Sponsored

6 Speed Manual Regrets?

Gobistick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Landrover 110 and Gladiator Sport S
The manual transmission is one of the main reasons I bought the Gladiator. I recognize that the auto industry is working hard to kill off manual transmissions but I remain unabashedly devoted to rowing my own gears. This 6MT has some quirks for me and some strong points. On the downside, clutch take-up from first is unpredictable especially during the break-in. If you have a lot of manual experience you'll be surprised how difficult it is to start smoothly from a stop.. Once you're used to it and there has been some break in, all is forgiven. On the up side the shifting is very smooth and precise, shifting is very enjoyable throughout the range. In daily driving the box is really only a five speed, six gear only offers you an additional way to collect speeding tickets.. In my opinion this transmission feels like a quality piece of engineering. It's not a rock crusher of old, nor is it a sports car box. I find it to be a very confident light truck daily driver transmission.
Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi, 18 JLU Rubi, 2008 JKU Rubi, 07 Vette
The auto is meant to shift more for climbing hills, but it is done automatically, no clutch work, faster between the gears and such. No work load on the driver. It can be annoying when you approach a hill in 6th gear that you think you're going to get up without downshifting only to find nope, gotta shift but then you're behind the momentum curve and you are accelerating up the hill instead of holding speed. The auto is just smoother with its 2 extra gears (had the same transmission in my RAM 1500 ecodiesel so I can attest to how it drives)...this isn't me regretting my MT, but just giving the OP information since he hasn't decided on what he wants.
So a driver who opted for the work load of shifting now complains about the work load of shifting? LOL! The whole entire point of the manual is to shift yourself. So why complain about doing what it was designed to do and what you wanted it to do? That complaint just makes no sense to me, at all.

Empty Pockets

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S, Sting Ray, 6 Speed (YES!)
It can be annoying when you approach a hill in 6th gear that you think you're going to get up without downshifting only to find nope, gotta shift but then you're behind the momentum curve and you are accelerating up the hill instead of holding speed.
Part of learning to drive a manual is anticipating when to shift. Getting used to the torque curve of the engine and the shift points that work best in different scenarios is , to me, an enjoyable part of driving. With the manual I feel I am the operator of the car, not just the guy behind the wheel. I’ve been doing it for so many years that I don’t even think about when to shift, I just do it. When in my wife’s car and the automatic starts fumbling around on a hill (down shift, no up shift, no down shift....:maybe) it drives me bat-ass crazy. It makes me feel like I’m totally out of control. Shift the auto to “manual mode” and use the paddles? Naw....tried that in my last truck. It ain’t the same.
Safe to say if the auto industry finally kills the manual I will be rebuilding my JT when the time comes. At 62 I can see this may last me a lifetime.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I didn't get a M.T. JT now would I have? Yes if not a hit on towing and I test drove one. I didn't like how "light " the clutch pedal feel is I don't think the clutch or it will last.. part 2 of answer auto makers are doing as said trying to "kill" manual transmissions it seems aka not much R&D in them. The 6 speed manual transmission in my LJ is a champion. I got just short of 250,000 miles out of the clutch. With gear oil changes, it was sold as never needing changed. To do that over I would have changed it at first 10000 miles then ever 50000 to 80000 miles after or 1 to 2 years. I always want to have a auto transmission vehicle in my stable.... after I severed my toe driving a M.T. was not happening easily. Injury of a leg, foot ect. Not saying it can't be done but. Heck I drove my LJ 40 some miles after crushing my left ankle... With some pain :crying: to say the least.
I've driven manual transmission trucks from 5 tons to pickups, cars, 44 pax buses even a old Army 5 ton wrecker. Hell I'd love to have a M35 w/ winch, don't have a need for it but I still want one.
Now with the way some people here change vehicles like some change their socks it probably won't matter to them. But I buy with the plan of driving the hell out of it, I've went over 20000 miles already at 10 months. Now about to order replacement brake pads to have on hand for replacement.

