3.6 Engine Tick

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Short answer is they are idiots. When you start getting excessive iron deposits your oil will be black for a long time, even after it is fixed.
Sponsored

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
**Update** I dropped the Jeep off on july 5th. They replaced cams and valve lashes. On the way home from the shop on Aug 3rd my check engine light came on. Today, I was questioned about the oil changes and my BOH badges along with how much time I spent off-road. They said the oil was black and it had metal shavings in it. My question is, with all the work being done shouldn't the oil have been changed. Oh and I had to buy a battery even though it drove fine up there and never had battery issues.

Jeepreceipt.jpeg
Did they inform you of the supposed bad battery before they replaced it or did they just take it upon themselves to change it and charge you?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I always have done oil changes any time I open an engine for most things except a thermostat change, maybe simple valve cover change - but cam and other valve train parts - oil gets changed, period.
Black oil doesn't mean squat in many cases. Some oils will go black sooner than others, some start darker than others. It depends on the base, the additives, the temperatures the oil has seen and more. That old thing about "it's black, it's bad/dirty" is what my grandfather may have lived with, but it something that needs to die with some of the other stuff still going around.

Dealers here contact you with what they find and ask permission to continue............
While the truck may have started and been driven to the dealer, that doesn't mean a battery wasn't toast.
BUT
They should have told you of the findings, not simply replace it.
These can have battery issues and you won't even know it until that one day......... and you are stuck miles from home.

OP
OP
Chris Blake

Chris Blake

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR LE
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Plumber, Daytrader
Did they inform you of the supposed bad battery before they replaced it or did they just take it upon themselves to change it and charge you?
They called me and I asked them to take the labor off which they did.

seven30

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM 6spd, 2001 Cherokee, 1992 Comanche
Occupation
Programer
The VVL system isn't as quiet as the prior versions, but to me, having owned the 3.6 since they got rid of the 4.0 (every Grand Cherokee and Cherokee we've ever owned has had the 4.0 or the 3.6)
Still, from inside the truck, hood closed, I don't hear the valve train.
If I get out with it running - and I have gotten out having forgotten to push the button to kill it - can hear the valve train. More with hood open.

The other audio clip - that one jumped out at me. No, that just is different, it's a single one for sure that is not blending in like a good marching band drummer not trying to stand out in the crowd. That one is hitting the drum head harder to get attention.

They should be like the drummers in this clip - not a one of them standing out, none of them having an accent for a note the others don't have.
Great music to read this thread by :)

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Great music to read this thread by :)
One of my favorite songs done very well by this group of greats - some of them no longer with us (Tom Petty, Gary Brooker......)
And the drums, well, those guys are SO in sync it's crazy. Powerful drumming.

545moose

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Professional
So having read through, what's the best way to describe the issues when dropping it off at the stealership? Is there an actual TSB, or am I left to just describe it all and hope they really investigate it and look into things? I've got loud taps and ticks at startup, which settles in, yet doesn't cease when it's warm. Also during driving, it can be subtle or mild at idle, to somewhat ugly on hard acceleration (even while warm) and then more noticeable at idle after the hard acceleration, such as a stoplight or hard get out into traffic, cruise a while at 55-60, then stop at a light again and listen...tick tick tick . . . .

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
So having read through, what's the best way to describe the issues when dropping it off at the stealership? Is there an actual TSB, or am I left to just describe it all and hope they really investigate it and look into things? I've got loud taps and ticks at startup, which settles in, yet doesn't cease when it's warm. Also during driving, it can be subtle or mild at idle, to somewhat ugly on hard acceleration (even while warm) and then more noticeable at idle after the hard acceleration, such as a stoplight or hard get out into traffic, cruise a while at 55-60, then stop at a light again and listen...tick tick tick . . . .
There is no one single "TSB" or even repair. Describe it just like you did here - tick.
Tick tick tick. These will not be as quiet as a BMW or Mercedes or Porsche engine, but a loud obvious valve train tick isn't normal either, especially when all warmed up.
If it's ratty sounding under acceleration - especially "hard acceleration" where you exceed 2800 rpm on the tach, that matters, too, as that's when it drops into high lift mode. The rollers on the followers/rockers are no longer involved, it's more like a flat tappet engine over 2800 RPM or so - and that is exactly where the cams and followers give out, so any tech that knows anything should latch onto that part of your complaint.
Sometimes I put it in writing - in bullet points, the most important parts first.
Trim it down, keep it 100% factual, but include important detail like if it's worse at xxx rpm and so on.

briscoelab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JTRD, 2021 JLUR, 2020 Gladiator LE
Not wanting to hi-jack this thread. But, hate starting duplicates for similar issues.

