Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Lol, honestly, I don't give a shit enough about spacers to find more for you. They don't interest me in the slightest. But at least you know the maintenance they require and can run them with no problems.
I'm just giving you a hard time
Sponsored

stil2low

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Occupation
Steel plant
I’ve tried searching through my photos, I’ve personally seen a spacer fail. My good buddy ran them for a short while on his TJ, we just got out of a trail we were on all day and travelling down the highway when the wheel came off
Thankfully we never stopped to reconnect so he never lost control and it was a quiet day so no traffic (a lot of our highways are just 2 lane up here) for the tire to hit
I still prefer a proper back spaced wheel, but will still run a spacer if needed. Just check them after every ride lol

I do have a good comparison picture of the same 35x12.5 on a 10”, 9” and 7.5” wheel
Jeep Gladiator 35x12.50 17 on 7.5 stock wheel 5E393DE9-1D44-4E77-B3DD-0F6CBD9C002F

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi, 18 JLU Rubi, 2008 JKU Rubi, 07 Vette
I’ve tried searching through my photos, I’ve personally seen a spacer fail. My good buddy ran them for a short while on his TJ, we just got out of a trail we were on all day and travelling down the highway when the wheel came off
Thankfully we never stopped to reconnect so he never lost control and it was a quiet day so no traffic (a lot of our highways are just 2 lane up here) for the tire to hit
I still prefer a proper back spaced wheel, but will still run a spacer if needed. Just check them after every ride lol

I do have a good comparison picture of the same 35x12.5 on a 10”, 9” and 7.5” wheel
Jeep Gladiator 35x12.50 17 on 7.5 stock wheel 5E393DE9-1D44-4E77-B3DD-0F6CBD9C002F
That's a neat visual comparison!

npgeorgeuw

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R and 2017 Chevrolet Bolt
Occupation
Business Owner
You can do it, you could be fine, but if you aren't fine you won't be happy. The issue is the tire is looking to spread it's inner locking mechanism a certain width to seat properly. If it isnt spread enough it will not be seated properly and more prone to failure. I would say this is more a nono long term than spacers. At least spacers will be held in by loctite, too narrow a rim will open up to poorly seated tires with no remedy like loctite.

The issues can become more pronounced in cornering where the tire is kinda left on it's own with no structure from the rim to guide it.

on a 7.5 or 8 inch rim? I don't think that the bulge at normal operating pressures are that bad. I'd also like to point out that different tires hold/position that weight differently. At least with my 12.5 inch nokians, the contact patch at comparable PSIs is VERY different than the AT3Ws I run in the Summer. The "bulge" between the 12.4 inch tire with the 7.5 inch rim vs my 10.5 inch rim with the 12.5 inch AT3Ws isn't massively different either even with two more inches of rim. I get your point about what is supporting the tire but we aren't talking sedan tires either. These are all reinforced truck tires comparing things relatively. I'd imagine that as long as PSIs are maintained in an optimal range and that tires are rotated properly and don't have massive uneven wear, I just don't feel like there would be a tangible risk. Never say never but is that risk any more than driving down the interstate any day or time? All I know is that the factories that make the tires have recommendations and they wouldn't have those recommendations if liability was an issue. If a 12.4 inch tire can be mounted to stock rims, I would be amazed and stunned if a 12.5 inch tire can be any different. For my Nokians, 12.4 was okay on a 7.5, the Discount Tire guy was ready to argue but they looked up and found it's within their recommended wheel width.

Sponsored

Nitroexpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, '82 Jeep CJ-8,
i am looking to upgrade tires and there is not much out there to choose from. i want to keep it stock looking tucked under the flares. everyone is saying not to mount 12.50's on a 7.5 rim. i have seen plenty of people using 12.50's on 7.5 they either need to make a narrower tire or change their specs.
If you don't want to mount a 12.5" wide tire on a 7.5" wheel, there are two really good options for a 11.5" wide tire:

For A/T:
https://www.toyotires.com/product/open-country-at3

For M/T:
https://www.nittotire.com/light-truck-tires/trail-grappler-mud-terrain-light-truck-tire/

I've got 45k miles on the 35x11.5x17 Nitto's and have been perfectly happy with the Performance on/off road and longevity. They have a lot of hard off-road miles and I have not experienced a single failure or flat.

