First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator
Occupation
Retired
when I throttle up pretty good the trans shifts alright I guess but when I let up throttle it hangs in gear a little bit. Like it’s trying to figure out what to do. My Chrysler 300 with 3.6 8speed was a rocket compared to this Jeep and shifted much harder and faster ? Just wondering if this is normal for the Jeeps ? Maybe a towing thing that’s added To the programing. I have a Overland with 1300 miles on her. Thanks Guys…
Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
If you think it's not working right, take it to the dealer. Ask them to also check the fluid level. It may help to have them put it back into learn mode. Just remember, it's a brick with wheels, not a sports car.

In3briatedPanda

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Freedom Edition Max Tow
Occupation
Automotive
when I throttle up pretty good the trans shifts alright I guess but when I let up throttle it hangs in gear a little bit. Like it’s trying to figure out what to do. My Chrysler 300 with 3.6 8speed was a rocket compared to this Jeep and shifted much harder and faster ? Just wondering if this is normal for the Jeeps ? Maybe a towing thing that’s added To the programing. I have a Overland with 1300 miles on her. Thanks Guys…
I have had the exact same experience. Specifically between 3-4 under full load pulling into traffic and accelerating to 50-60mph, full accel.

Is this after first start up, when the Jeep is probably not up to temp? Thats the only time it happened to me, when the trans was still cold.

Mine stopped doing it, idk if it loosened up or the programming recognizes it, idk.

To answer you, yes, mine did the same thing. Has not done it since my third LOF. I mentioned it to the dealer on my last service and got the good old 'could not duplicate'. At least its in the service history, but it has not happened in awhile.

edit: im almost to 9k miles.

JohnFinx

First Name
Fin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 1988 Cherokee , 1969 Plymouth Satellite Conv
Occupation
Telecom engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Mine has always shifted a little weird, one time it was jerking in and out of two gears like a bucking bronco*. It also lunged forward on the 6-5 downshift at red lights, and sometimes wouldn't downshift on hard acceleration. I took it to the dealer and got the "It is a smart transmission that learns your driving habits. It will shift when it thinks it should, not when you think so. Drive it until it breaks, then we'll fix it." speech. Since then it hasn't done it again, and it shifts more "normal" now @ 20k miles. I guess mine is a slow learner.

*horse, not Ford.

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer
Yeah my '23 is doing the same thing

Sponsored

AmosMoses

First Name
Amos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator sport
Occupation
Manufacturing
Mine does it after adding 35's with 3.73 gears. Getting onto the highway with a slight incline, say 5-10 degrees, 1st, 2nd and 3rd seem to shift quickly say around 3000 rpms but 4th will drag out until about 4500-5000 rpms depending on the position of the gas pedal. It's been this way since adding tires and recalibration speedometer with jscan. My speedometer matches GPS speed perfectly at all speeds as well.

It would seem like my transmission would shift at roughly the same rpms through most gears if I maintained a given throttle position throughout the drive.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
Sounds like rev hang. More noticeable on MTs, but autos do it too. It's for emissions.

AmosMoses

First Name
Amos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Manufacturing
Sounds like rev hang. More noticeable on MTs, but autos do it too. It's for emissions.
How do manual transmissions do it too if you determine shift points on a manual transmission?

AmosMoses

First Name
Amos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Manufacturing
In between gears. They'll hold the rpms in between gears, instead of dropping them immediately.
But the rpms will drop soon after the shift right? I can manually shift my AT with consistent rpm shifts as opposed to letting it shift automatically with inconsistent rpms where it will draw out 4th or 5th to 4000 rpms+ even without accelerating hard. It won't do this on a flat road but a slight incline and this transmission acts like we are going up a huge mountain.

Sponsored

slowstang305

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
Normal from every gladiator and JL I have been in.

Maximus Gladius

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Construction, Gold Mining, Surface Engineer
My tranny’s from the 17 Tacoma MT to the 3 auto tranny’s on my 2021 JTR have all had the “rev hang”. If I mash the throttle in those early gears (1-3) then let off, the RPM’s stay high (even the MT transmission).

I read one explaining that the revs stay high to burn off the fuel that was called for when the throttle was wide open.

OP
OP
JW Jeep

JW Jeep

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator
Occupation
Retired
Thanks Guys for all the replies !! I kinda thought it might be a learning process for the transmission or some emission thing. Good old emissions ? I really don’t like the ess or the 2 battery’s thing. It makes me laugh because here in western Colorado we don‘t have state inspections ( which is kinda of a nice thing actually ) but you will see a lot of desiel pickups blowing so much black smoke you can’t even see the road behind them.

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Goggle.

What causes a rev hang?
The delay allows air to mix with the remaining fuel in the manifold, burning off any excess that might otherwise cause an undesirable, high-emission scenario. This throttle delay is what causes rev hang.

Do automatic cars have rev hang?
Cars fitted with automatic transmissions suffer the same rev hang problem as cars with manual gearboxes but drivers are much less aware of it because of the design and function of the auto 'boxes, especially those fitted with torque converters.

Can a tune get rid of rev hang?
Yes, but. Tuning only gets rid of half of it. A lighter flywheel gets rid of the rest.
Sponsored