First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT
Occupation
Nurse
For a weekend "fun" vehicle, manual transmission is great. But for those of us 40+ y/o, especially those who have already had surgery on their left knee, automatic transmission is a must for a daily driver.
Take more Ibuprofen and enjoy your 40s!
Sponsored

Knightindullarmor

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys Edition
Occupation
Firearms Instructor
Pushing 50. Ibuprofen stopped working almost 30 years ago when me & guys in my line unit (1st Bn. 2nd Marines,, Bravo Co.) Would pop 2400mg of ibuprofen before morning PT. Civvies have no clue what high-speed military personnel endure. So yes, manual transmission is only for weekend toys for me & my boys. Daily driver has to be automatic.

AustinL911

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT
Occupation
Nurse
Pushing 50. Ibuprofen stopped working almost 30 years ago when me & guys in my line unit (1st Bn. 2nd Marines,, Bravo Co.) Would pop 2400mg of ibuprofen before morning PT. Civvies have no clue what high-speed military personnel endure. So yes, manual transmission is only for weekend toys for me & my boys. Daily driver has to be automatic.
When do you start dialysis?

I kid, I kid. Thank you and your kidneys for your service.

rcwhat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mojave
It is of note that while the peak torque is up high, it is still a very flat curve with 90% of peak torque coming in at around 1500 rpm. So when you get up high, it isn't really the torque peak you are getting into but rather the part of the band where the horsepower really comes on.
I’m not sure where you’re getting this from but the pentastar 3.6 doesn’t even make 150lbft of torque at 2000rpms. Nevermind 90% at 1500rpm.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi, 18 JLU Rubi, 2008 JKU Rubi, 07 Vette
I’m not sure where you’re getting this from but the pentastar 3.6 doesn’t even make 150lbft of torque at 2000rpms. Nevermind 90% at 1500rpm.
Typo. 2500. It gets to about 230 at 2500. Thanks for alerting me to it.

Actually, I've seen a power curve from FCA that showed 175 maybe 180 ft. lbs at 1500, which is probably at the crank, in reference to the Gladiator version, which is the same as the JL version. 150 or slightly less at 1500 might be at the rear wheels.

It is still a pretty flat torque curve compared to many engines. But the horsepower increases in a pretty steep and linear manner right up to almost readline.

This one below claims to come from FCA factory data.

Jeep Gladiator 6 Speed Manual Regrets? 1625930388000

Last edited:

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
For a weekend "fun" vehicle, manual transmission is great. But for those of us 40+ y/o, especially those who have already had surgery on their left knee, automatic transmission is a must for a daily driver.
I'm a little younger, but my wife is in her 40s, and drives manual every day. I taught her how, and now she won't drive anything else. That's after 2 acl surgeries! I just absolutely love driving manual, wouldn't have it any other way, traffic or no traffic. Maybe we're gluttons for punishment, but we both love shifting gears! We both do 18-20k miles a year, so our vehicles are more than weekenders.

seven30

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM 6spd, 2001 Cherokee, 1992 Comanche
Occupation
Programer
Knee surgery and clutch = no go. But as a JT manual owner the two plate clutch is very very light.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acetaminophen (not an NSAID) is known to hit the liver hard, but NSAIDs in general are notoriously nephrotoxic.
I've always just stuck with aspirin. But not in large quantities, of course. I've had an uncle that had serous liver problems with Acetaminophen. This is the first I've learned of problems with NSAIDS and kidneys, but I've never heard of anyone requiring large doses until this thread. I'm sorry to hear about that.

And @EJWF11 thank you for your service. This is yet another way I've learned that some of our wonderful service men and women pay a price for defending our country. Please know you are appreciated deeply.

EJWF11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
I've always just stuck with aspirin. But not in large quantities, of course. I've had an uncle that had serous liver problems with Acetaminophen. This is the first I've learned of problems with NSAIDS and kidneys, but I've never heard of anyone requiring large doses until this thread. I'm sorry to hear about that.

And @EJWF11 thank you for your service. This is yet another way I've learned that some of our wonderful service men and women pay a price for defending our country. Please know you are appreciated deeply.
You need to give @Knightindullarmor some thanks too!

Hamandcamo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pinto
Occupation
Actor
Had some questions for you fellow manual owners. I have noticed three things that I thought were odd at 4k miles on mine...
1. If I am on flat ground, i dont need to give any gas in first gear to take off if i take the clutch out very slow.
2. Any incline or I need to take off like i would in other manual vehicles (not fast but normally), I need to get up to about 1300-1700 rpm before releasing the clutch. 1k under these conditions is close to stalling out/i feep like im riding the clutch. My dad is a truck driver and car tester but didnt think that was odd.
3. Reverse gear feels way too fast

I owned a manual frontier before this, and I thought that the three above items were odd. Ive had zero codes, and i have the updated control code. I love it otherwise and dont regret it at all.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You need to give @Knightindullarmor some thanks too!
Absolutely! Thank you @Knightindullarmor ! I know there are others around here who haven't shared or said much about it but also served, as well. I'm deeply grateful for all of them. I'm also sad to hear of any suffering they may endure from it. That's a burden they carry for our freedom and safety.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had some questions for you fellow manual owners. I have noticed three things that I thought were odd at 4k miles on mine...
1. If I am on flat ground, i dont need to give any gas in first gear to take off if i take the clutch out very slow.
2. Any incline or I need to take off like i would in other manual vehicles (not fast but normally), I need to get up to about 1300-1700 rpm before releasing the clutch. 1k under these conditions is close to stalling out/i feep like im riding the clutch. My dad is a truck driver and car tester but didnt think that was odd.
3. Reverse gear feels way too fast

I owned a manual frontier before this, and I thought that the three above items were odd. Ive had zero codes, and i have the updated control code. I love it otherwise and dont regret it at all.
1. Much of that is to do with the very short first gear.

2. I don't experience that so much. What size tires and axle ratio are you running? Remember, too, mine is a JLUR and is a bit lighter than a similarly equipped JTR.

3. Yep, it is really too tall, IMO. I'd love for it to be quite a bit shorter. I'm getting ready to re-gear to 4.56 (35" tires) and I am sure even then I'll feel reverse is too tall.

One more thing....You really own a Pinto? If so, that's pretty cool! I haven't seen one in years!
Sponsored