Sponsored

7.3 gas v8

kclendaniel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel
You caught me green handed. I do live in Cali. Yeah I've heard of other swaps, but never seen something like FORD under the hood of JEEP. Haha you know what I mean?

So what is a website that sells a 7.3L gas v8? And does anyone know a good autoshop I can contact to consult such a task? Location - San Diego, but if anyone knows a shop that they trust I don't mind distance.
Know your history... Ford V8 engines (302) are a long time preferential swap over GM on older Willys trucks and wagons because of the front mounted distributor means you don't have to cut into the firewall like you do with a small block Chevy. There are plenty of Willys Trucks (the original Jeep pickup) running around with Ford V8s under the hood.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Blisskiss

Blisskiss

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Oof. I am doing the best I can to seek knowledge.

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Know your history... Ford V8 engines (302) are a long time preferential swap over GM on older Willys trucks and wagons because of the front mounted distributor means you don't have to cut into the firewall like you do with a small block Chevy. There are plenty of Willys Trucks (the original Jeep pickup) running around with Ford V8s under the hood.
Ford forward mounted distributors are also a historical weak point when the fan picks up water and soaks it, speaking of history.

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
In California the motor must be available in another vehicle from the same manufacturer and that motor must be from the same model year or newer
Actually, truck to truck, car to car not manufacturer. To your point, the motor must be the same year or newer. Go to Defender.com and there is a gigantic thread on LS conversions for LR Defenders. CA members who use a GM truck LS in CA are getting approval. Interestingly, they have to flip the intake front to back to fit, but it works.

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2018 Lexus GX460
I read an article the other day regarding a 7.3l swap into a Fox body Mustang. I believe it said that it is slightly narrower than the 5.0l Coyote engine. I wish I could remember which car site it was. Popped up on Google news feed.

Sponsored

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Gosh, yes but that's almost ancient history now. The Ford V8s were by far the way to go until the mid/late 1990s. After that point, the GM LS engine family proved to be much easier to swap, repair, and maintain vs. Ford's inferior SOHC and DOHC offerings. So, basically for the last 25 years nobody has been swapping Ford stuff into anything, much less a Jeep.

I'm a life long Ford guy, and GM hater. Been stranded on the highway too many times in the pre-cell phone era by GM junk. Lol. Just can't get over that. But it is what it is...Ford hasn't made anything worth while in decades. The new 7.3L gas engine is the ONLY engine they make that appeals to me and it just now is hitting dealerships. I guess that's why I've been driving Chrysler stuff for years now.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Let's talk about this. Its so hard to google this topic because of googles terrible search algorithms these days.

Is it even legal to put a ford crate engine in a jeep, what are the consequences? Will the 7.3L gas v8 fit, and where can we shop for one? Links pls.

The 7.3L gas v8 sparked my eye for the gladiator, anyone else? I know its said to be meant for large capacity towing, but im in it for other matters. Vroom vroom.
You would probably be better to drop a 5.0 Coyote in there, and then supercharge or turbo it. Don't underestimate it based on displacement alone, they are hellacious motors with LOTS of power and capability for upgrades right from the factory. A 15-17 5.0 Coyote can handle up to around 850 RWHP in stock form.

I've had two different new Mustang GT performance pack cars with the MT-82 transmission (2013 & 2017). They are absolute beasts. I just traded my 2017 yesterday for the 2020 Gladiator Rubicon. Only reason I did, was because it was running out of warranty.

bruno747

First Name
Bubba
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK 2 Door Rubicon Recon
Just wanna toss out Ford now offers the 7.3 as a crate engine.

*Whispers* Do It.

I will be keeping an eye out for a rear ended super duty to snatch a 7.3 and associated electronics from.

Under-Pressure

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Just wanna toss out Ford now offers the 7.3 as a crate engine.

*Whispers* Do It.

I will be keeping an eye out for a rear ended super duty to snatch a 7.3 and associated electronics from.
I’m Loving my 7.3 Super duty. The engine would be PERFECT in a gladiator. Maybe Peugeot will sell the Jeep brand to Ford & we can get some good engines.

bruno747

First Name
Bubba
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK 2 Door Rubicon Recon
If I hadn't found my 98 12 valve I can almost guarantee I'd have a 7.3 temor f250 in velocity blue. That engine just enthralls me with the kick back to simplicity in everything but the variable oil pump.

wvyankee2

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Refinery Operator
Vehicle Showcase
That's going to be the motor in my future Motorhome. So it will be pulling my Jeep around. Lol.
Sponsored