• Total voters

Sublime

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gecko Green 2021 Sport S
Well, I love ambitions, and Gladiators on 40's. I have my Max tow on 37's with a 4.5" lift. I would say this is the only way to go with 37's unless articulation isn't important. I can just about touch my fenders with my tires at max flex with this setup, but I use my JT for trails, camping and Overlanding. I had the 2" lift and there was not enough articulation for the 34" tires thus I went to the 4.5" and 37's with a better offset & wider wheel. I would say if you are going to get your JT dirty and go on any trails, I would highly recommend the 6" suspension lift for the 40's, which then opens up Pandora's box. For the 6" lift you are going to need new drive shafts, and better gearing. 37's are a stretch for the 4:10 gearing. If its not a max tow, I would consider better axles as the 37's are a stretch for the Dana 44's as well. If you just want to look cool in a clean truck and drive on dirt roads once in a while, enjoy the 40's on the setup you are envisioning. Get some pics posted, would love to see your JT.
Regarding your comment if not going Max Tow upgrade the axles. From what I understand the max tow axles are only 1.5" total wider than non max tow. Still dana 44 and same 32 spline. The higher gear is a plus but at 40s I would think we would be looking at a 5:13 from what I've seen is most common for this size.
Sponsored

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
Everyone knows the only thing better than DDs is 40s.

Jonny A

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
Bridge Construction and Maintenance
Nah. Ill say what i want when i want.

My post was absolutely clear on my support for him running big axles and big tires. But people saying they “needed” it for camping trips isnt helpful or supportive to the newbie who is asking questions and doesnt know better and doesnt know whats really involved in going that big. Thats how people get set up for failure, and i wont be party to that.

You want support dressed up bullshit, then feel free to do so. Im going to cut it as real as i see it every time, and no one is ever going to change that.

Got it??
I did not see your post as a negative either. It was straight to the point. If it REALLY is not needed, then it is an ego thing. Like needing 40s and a lift to go camping. Ego is real and also a legit reason to go big. You want to rock crawl, visit the toughest trails? It may behoove you to go big. Have the coolest looking beast in the Mall parking lot? Again go big, maybe even bigger, especially if you want to be the hero.
Back in late '80s early '90s I customed out my '84 HD Softail, it was the best looking, loudest badass thing outside the bar. What that ever did for my ego. You know? I was a hero in my own mind. Good times those days.
Ego lift and wheels, legit.

Sponsored

bring44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Professor
I think it's funny that some folks are turning their nose down at tires based in an 0.1 of an inch measurement....let alone an inch (e.g., 37 vs. 38; or tires that measure 36.2").

Trippin01

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX450h, 23' Supra
Occupation
Deputy Sheriff & Retired Army
Vehicle Showcase
I think it's funny that some folks are turning their nose down at tires based in an 0.1 of an inch measurement....let alone an inch (e.g., 37 vs. 38; or tires that measure 36.2").
Tire weight goes from around 46lbs to 75-80lbs, x’s that by 4 and everything is working harder. Go from a 10” width to a 12.5” width and things don’t fit the same. Want it to be 100% functional? Bigger tires = more than just a little lift. I love to hit the trails, i don’t use it as a daily driver. Just say’n, if you want to do it right keep researching, I doubt many will steer you wrong here.

Mopar King

First Name
Skyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2020 JLU, 2022 JLU 392
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
CFO - Logistics Company
Well, I love ambitions, and Gladiators on 40's. I have my Max tow on 37's with a 4.5" lift. I would say this is the only way to go with 37's unless articulation isn't important. I can just about touch my fenders with my tires at max flex with this setup, but I use my JT for trails, camping and Overlanding. I had the 2" lift and there was not enough articulation for the 34" tires thus I went to the 4.5" and 37's with a better offset & wider wheel. I would say if you are going to get your JT dirty and go on any trails, I would highly recommend the 6" suspension lift for the 40's, which then opens up Pandora's box. For the 6" lift you are going to need new drive shafts, and better gearing. 37's are a stretch for the 4:10 gearing. If its not a max tow, I would consider better axles as the 37's are a stretch for the Dana 44's as well. If you just want to look cool in a clean truck and drive on dirt roads once in a while, enjoy the 40's on the setup you are envisioning. Get some pics posted, would love to see your JT.
Great post! There are several ways to accomplish running 40's with no rubbing at full articulation. I have 40's on a 4" long arm lift and they do not rub at full articulation. This was accomplished by custom fitted and trimmed inner fenders.
Keeping to your point - there is for sure a fair amount of work to be done to have 40's and be fully capable. I personally wouldn't have went with 40's if 6" of lift was needed.

Mopar King

First Name
Skyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2020 JLU, 2022 JLU 392
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
CFO - Logistics Company
Regarding your comment if not going Max Tow upgrade the axles. From what I understand the max tow axles are only 1.5" total wider than non max tow. Still dana 44 and same 32 spline. The higher gear is a plus but at 40s I would think we would be looking at a 5:13 from what I've seen is most common for this size.
The gearing charts put me in 4.88s for 40s.

Sponsored

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Granite Crystal Metallic JKR; 2016 Daytona Grey Audi A5 Competition Package
Yeah that can work. Here is what I found.
People need to stop posting that; it’s only applicable to the JK 5-speed auto.

Use this one instead for the 8-speed.

Jeep Gladiator 40" tires... Talk me out of it 15A4F4B3-C13F-4090-9947-2BB0512137D7

jurfie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)