If you don't want all that comes with having a M/T, the Toyo's are excellent. The only consideration I can't offer much help with is snow performance.

Rockabillyroy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
If you don't want to mount a 12.5" wide tire on a 7.5" wheel, there are two really good options for a 11.5" wide tire:

For A/T:

For M/T:
https://www.nittotire.com/light-truck-tires/trail-grappler-mud-terrain-light-truck-tire/

I've got 45k miles on the 35x11.5x17 Nitto's and have been perfectly happy with the Performance on/off road and longevity. They have a lot of hard off-road miles and I have not experienced a single failure or flat.

If you don't want all that comes with having a M/T, the Toyo's are excellent. The only consideration I can't offer much help with is snow performance.
Unfortunately, those toyo have been on national back order forever.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi, 18 JLU Rubi, 2008 JKU Rubi, 07 Vette

For A/T:

For M/T:

Love the Toyo. I like the Nittos, too, but I've never understood why Nittos are so heavy.

CMac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT, Toyota Highlander, HD FLHRC and FLSTSCI
Occupation
Professional Aviator
Running the 35x17x12.5 BF Goodrich K02 on the mopar steel wheels for a year now. Wheeled with them. Lot of freeway. No issues at all.
Huge fan of the Mopar Steelies: cheap, simple, rugged…kinda how Jeep was, way back in the day.

Sponsored

Nitroexpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, '82 Jeep CJ-8,
Love the Toyo. I like the Nittos, too, but I've never understood why Nittos are so heavy.
Indeed, they are heavy. I can't explain why, but I can assume it may have something to do with heavy-duty construction. While mine show quite a bit of 'chunking', they have endured a harsh life and spent a lot of time at 10 PSI with not even a slow leak. I can't say that for most of the extensive list of off-road tires I have run. This was my first set of Nitto and were selected due to them being the only option in the size I wanted in an M/T. I had never considered Nitto prior.

rafaelsmith

First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Software Engineer
Getting ready to put 35s on my stock JTR. Had my mine made up to get MT Baja ATs but looks like will be some time before those are off backorder. I really liked the aggressive (almost MT) look and the AT/MT hybrid approach of those...plus all the good reviews. Living in Florida I need something that does good in rain and "florida ice". Any other suggestions?....buddy at work recommended Duratracs?

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Getting ready to put 35s on my stock JTR. Had my mine made up to get MT Baja ATs but looks like will be some time before those are off backorder. I really liked the aggressive (almost MT) look and the AT/MT hybrid approach of those...plus all the good reviews. Living in Florida I need something that does good in rain and "florida ice". Any other suggestions?....buddy at work recommended Duratracs?
Really like my Kanati Trail Hogs, they are a Hybrid tire and did great in the recent ice and snow storms we had over the last 14 days here in North Carolina. They also are great in the rain, maybe one of the best tires I've ran in the rain. I'd even Go as far as to say they are at least equal to the BFG KO2S in the rain and that use to be my only go to tire before I decided to try these. I have not been disappointed and they have a aggressive tread design. I've been running them since October and have just over 10,000 miles on them so far and they are wearing great.

Jeep Gladiator 35x12.50 17 on 7.5 stock wheel PXL_20211111_121139651

rafaelsmith

First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Software Engineer
Really like my Kanati Trail Hogs, they are a Hybrid tire and did great in the recent ice and snow storms we had over the last 14 days here in North Carolina. They also are great in the rain, maybe one of the best tires I've ran in the rain. I'd even Go as far as to say they are at least equal to the BFG KO2S in the rain and that use to be my only go to tire before I decided to try these. I have not been disappointed and they have a aggressive tread design. I've been running them since October and have just over 10,000 miles on them so far and they are wearing great.

Jeep Gladiator 35x12.50 17 on 7.5 stock wheel PXL_20211111_121139651
Thanks. First ive heard of those.. They do look nice and sounds like perform well. To bad not available via DiscountTire as they are the only ones around me that were ever willing to install non-OE sized tires on my stock Jeeps.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks. First ive heard of those.. They do look nice and sounds like perform well. To bad not available via DiscountTire as they are the only ones around me that were ever willing to install non-OE sized tires on my stock Jeeps.
I bought mine from another source and had discount tire install them, maybe you can go that route as well.
Sponsored