Food2000

First Name
vinh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
Driven MT my whole life (35) and love my 6MT Gladiator.

Drawbacks IMO for me:

- Wife can't help with driving.
- Offroad Crawling: I have the sport and with 35's with 3.73 gears... lots of stalling. I have sinced regeared 4.88 so we'll see if that helps.
*Edit* now with the regear, i am much happier on the rocks and my 6th gear is useful now.

Other than the above, i enjoy driving it.. my buddy when he first drove it said "wow.. this thing feel nuts.... i have not driven a manual for a long time."

Last edited:

Sponsored

cgflyer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon MT, 2013 Ford Focus ST
Occupation
United States Coast Guard
Part of learning to drive a manual is anticipating when to shift. Getting used to the torque curve of the engine and the shift points that work best in different scenarios is , to me, an enjoyable part of driving. With the manual I feel I am the operator of the car, not just the guy behind the wheel. I’ve been doing it for so many years that I don’t even think about when to shift, I just do it. When in my wife’s car and the automatic starts fumbling around on a hill (down shift, no up shift, no down shift....:maybe) it drives me bat-ass crazy. It makes me feel like I’m totally out of control. Shift the auto to “manual mode” and use the paddles? Naw....tried that in my last truck. It ain’t the same.
Safe to say if the auto industry finally kills the manual I will be rebuilding my JT when the time comes. At 62 I can see this may last me a lifetime.
I guess my earlier comment wasn't clear, I'm 44 and been driving a manual since I was 16...this isn't a matter of knowing when to shift and when not to. Different days, different hills, different winds, you name it can affect the performance of a vehicle...there are hills that I think I should get up in 6th, but then you feel the struggle start. If you don't shift before the struggle, you are recovering from that. I have climbed the same hill one day without shifting but have had to go to 4th on other days. I'm a driver, spend a lot of time behind the wheel (average 40,000 miles a year) so I can safely comment I think about how different cars handle and I've driven a lot of cars in my driving history both autos and manuals.

cgflyer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon MT, 2013 Ford Focus ST
Occupation
United States Coast Guard
So a driver who opted for the work load of shifting now complains about the work load of shifting? LOL! The whole entire point of the manual is to shift yourself. So why complain about doing what it was designed to do and what you wanted it to do? That complaint just makes no sense to me, at all.
I wasn't complaining, was comparing for the OP the differences he may experience in the MT vs AT...again, I've been driving MT for 32 years, I know what I was getting when I bought my MT Gladiator and it is my 3rd MT Jeep, 2nd Pentastar...I knew the capabilities of the engine and transmission. I never complained and clearly stated in my comment "made no sense to you" that it was for comparison purposes for the OP...I know nothing about that person, I don't know if they have ever driven a MT Jeep or many MT vehicles (I have probably driven 3-4 dozen MT vehicles) and just as many automatics...He is asking for opinions on whether or not he should get the MT Gladiator and was just giving him things to think about. Every driver is different, I spend a lot time in my car as stated in my last comment, that means I eat in my car often, sometimes in traffic...it's not always easy or convenient to shift gears with a quarter pounder in your hand...NOT a complaint, just a fact. So maybe you weren't trying to piss in my cheerios, but you can re-read my comments and maybe find sense in something that I think was pretty clear.

Gatorac

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Max Tow, Mazda Miata, Audi SQ5
Occupation
Motor-sports Event Manager
My advice to the OP, test drive one before buying a 6MT. I typically only buy manuals. My wife only wants to drive manuals. I was excited to think I could have a truck with manual now. I was disappointed by the manual Rubicon I drove. The acceleration is well below the auto. The may be off and I suspect the engine is torque limited by the computer as well. I'm very pleased with the performance of my auto Max-Tow. I do miss rowing the gears though.

