3.6 Engine Tick

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Do you think that https://www.baxterperformanceusa.com/product/ms-201-bk-cartridge-to-spin-on-adapter/ would help ? I am pretty baffled as it seems to be a mixed bag - some people swear by the 3.6 , others have issues. I specifically recall meeting a guy who had well north of 200k miles (can't recall the exact figure) on his Ram 1500 and would not buy a Hemi because of "the hemi tick" makes me wonder if he ended up with a ticker in the 3.6 instead lol. With the Hemi's (especially the MDS engines) lifter failures and ground up cams are pretty well cited issues. Then you have guys with the 3/4 ton trucks running the 6.4/392 that swear by them as well (with 100s of thousands of miles) is it luck of the draw? I realize that back in the day Mopar parts were known for having inconsistent castings. I just find it odd that some people can make it well past 150k miles - others have issues below 20k and need a top end rebuild.
Well if the followers are put in correctly, that is a big win, most definitely stops a ton of ground up iron from coursing through the engine.

If the cam is hardened properly another big win

If the guy putting the engine sealant on does not get crazy with the cheese wiz that will keep the VVL solenoids from clogging up,

And last but not least if the cam phazers are put in clean and not dropped, we may have a 200k motor.

But wait there is more. The latest throttlebodies and controls from 2018 and up have unstability issues resulting in premature wear out of the stepper motor in your TB.

So if all this stuff stays healthy and you do not crush your catalytic converters, the exhaust should not fail.

So long story, longer, yes it is luck of the draw. If all those things and components are done right, it is a good engine. Flub one, and welcome to the never ending story till now :)
Sponsored

jwolfejt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Engineer
Well if the followers are put in correctly, that is a big win, most definitely stops a ton of ground up iron from coursing through the engine.

If the cam is hardened properly another big win

If the guy putting the engine sealant on does not get crazy with the cheese wiz that will keep the VVL solenoids from clogging up,

And last but not least if the cam phazers are put in clean and not dropped, we may have a 200k motor.

But wait there is more. The latest throttlebodies and controls from 2018 and up have unstability issues resulting in premature wear out of the stepper motor in your TB.

So if all this stuff stays healthy and you do not crush your catalytic converters, the exhaust should not fail.

So long story, longer, yes it is luck of the draw. If all those things and components are done right, it is a good engine. Flub one, and welcome to the never ending story till now :)
*Googling Chevy Jeep JL/JT Smallblock chevy swaps* lmao.

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
*Googling Chevy Jeep JL/JT Smallblock chevy swaps* lmao.
Bruiser conversions had a great offering in that space for a decent price at 20K. I was thinking about ordering it and they took it off their site.

jwolfejt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Bruiser conversions had a great offering in that space for a decent price at 20K. I was thinking about ordering it and they took it off their site.
Yup, don’t get me wrong I’d love a Hemi swap (non MDS). But they are all pushing 40k which seems really steep. I also have a new LQ9 short lock and LS3 heads (was planning to swap into my 350z at the time) that have been sitting for 13 years or so (bought them right before I got married). Would be cool if it could mate to the stock 8speed or 8hp70

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have thought about calling bruiser and asking if they would sell the parts. LS jeep would be heavenly, fix all that is wrong with it.

Sponsored

jwolfejt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
I have thought about calling bruiser and asking if they would sell the parts. LS jeep would be heavenly, fix all that is wrong with it.
I can attest that LS engines are bulletproof (and have a ton of aftermarket support/power potential). I'd definitely do an LS swap since I already have everything (including a PCM) except for a transmission. And something I'd really want to do if I ever do have an issue down the line with my 3.6.

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I can attest that LS engines are bulletproof (and have a ton of aftermarket support/power potential). I'd definitely do an LS swap since I already have everything (including a PCM) except for a transmission. And something I'd really want to do if I ever do have an issue down the line with my 3.6.
The bruiser conversion, actually modifies the LS so it runs off the stock ECM and you do not loose any creature comforts!!!

jwolfejt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
The bruiser conversion, actually modifies the LS so it runs off the stock ECM and you do not loose any creature comforts!!!
Oh man that would be a dream

cb4017

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport Max Tow
Occupation
Retired USN and retired LEO
Motech did a JKU LS conversion for me some years ago. There are times I wish I still had it.

20180621_121343 (Medium).jpg

20180621_121620 (Medium).jpg

oceanair1

First Name
Jenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator
Now THAT ONE to me sounds abnormal - a single louder "tick". That one, IMO, does beg for more info.

If that one was mine, I'd be looking at some diagnostics, even getting an oil sample sent out. If the cam and followers are scored, there should be abnormal traces of the metals in the oil.
That's one of the more easily heard ones I'd listened to.
Could you tell me how you go about doing that? (Not super auto mechanic savvy over here). Where do you send the sample to? And how much of a sample do you get? -Thanks

Sponsored

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon

jwolfejt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Legally you would have to pick the same year or newer - so an LT-ish conversion - which means you'll be dealing with direct injection and the bullshit AFM system - so they aren't without their issues either - sure it will be more power but plenty of the LT's have had issues similar (or the same) as the MDS Hemi. The main thing i see is that the LT is more compact, less demanding cooling requirements etc. Would be cool if bruiser did sell a DIY setup. I am going to stick with the 3.6 - unless i win the lottery and have money for 42's 1ton axles and Evo's new DTD longarm coilover setup (whenever that comes out).

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I live in Southern IL so I can drive whatever. BUT their kit eliminates DI and MDS. They did have kits for the LS3 and now they modify an LX4 to standard injectors. It is really quite cool as it.uses the Jeep ECM to run the whole thing and your basic LS with all the economy bells and whistles turned off is really a work horse that can run a long time with good maintenance. I was hoping the 3.6 would prove to be that but I am not impressed. As long as you use 60% of the max duty cycle in stock formation it may work out but, if you work with it, it just does not have the guts to withstand it. My guess is that is why you see all the promaster valvtrain videos on YouTube. And soon, that will probably be Gladiators as they are formed along that same premis. A jeep that can do truck work.

jwolfejt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
I live in Southern IL so I can drive whatever. BUT their kit eliminates DI and MDS. They did have kits for the LS3 and now they modify an LX4 to standard injectors. It is really quite cool as it.uses the Jeep ECM to run the whole thing and your basic LS with all the economy bells and whistles turned off is really a work horse that can run a long time with good maintenance. I was hoping the 3.6 would prove to be that but I am not impressed. As long as you use 60% of the max duty cycle in stock formation it may work out but, if you work with it, it just does not have the guts to withstand it. My guess is that is why you see all the promaster valvtrain videos on YouTube. And soon, that will probably be Gladiators as they are formed along that same premis. A jeep that can do truck work.
deleting AFM should be a day 1 thing for anyone with these engines. I wish the people who did hemi swaps specifically used non MDS engines as well. If i could do a diesel without all the emissions crap - that would be the way i'd want to go - don't need as short of a gear to run the same tires, great fuel economy, tq and with the right diesel indestructible reliability.

OP
OP
Chris Blake

Chris Blake

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR LE
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Plumber, Daytrader
**Update** I dropped the Jeep off on july 5th. They replaced cams and valve lashes. On the way home from the shop on Aug 3rd my check engine light came on. Today, I was questioned about the oil changes and my BOH badges along with how much time I spent off-road. They said the oil was black and it had metal shavings in it. My question is, with all the work being done shouldn't the oil have been changed. Oh and I had to buy a battery even though it drove fine up there and never had battery issues.

Jeep Gladiator 3.6 Engine Tick Jeepreceipt
Sponsored