Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer
Perfect time for an LS Swap! :like:
I born and bred a GM guy.....so my JTM will get a LS swap......just to pissed off the hardcore fan bois LOL
Sponsored

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
1) Cheaper build cost
2) LS engine is a much smaller package
3) bulletproof reliability
4) LS > Hemi

Here a YT video from the owner of Bruiser Conversions:
The LS will spin up fast, they wind up with no concerns.
Crazy number of accessories or mods.

Sorry, guys, hemi is old technology and these days of modern chamber design, it's more of a name and reputation than anything else.

My preference, if I were so inclined, would be an LS package, or maybe the tornado as I'm a huge fan of the built I6. I mean if you can make over 800 hp on a 4.0, the modern I6 should be able to kill a hemi.

I'm not born and bred GM guy, but can recognize decent stuff no matter who makes it.
I've worked on almost everything over the years - I have my favorites but that doesn't mean each doesn't have something they've done right.
That old LS in my 2011 was a great engine. GM seems to be taking it even farther in the future.

Jteakus

First Name
Teakus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD, 2022 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
A few choice aftermarket mods and they really shine. However, a bone-stock LS7 can set up camp in my engine compartment whenever one would like.

Jackpaul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
@Jackpaul thanks for the feedback, yes I changed both batteries. The engine has been disassembled and is full of sludge.
Oh man, you will get a lot of shit for this related to maintenance. Jeeps that are modded and subsequently driven off road require way more maintenance than the average car due it being in a constant state of “adverse condition”. 😬

Sponsored

THE SANDALORIAN

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
1) Cheaper build cost
2) LS engine is a much smaller package
3) bulletproof reliability
4) LS > Hemi

Here a YT video from the owner of Bruiser Conversions:
It's funny to see #1. I couldn't find a JT/JL swap price from Bruiser, but the JK level 1 kit is nearly $27K. Appears that's just the cost of the kit, without install labor. At 2 weeks of shop time and labor, I can see this getting quite pricey. And again, that is JK pricing. I'm sure JL and JT owners will have to pay the "Newer Jeep Tax" like on every other aftermarket product :)

6.4L Hemi swaps with labor seem to be in the $40K range, so an LS swap might not be cheaper. I don't disagree on the other line items.

A replacement 3.6L Pentastar can be had for under $5k. Used/remanufactured for much less. Granted, you still have a 3.6L Pentastar afterwards.

Jeep Gladiator 3.6L Pentastar V6 Engine Failure 61ab10abd628f6ca6b68bcf1bfc88430

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
But.. will this be the last Jeep OP ever owns?
Count on it and he's going around to make sure others avoid them as well. His failed proving they are all junk.
It should be posted under PSAs.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
The engine has been disassembled and is full of sludge.
What did the "sludge" look like? Was it a chocolate milk or strawberry color consistency? That would indicate a coolant leaking in and mixing issue. If the classic black or dark brown and the consistency of half dried pudding, then that is classic oil sludging.

Quite frankly, the Pentastar does not have a oil sludging issue if proper oil type spec and grade was followed and the OLM oil change intervals were applied. If you had it changed by some random quickie lube place using oil of dubious quality and/or extended oil change intervals past 10K multiple times, then it is going to sludge.

Last edited:

Jobofly

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU, 2022 JTM
I guess when I do my LS swap I should keep my 3.6 to sell in the Marketplace.

I did my first oil change @ 1800 miles. I'm going to do another one this weekend, at 5500 miles now.

I normally throw about 6-8oz of Seafoam in the oil about 50-100 miles before the oil change to clean things up and prevent sludge.
yep me too. I did my first oil change at 2200 miles and am doing the next one at 6000 miles.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
What did the "sludge" look like? Was it a chocolate milk or strawberry color consistency? That would indicate a coolant leaking in and mixing issue. If the classic black or dark brown and the consistency of half dried pudding, then that is classic oil sludging.

Quite frankly, the Pentastar does not have a oil sludging issue if proper oil type spec and grade was followed and the OLM oil change intervals were applied.
That's what I came back to ask - I had left that out earlier. If there was a coolant leak, then it needs to be checked for head gasket issue, or cracked block or head.
As far as I know, these aren't known for that, either. Did it get hot?

If it's otherwise like you described (black/brown, etc.), 'nuff said.

legacy_etu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Mojave, 20 Supra, 16 Wrangler UNLTD,
So how much more involved is an LS swap from an electronics perspective. The nice thing about the Hemi is it is still compatible with the ecu, bcu and other electronic stuff. How does the LS talk to all the mopar electronics? Anyone, McFly…….

Nevermind, just watched one of those videos.

Elff

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TJ Rubicon, Buell XBRS
Occupation
Interwebs
Vehicle Showcase
So... when can I start posting off topic memes?
Screw it. I am going first
Jeep Gladiator 3.6L Pentastar V6 Engine Failure 1677115181760

I would like to see answers on the Sludge and what Oil were you using.
and yea
Sometimes, shit just breaks randomly. You are out of warranty, so there is no obligation for them to repair your stuff for free or at a discount.
It would be nice, but expecting it, is self entitlement.