Here's a short video of mine (caveats being of course artifacts being introduced via recording on phone, etc). Not super noticeable at idle. Really loud "clack" type noise upon increased RPMs and esp when coming down from higher RPMs (ie engine braking when the overall engine noise is quieter). This was taken in park. Way louder when moving under load, but more difficult to capture depending on road noise, etc.

Very noticing in cab, despite having multiple layers of sound deadening/insulation in the floor/firewall.

Seems to be more from the passenger side of vehicle.

Trying to get an appt for next week. My dealer's service dept is crazy overbooked.

44k on the engine. 20 LE JT.

Thoughts?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Not wanting to hi-jack this thread. But, hate starting duplicates for similar issues.

Here's a short video of mine (caveats being of course artifacts being introduced via recording on phone, etc). Not super noticeable at idle. Really loud "clack" type noise upon increased RPMs and esp when coming down from higher RPMs (ie engine braking when the overall engine noise is quieter). This was taken in park. Way louder when moving under load, but more difficult to capture depending on road noise, etc.

Very noticing in cab, despite having multiple layers of sound deadening/insulation in the floor/firewall.

Seems to be more from the passenger side of vehicle.

Trying to get an appt for next week. My dealer's service dept is crazy overbooked.

44k on the engine. 20 LE JT.

Thoughts?
I had to really crank the volume on this chromebook but it was worth it as I definitely heard a problem. That's bad, IMO.
A 2020 is more likely to have the valve train issues than later years - and that's what that sounds like That's not a tick tick tick. That's a clatter. Something is really loose.
If the dealer says "can't hear it" or "that's normal", definitely push the issue and/or get a different dealer.

Sponsored

briscoelab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the reassurance something serious is going on.

We have a 21 JL with the 3.6 and it sounds nothing like this. I know what the normal startup noise is, injector noise, oil pump sounds, etc. This is distinctively different and has been growing louder, which isn’t a great sign.

Had a ‘13 Jk with the previous version 3.6 and had no issues for 125k. So I guess we dodged a bullet with the issues the other gen had.

Luck of the draw. I suppose.

Puch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Electronics technician
I just got a tick in the last month and its getting worse. I hear it at slower speeds and the sound goes away sometimes. Yesterday I hit a bump in the road and it went away for a couple seconds then came back. Any thoughts? 2020 LE with 52k on motor
I have a load ticking that suddenly showed up. Went to two dealerships. One wants to change the right bank. The other said it’s all fixed with a TSB update? That’s a new one??
Picking the JT up later today. I’m going to ask to see the TSB.

briscoelab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had to really crank the volume on this chromebook but it was worth it as I definitely heard a problem. That's bad, IMO.
A 2020 is more likely to have the valve train issues than later years - and that's what that sounds like That's not a tick tick tick. That's a clatter. Something is really loose.
If the dealer says "can't hear it" or "that's normal", definitely push the issue and/or get a different dealer.
Finally got an appointment at my dealer. Dropped it off Thursday, but went out of town Friday am thru Wednesday next week.

At least the service advisor instantly said “yeah, that’s not subtle“ :)

So I’m hopeful something is going to be done. Haven’t gotten an update from them yet though. They will probably sit on it until Tuesday… then realize they need to order parts. But, at least it’s in and in the queue.

briscoelab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update on ours:

Dropped it off end of last week and we were out of town until yesterday. So they had enough time to diagnose and fix without it being a hassle on our end.

The verified noise even when at a stop.

Tracked it down to the right bank. Found a failed intake rocker on #5 and damaged intake camshaft. Replaced all rockers, lifters and intake camshaft on that side.

Seems great at the moment. Will update if things change.

Jeep Gladiator 3.6 Engine Tick IMG_1659

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer
I can’t help or give any advice but you prompted me to go check my engine too. Sounds like mine is ticking as well. I don’t think I can hear it while on the road though.

21k miles

This video, all I here is the injectors......totally normal.
Sponsored