car dealer
Hey all - looking to order my first Gladiator! Trying to determine which powertrain to get. I will be upfront and say cost is not a factor in the decision, just want the best performance for my application.

I will be ordering the Rubicon trim. Test drove with the 3.6 and it just seemed a little bit lacking on get-up and go power (merging on ramp, passing on interstate, going up mountain roads). Unfortunately there are not any Rubicon trims with the 3.0 ecodiesel that I can test drive to compare.
So I asked a guy at the dealership and he told me (based on his personal Gladiator Rubicon with 37's) he thinks the 3.6 would be better for what I described above IF an air intake is added to it. He says with the turbo lag on the ecodiesel, the 3.6 would be just as good with an aftermarket air intake due to the Rubicon having 4.10 gearing standard with the 3.6 pentastar. He said the 4.10 gearing is more important than the extra torque provided by the ecodiesel using 3.73 gears for going up the hills, passing acceleration, and such.

Just wanted to get others thoughts. The ecodiesel is more maintenance and finicky with the emissions, so if all other things are equal and there is not much of a difference after adding an air intake to the 3.6L then I guess the gasser route I would go.
Has anyone driven both setups (3.6L w/4.10+intake VS. 3.0L w/3.73) and could comment if they notice a difference between the two powertrains?

Will not be doing any towing.
First off welcome to the forum and congratulations for taking to step to get a Gladiator! So I have had both 3.6 and 3.0 We own 7 Jeeps now between me and my wife 4 are the 3.0 diesel. We have some mods lifts 35. 37 and nowv1 on 40's there is absolutely no comparison the diesel is better in everyway maintenance is higher but its only required 1/2 as much as the gasser we have a combined 120k miles on the diesel zero issues. Some good point 10 mpg better then the 3.6 more power in every sistuation off road there a monster with torque my son has a 22 Jtr on 40's he upgraded to a 4.63 gear and can pass a semi on the highway doing 80 no issues. So my vote hands down spend the $$$ and find a diesel. Just my 2 cents

Belcher24256

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Eco-Diesel
Occupation
Police Officer
Hey all - looking to order my first Gladiator! Trying to determine which powertrain to get. I will be upfront and say cost is not a factor in the decision, just want the best performance for my application.

I will be ordering the Rubicon trim. Test drove with the 3.6 and it just seemed a little bit lacking on get-up and go power (merging on ramp, passing on interstate, going up mountain roads). Unfortunately there are not any Rubicon trims with the 3.0 ecodiesel that I can test drive to compare.
So I asked a guy at the dealership and he told me (based on his personal Gladiator Rubicon with 37's) he thinks the 3.6 would be better for what I described above IF an air intake is added to it. He says with the turbo lag on the ecodiesel, the 3.6 would be just as good with an aftermarket air intake due to the Rubicon having 4.10 gearing standard with the 3.6 pentastar. He said the 4.10 gearing is more important than the extra torque provided by the ecodiesel using 3.73 gears for going up the hills, passing acceleration, and such.

Just wanted to get others thoughts. The ecodiesel is more maintenance and finicky with the emissions, so if all other things are equal and there is not much of a difference after adding an air intake to the 3.6L then I guess the gasser route I would go.
Has anyone driven both setups (3.6L w/4.10+intake VS. 3.0L w/3.73) and could comment if they notice a difference between the two powertrains?

Will not be doing any towing.
I own a 22 eco-diesel and couldn’t be happier with the truck. I live in the Appalachian Mountains of Southwest Virginia and there is no comparison climbing these mountains to a a gas engine. I have always owned a Chevy with a 5.3 since they first came out with them to pull a boat with, had three of them in 20 years. They will not hang with the diesel climbing a hill. The engine in my JT loaded with weight, towing or empty will walk away from a 5.3 on a hill. The other perk is my last tank of fuel went 466 miles in the mountains on two lane roads, at 26.9 mpg. I can climb mountains pulling a 3000 lb. Boat at 2000 rpm where a 5.3 is screaming at 4500 rpm and getting 6 mpg all at the same speed. That’s the plus side and thankfully I haven’t expertise negatives some have on this forum. I read this forum and others for about three months last year before I decided on a diesel(was set on a JT just not the powertrain). Research what works for you in the area you live because that’s where it will get used the most. For me it is a no brained if you live in the mountains and I have always been a Chevy man who liked Jeeps so it’s not a brand thing with me and this is the first diesel I have ever owned.

Belcher24256

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Eco-Diesel
Occupation
Police Officer
My 21 diesel on 37s towing a Tentrax outran my buddy's 2020 gas on 35s on a 7% grade, but I bet he beats me n a flat land drag race.
Those who will argue your point likely haven’t driven a stock JT Diesel in mountainous terrain versus driving other gasoline pickups in the same terrain and doing the same things with them, or they just don’t like diesels. The same goes for folks who say torque only matters on a hill. Torque is what gets the vehicle moving from a stop and keeps it moving on a hill. The standard weight of a JT Rubicon diesel is greater than that of a stock full size Ford or Chevy truck, a case where size doesn’t matter. What I’m saying, these trucks are heavy when stock, let alone adding bigger tires or other equipment like Jeep owners typically do. In the area I live 11% grades are not unusual so moving a heavy truck up those hills is not an easy feat for any engine. All this goes to the fact that each individual should buy what works for them. If I lived in the flat lands of Eastern Virginia I likely would have never considered the diesel since this is the first one I’ve owned in my life and I’m 55 years old.

