Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Sarge Mojave, ‘21 VW Tiguan SEL-P RLine
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Security Engineer, First Sergeant
Did anyone else's HVAC stop working properly immediately after installing the new steering wheel?

After changing the wheel, when I reconnected the batteries, the theme on the touchscreen changed. (Not sure if that's a symptom or whether it's expected.) I went ahead and started the engine to check that everything was working properly, and the HVAC temperatures I got when I used the up and down arrow buttons on the dash are displayed as either HI or LO, and the air it blows is HOT unless I turn on Max AC. If I try to adjust the temperatures using the sliders on the touchscreen, the numbers change, but go right back to LO when I take my finger off of the screen. This happened even before I activated the paddles using JScan.

Now that I have activated the paddles using JScan, they are working as expected. As far as I can tell, all of the buttons on the front and back of the wheel are working as expected as well. There are no HVAC-related codes showing up in JScan. But the HVAC is still behaving as above.

Also a whole bunch of Setup screen menu items are missing, like "Safety/Driving Assistance", "Aux Switches", etc. Seems like either having the wheel connected is confusing things, or the computer didn't appreciate the loss of power.

I've disconnected the batteries again, and I'll let it sit for a couple of hours before I reconnect and try again. So weird!
Unfortunately (but thankfully in your case) that’s a side effect of disconnecting the battery. It’ll go back to normal after a bit.
Sponsored

abe57

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Occupation
retired
Vehicle Showcase
Yes give it some time and all apps will come back and temp controls should go back to normal

gt3mike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Fun. I just reconnected the battery after leaving it disconnected overnight. I'll give it an hour or two, then start it up and see what I've got.

abe57

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Occupation
retired
Vehicle Showcase
You may have to cycle it a few times also.

Sponsored

abe57

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Occupation
retired
Vehicle Showcase
What's your definition of "cycle"? Drive it a few times? Start It a few times? Turn it on and off a few times?
Start it up a few times with time in-between start ups

zuki_dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
92 miata & cherokee, 06 ram 2500, 15 mustang,
Occupation
Aircraft Examiner
Paddles fit the rubicon heated wheel perferctly. Threedom covers also fit the openings perfect!

Now to reinstall the wheel and program the paddles.
Jeep Gladiator 392 Steering Wheel Retrofit 20220620_144640
Jeep Gladiator 392 Steering Wheel Retrofit 20220620_144634

abe57

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Occupation
retired
Vehicle Showcase
So how did everyone kill power ? I disconnected my main battery and removed the ground on the inside fender next to the battery but I still have dash lights .did everyone here still have power when removing the center St wheel air bag ?

Aberk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Viper, 2020 Rubicon JT
So how did everyone kill power ? I disconnected my main battery and removed the ground on the inside fender next to the battery but I still have dash lights .did everyone here still have power when removing the center St wheel air bag ?
I disconnected the main, but that was ultimately pointless because of how everything is wired and I am still alive. I'm not saying it was the correct way to do it, but its what I did.

Sponsored

friskeljr

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Air Force
I disconnected the main, but that was ultimately pointless because of how everything is wired and I am still alive. I'm not saying it was the correct way to do it, but its what I did.
what about pulling the airbag fuze. thats what we always did with my other vehicles.

friskeljr

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Air Force
Makes sense to do that. But I just leaned off to the side and let my wife know if she heard a bang to come check on me. Like I said, not the best laid plan.
its a good plan of it worked.

LOGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJ Rubicon
Threedom will have it's Gladiator, with Paddle Shifters installed on it and other Threedom product offerings installed on it, displayed at our booth on vendor's row at Jeep Beach 2022 / Daytona Beach Speedway, this coming Fri. and Sat. 4/29 & 4/30.

Please, stop by and say Hi ......and take a look at our JT/JL product offerings.... that will be on display and available for purchase there.. We will also be taking orders.

We'll also have all of our products offerings for the JK displayed and available for purchase.
We are planning to have caps available there for the early year TJ, too.

We will have the paddle shifter kits for JL/JT displayed and maybe even some available for purchase.

We really look forward to seeing you there...

Steering Wheel & Paddle Shifters Retrofit Kit

https://mythreedom.com/products/392-paddle-shift-kit

Jeep Gladiator 392 Steering Wheel Retrofit 20220620_144634
So I'm late to this problem and I don't feel like reading this long thread. Can I just get the 300 dollar option and add the paddles to my Rubi wheel?