Sponsored

7” vs 8.4” Radio

Evilhomer 0||||||||0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
This for sure. The 8.4" is a great size, but the 12" is very modern and in line with the times. The 7" seems so old school. Yes, manufacturers make it modern by adding Car Play/Android Auto to it, but aside from that it's just medium sized tablet.
Agreed. The 7inch should be at least bare bones standard radio, it's hardly an upgrade. The 5 inch is simply insulting.
Sponsored

Rex3rd

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Pontiac GTO
Agreed. The 7inch should be at least bare bones standard radio, it's hardly an upgrade. The 5 inch is simply insulting.
Except for old folks where the 5 is huge and they just want there old 8 track or people who just want to enjoy the basics. I kinda like the idea of keeping the radio off and just listen to the great outdoors and the Jeep as one purr with there greatness

Evilhomer 0||||||||0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Hopefully they have some kinks worked out. The 5 inch is not real popular over on the JL forums. Common complaints are that its buggy, freezes and is simply frustrating to deal with. Seems that a few folks have had to have their radios replaced after months of back and forths with dealers, who aren't well equipped to deal with audio and head unit trouble.

LongTimeListener

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
Except for old folks where the 5 is huge and they just want there old 8 track or people who just want to enjoy the basics. I kinda like the idea of keeping the radio off and just listen to the great outdoors and the Jeep as one purr with there greatness
Nope. You need a good stereo to cover up the inevitable rattles.

guntrust

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
LawNews.TV
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
something legal
While it's cool to see pitch/roll graphics, i don't think any of the off-road pages features are necessary or even very helpful when your eyes should be on terrain and surroundings. Just eye candy.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Linx

Linx

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Punk’n JT
While it's cool to see pitch/roll graphics, i don't think any of the off-road pages features are necessary or even very helpful when your eyes should be on terrain and surroundings. Just eye candy.
Agreed for the most part. But the guardian features offered with the 8.4 seem pretty useful. I like the idea of remote start durning winter with the app. My parking is too far from my work for normal remote start to work.

Moonridge

First Name
Hayden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, Jeep Compass
Vehicle Showcase
This is one thing that really bothers me with the 7 inch on the Gladiator. The back up camera has these black bars on each side rather than filling the whole screen like the Wrangler does. The 7 inch also lacks the Uconnect app support, so remote start from your phone, sos assistance, and roadside assistance. This was one of the bigger factors on why I went with the Rubicon over a Max Tow Sport. Having the 8.4 inch touchscreen will stop me from wanting to upgrade in the future to one with the larger touchscreen. I just hope that they will also add the Tire Fill Alert to the 8.4' touchscreen in the future.

IMG_20190729_110133.jpg

Lucifer

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator
Have you seen the screen on the sport, they're tiny. Like anything else, if you want more you have to pay for more. But with the 8.4 you get the premium sound which includes the mounted bass woofer behind the back seat. So you get what you get with the 7 inch, no use in complaining if you didn't want to pay for something more. I noticed that if you wanted a particular package you had to include others. Yeah, it sucks. They know how to market . But no one buys this truck for it just being a truck. This thing is badass and that's why you got it. If you think it's not worth it, then why did you get it. Just sell it and go get one of the other Ford F150's like everyone else has and be a part of the sheeple group

mortuar

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 3.0L EcoDiesel Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I went to test out the 7 inch radio with Alpine system versus the 8.4 radio with Alpine system the other day - and I have to say, for whatever reason, the 8.4 inch radio with the Alpine system had a deeper thump to the bass that could be felt in my chest. This was a test using the same phone, same cable, and same exact bass, mid, and high settings from my current JLUR with the 8.4 and Alpine system.

I don't know if I got in a Gladiator Sport S with a bunk 7 inch and Alpine install, but it was night and day different in terms of sound quality for the same exact songs. I couldn't make the 7 inch Alpine setup sound right even altering the bass/mid/high outside of what I normally use.

Call me crazy... but I think the 7 inch radio is much more different than just the screen and tech. The quality of signal it's sending to the amp/speakers may be different as well, assuming the Alpine system (amp, wiring, speakers) is identical from the 7 inch to the 8.4 inch setup. This is just based on my own testing on a local dealer's lot, so take it with a grain of salt... but I'm super glad I ordered a Rubicon now versus a Sport S.

LongTimeListener

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
Call me crazy... but I think the 7 inch radio is much more different than just the screen and tech. The quality of signal it's sending to the amp/speakers may be different as well, assuming the Alpine system (amp, wiring, speakers) is identical from the 7 inch to the 8.4 inch setup. This is just based on my own testing on a local dealer's lot, so take it with a grain of salt... but I'm super glad I ordered a Rubicon now versus a Sport S.
Great intel! People forget that head units matter.

Sponsored

Matstock4

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU, 2017 Toyota Sienna, 1989 Turbo Trans Am
I went to test out the 7 inch radio with Alpine system versus the 8.4 radio with Alpine system the other day - and I have to say, for whatever reason, the 8.4 inch radio with the Alpine system had a deeper thump to the bass that could be felt in my chest. This was a test using the same phone, same cable, and same exact bass, mid, and high settings from my current JLUR with the 8.4 and Alpine system.

I don't know if I got in a Gladiator Sport S with a bunk 7 inch and Alpine install, but it was night and day different in terms of sound quality for the same exact songs. I couldn't make the 7 inch Alpine setup sound right even altering the bass/mid/high outside of what I normally use.

If you're getting the Alpine system then for something like $200 more you can get the 8.4in with all the extras. So might as well get the 8.4 from the start.

Our JLU with the 5in basic system performed just fine at my last camping trip! I haven't been a fan of the Android Auto on other cars and would just rather use my phone directly for Nav & music. Save a boat load of money and go with the 5er!!

OP
OP
Linx

Linx

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Punk’n JT
If you're getting the Alpine system then for something like $200 more you can get the 8.4in with all the extras. So might as well get the 8.4 from the start.

Our JLU with the 5in basic system performed just fine at my last camping trip! I haven't been a fan of the Android Auto on other cars and would just rather use my phone directly for Nav & music. Save a boat load of money and go with the 5er!!
I’m looking at a rubicon, so it already has the 7”. Just trying to decide if the 8.4 group is worth $1400. I’m leaning toward it for the bigger screen, guardian features (app remote start), auto dimming mirror, and upgraded speakers/sub.

mortuar

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m looking at a rubicon, so it already has the 7”. Just trying to decide if the 8.4 group is worth $1400. I’m leaning toward it for the bigger screen, guardian features (app remote start), auto dimming mirror, and upgraded speakers/sub.
Don't forget though, that 7 inch screen doesn't have the Alpine system by default. That alone is worth the upgrade, in my opinion.

On the JLUR I have, even the gauge cluster screen changed by going with the 8.4 Infotainment (they called it that at some point) - I'm not sure if that's the case any more, but that is a worthy upgrade, too!

mortuar

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Whoops, just read the 'upgraded speakers/sub' part - totally missed that the first time. :D

nerdridesbikes

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Chevy Colorado
Wife has the 7 in her GC and I’d be happy with that. But I want the alpine system so why not pay the extra 200 to upgrade the screen?
Sponsored