21JTRUBI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
I have owned both - 4 door JL Rubicon’s
2018 JL with the 3.6 on 33’s. We put ~40k on it, my wife’s daily driver for work. Not a single problem with it. used Prices were crazy so we sold it for what I paid new and ordered a 2021 Diesel. Very impressed with the reduced engine noise on the highway and fuel economy/ range. It’s on 35’s and gets 21-22 in town and 26-28 on the highway. 65-72 mph seems to be the sweet spot for interstate driving, anything faster fuel economy get worse quickly (same for the 3.6, but only 19-21 mpg)
Passing power and pulling hills is much better with the 3.0 Diesel.

We enjoyed the wrangler enough that I sold my GMC diesel and toy hauler to build a Gladiator.
I couldn’t be happier with the diesel Rubicon!
Running 37’s with a 3.5” lift.
Fuel economy is down from the wrangler but still pretty good at 20 in town and 22-23 on the highway. It’s not as fast as the wrangler but it’s heavier and on 37’s. I’m sure it would be better with 4.56 gears, but it’s fine with the stock 3.73’s.
We’ve been to Moab twice, Colorado, southern Utah and all over Idaho camping and exploring.

Jeep Gladiator 3.6 with air intake vs. 3.0 ecodiesel IMG_5074
Jeep Gladiator 3.6 with air intake vs. 3.0 ecodiesel IMG_5054
Jeep Gladiator 3.6 with air intake vs. 3.0 ecodiesel IMG_4117

We have over 80k on the wrangler and 20k on the Gladiator with no issues whatsoever from either vehicle. Just routine oil and fuel filter changes.

Sponsored

Motopilot0311

First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2019 KTM SuperDuke 1290R
Occupation
Fabrication Operations manager themed entertainment industry
Oh I forgot to mention in my previous post... The sales rep that told you an intake would get a 3.6 to 3.0 Tq numbers is straight lying to you. Intakes add a bit of noise in the form of intake whine/ whistle and maybe 1 or 2 HP if your very lucky, under ideal conditions, with a biased judge. If you're throwing heavy HEAVY $$$ engine mods at the JT an intake would be low on the list of performance adders.

Motopilot0311

First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2019 KTM SuperDuke 1290R
Occupation
Fabrication Operations manager themed entertainment industry
Same situation here, but i said it to myself instead 😂
Yeaaaah I was sayin it to myself too, but ya gotta let her think its HER idea to drop 65k on a jeep... Again lol

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JEEP WRANGLER DIESEL 2121
Occupation
Retired

1stXMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
Another vote for diesel. There is no comparison in my opinion. The 3.6 is anemic. Drive them back to back and that's all you need. Yes, you will sometimes feel like you're driving a small tractor around, but you'll be smiling the entire time.

The maintenance is no big deal. I personally change my own oil and fuel filter every 5k miles because it's so easy. The cost for this frequency is absorbed by my own labor so it's a win. Make sure you use a fuel additive for lubrication and you wont have to worry as much about fuel system issues.

Sponsored

BallisticJT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator EcoDiesel Sport S, 2004 WJ 4.0L
I have a '23 Gladiator Diesel Sport, which has been nice everywhere I drive. It climbs hills in the canyons, where I live effortlessly and often in 8th gear. I'm also very comfortable passing anyone on the road as needed. It is nice having all that torque in reserve when I need it.

You must also consider that a naturally aspirated engine will lose about 3% of its power per 1000-foot gain of elevation. Adding a new intake isn't going to do much to combat that. Turbo'd engines minimize this power loss. I'd be willing to bet that at sea level, a 3.6 will beat a 3.0 diesel; however, at elevation, especially if there is any incline, the diesel will come out ahead each time.

Last edited:

Koolcarguy

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro blue Jt 2012 Gecko green Jk 2021 Gecko
Occupation
Car dealer
The 3.6 is a fine engine and does what it's supposed to do. I've driven in hilly terrain, highways, stop/go, etc. etc. I don't get all the hate and folks saying it's slug of an engine. I think that's a result of the internet echo chamber effect. It's semi-modern V6 gas motor in a "mid-size" truck that is actually closer to a full-size truck (of the late 90's early 00's) and performs as such.

I'd wager anyone claiming they have trouble passing cars on the highway or merging are trying to pass someone that's already doing 80 or something.

As for the warranty, Jeep has been using this motor for a while now and you can find plenty of high mile examples of JK's and early JL's still running just fine.
If you haven't driven a diesel Jt on the highway you won't understand the difference I own both and the power is night and day difference on my Jlru gasser with 35's passing someone on the highway is a task making sure theres plenty of room in my Jt diesel is a breeze. If you get the opportunity drive both you will throw rocks at the 3.6 when your done the power is that much different

Dougstdig

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD - '08 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4
So are you saying the 3.0 would be a better option for me? Even with the little extra maintenance like the fuel filter and more frequent oil changes?
If money is not the factor get the 3.6 then give America’s Most wanted and have a 427 installed. Personally I wouldn’t want the Hellcat as I find the whining of the super charger, annoying.

If that much $$$ is an issue, get the 3.0 when you can find one. If you’re looking for relaxed point and shoot power with reasonable efficiency you’ll be thrilled. If you’re looking for a rocket you’re just looking at the wrong vehicle.

citadelfox

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Ecodiesel
Occupation
Physician Associate
I have a 2022 Rubicon diesel with the green Diesel tune, 26000 miles, zero issues, and loving every minute of it. Off-road, you can't beat torque. Period. But that's just my opinion.
Sponsored