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
It is quick, smooth shifting, and the Pentastar plays really well with it. That engine loves to rev and I just can't keep my foot out of it. It pulls strong right off the line and not only keeps pulling all the way to red line, but it gets a bit of a kick in the pants at 4500 and up as the variable valves hit their 2nd stage.
Yes, it does!
The shifter is vibration free and the throws feel shorter than they really are. The JK felt like a dump truck compared to the Aisin transmission in the JL and JT.
To quote Marty McFly, "all the best stuff is made in Japan".
The only reason I'd hesitate on the Gladiator is that it takes a hit on towing. But if I wasn't going to tow, I'd go manual all the way.
Just depends on individual needs. I did "max tow" (nearly 4000 lbs) with my MT Overland heat of summer, interstates, and used 5th on the flats and 4th on the hills. No issues.
. . . when I was ordering it and thought about the auto for a minute because it is a great transmission, too, my beautiful wife said, "It isn't a real Jeep without a manual transmission." That snapped me right out of it and also saved me 2 grand.
Beautiful and smart.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wasn't complaining, was comparing for the OP the differences he may experience in the MT vs AT...again, I've been driving MT for 32 years, I know what I was getting when I bought my MT Gladiator and it is my 3rd MT Jeep, 2nd Pentastar...I knew the capabilities of the engine and transmission. I never complained and clearly stated in my comment "made no sense to you" that it was for comparison purposes for the OP...I know nothing about that person, I don't know if they have ever driven a MT Jeep or many MT vehicles (I have probably driven 3-4 dozen MT vehicles) and just as many automatics...He is asking for opinions on whether or not he should get the MT Gladiator and was just giving him things to think about. Every driver is different, I spend a lot time in my car as stated in my last comment, that means I eat in my car often, sometimes in traffic...it's not always easy or convenient to shift gears with a quarter pounder in your hand...NOT a complaint, just a fact. So maybe you weren't trying to piss in my cheerios, but you can re-read my comments and maybe find sense in something that I think was pretty clear.
I didn't say you were complaining. I said, "...a driver who opted for the work load of shifting now complains about the work load of shifting?"

I've heard the complaint before in many other threads before this one. Not trying to whizz in anyone's Cheerios. I would have said "You are..." if I meant you.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, it does!

To quote Marty McFly, "all the best stuff is made in Japan".

Just depends on individual needs. I did "max tow" (nearly 4000 lbs) with my MT Overland heat of summer, interstates, and used 5th on the flats and 4th on the hills. No issues.

Beautiful and smart.
Lol! What's funny is that the JK dump truck tranny is German! I still love it anyway, as much of a rough beast as it is. One thing they did do right on the JK was the 5th and 6th gear ratios.

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Part of learning to drive a manual is anticipating when to shift. Getting used to the torque curve of the engine and the shift points that work best in different scenarios is , to me, an enjoyable part of driving. With the manual I feel I am the operator of the car, not just the guy behind the wheel.
Completely agree with this.

Deleted member 30519

Anyone have the pedal commander on the 6spd? I heard it works wonders.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Anyone have the pedal commander on the 6spd? I heard it works wonders.
I've heard of it. My JL has not experienced what that thing is supposed to fix, which is a delay in the throttle-by-wire. The JK was notorious for this under certain conditions, and this product worked well from what I've heard and read. My JK occasionally experienced it but I've adjusted driving style and it is a non-issue. I've not even once experienced a throttle delay in the JL, so I'm of the opinion that it is a solution in search of a problem on the JL. But it may help someone. I'll defer to someone who has used it.

My other concern is the cost. The JK version was expensive enough that it would not have been worth it.

anavrinIV

First Name
Chaz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mazdaspeed3, 1956 F100
Occupation
Engineer
I bought a manual because I wanted it. I have no problems stalling (except last weekend backing up a trailer but I wasn't used to pushing a load), the clutch in this is lighter but has a very similar take-up as the mazdaspeeds I've been driving for almost 10 years now.

I do wish it could tow more but I don't expect to tow often so really it would just be a nice to have. I would like to know what the limiting factor in the tow rating is, if it's the clutch that can be pretty easily remedied.
Sponsored