About to buy a 2021 base Sport instead of Sport S here's my thoughts why

OP
OP

mountainpass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport w/ Max Tow
I am fairly sure they did address it. At least that was stated by the Jeep representative on this forum back in the Spring, after the recall. That the JTs being assembled did not have the problem pressure plate.
I actually contacted my local dealer and they confirmed the part numbers did not change on clutch nor flywheel(of course they could be wrong). So then I contacted the clutch supplier and inquired and they cc(ed) me in a email to a tech, who (cc)ed me again to an outside vendor, and then nothing.
Sponsored

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
I actually contacted my local dealer and they confirmed the part numbers did not change on clutch nor flywheel(of course they could be wrong). So then I contacted the clutch supplier and inquired and they cc(ed) me in a email to a tech, who (cc)ed me again to an outside vendor, and then nothing.
Well, I can't comment about part numbers, but it certainly makes no logical sense why Jeep would do a recall for defective parts, have a moratorium on manual Jeeps, then start making Jeeps all over again with the exact same parts.

Plus the fact that the Jeep rep stated that the issue did not apply to Jeeps made after the moratorium ended.

DaddyG

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Site superintendent
Vehicle Showcase
I decided in Feb to buy a 2 door Wrangler. The thought was to have something fun and keep my Tundra, then I sat in the backseat of one at the dealer. No way my grandkids would be comfortable on the long ride to grandma and grandpa's house not to mention where the bags would go. Then mulled over selling the Tundra and getting a Gladiator, then the covid hit....so last month got the bug again. I found this forum, learned a little, then decided to buy a 2020 gator. On the test drive as soon as I pulled out of dealer's lot it wandered to the left, I corrected it and it wandered right. Ok at this point I thought maybe the steering tsb thread was in my head, but no it did it again, so no deal......a 2021 it is.

That gator had the dual top group( among lots of other options ) which really made me face the reality of storage( I mean the soft top crate takes up the entire bed ) and if I really needed a hardtop. I decided I really wanted the soft top. I searched for a soft top sport s but they are rare. I think the main reason is for 2021 it appears Jeep is forcing a sport S buyer to select(actually they are pre-selected) the convenience and technology groups, but if you simply choose the popular equipment package for $300 more ( it includes both those ) it gets you a hardtop. So to get the S it costs $4100, then if you want a hardtop it's just $300 more.

So once again I started thinking do I really need electric windows and locks, I mean I hope to have the doors off a lot anyway. Plus after reading about the electrical connector issue with doors, and the garage door opener visor costing $500 why complicate a Jeep. Plus I don't like the wheels on the S, the base black steel wheels look better to these old eyes.

When I was a kid Jeeps were utilitarian, a luxury one had an automatic, steel doors, and AC.

I think I will miss the ability to run waze on screen( maybe it's possible to upgrade, haven't explored that too much ) but basic seems OK, right even.

My wife is gonna miss the heated seats though I must admit.

Edit: I am getting the Max Tow version.

This time of year you should be able to find a Sport S on a lot as they are technically "left overs" now

Willys2Gladiator

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
Sport S, Max tow, with premium soft top & no tech packages. Easy reason: I wanted the soft top (to easy to use) "tinted soft top rear window" (all my windows are tinted, and its preferred when its 100 degrees)", this is not an option or not possible in just a plain sport. Key fob locks the tail gate, & thats a no brain'r if you've ever seen or had your tail gate stolen. The max tow upgrades to Dana 44's and the auto trans, so very good choice on your part. I do run with the off road doors to, but I still want that tailgate locked. My favorite configuration is top on, doors off (spring and summer, and for some trails) but it is the best when you are stuck with the doors on and want to pop the top for just a quick evening date or drive. That said, this is not my daily driver. it pulls my off road trailer to crazy places and I use it for off roading, no store, mall or work trips for me, I can't bare to think of it being misused by sitting in a city parking lot. That would be as crazy as driving a SXS to walmart, and thats a "no go" in my world. Out the door special order price + tax was under $37k.
Base Sport tailgate also locks.
Jeep Gladiator About to buy a 2021 base Sport instead of Sport S here's my thoughts why 16022744085996650102536621749188

OP
OP

mountainpass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport w/ Max Tow
This time of year you should be able to find a Sport S on a lot as they are technically "left overs" now
Believe me I tried and was going to go ahead with one I found b/c of color not offered in 2021 and I drove it and the steering wandered(and I don't think it was all in my head), so left there with intention of buying a 2021. I ended up finding a better deal in a 2021 than on any other 2020 I tried, and I probably inquired about drive outs on 15-20 JTs. And on top of that this was one of the most basic ones I called about.

Sponsored

DaddyG

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Site superintendent
Vehicle Showcase
The steering "wander" on the 2020's has been addressed in a TSB and as a warranty issue....I'm actually going to pick mine up from the dealer this morning because of that very issue. It took about 3 weeks for the parts to come in, but they are in, and installed now. Mine wasn't that bad, but hopefully it's non-existent now !

OP
OP

mountainpass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport w/ Max Tow
I asked in another thread, but I'll give it a shot here. What are the two holes(with black plastic inserts/covers) for in the floor of the bed. If they were on both sides I might not question it, it just seems odd they are only on drivers side of center.

Willys2Gladiator

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
I asked in another thread, but I'll give it a shot here. What are the two holes(with black plastic inserts/covers) for in the floor of the bed. If they were on both sides I might not question it, it just seems odd they are only on drivers side of center.
I believe it's for the hard cover tonneau cover drain hose.

Sponsored

Willys2Gladiator

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
Edit: In the floor of bed there are 2. The front one is hard to make out.
My Doge Ram had the same two in the same location. Just thought drain plugs but also heard it's to allow the for assembly reasons.

Mystery deepens.

OP
OP

mountainpass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport w/ Max Tow
My Doge Ram had the same two in the same location. Just thought drain plugs but also heard it's to allow the for assembly reasons.

Mystery deepens.
In the other thread I posted in someone said it was an assembly thing as well, but that seems odd to me.

Trippin01

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX450h, 23' Supra
Occupation
Deputy Sheriff & Retired Army
Vehicle Showcase

Sunnysideup

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Pumpkin Gladiator/ 2007 Steel Blue JKU
Occupation
Pastor
I have a year and 15,000 miles on my MaxTow Sport... I did the 1.5 front from tera flex / 3/4 spacer from daystar on the rear. A man was buying a launch edition at the dealer near me and I bought all 5 rims and tires from him... got a set of the fox shocks too. I bought a fox front steering stabilizer. I ordered it with the deep tinting windows, spray in bed liner, Aux switches, block heater, floormats.
All manual windows and locks.
Jeep Gladiator About to buy a 2021 base Sport instead of Sport S here's my thoughts why IMG_20200707_141930

IT's been a great truck!
In it's mostly stock condition I took it on 5 badge of honor trails last fall and this summer. And it did great.
I have not started really doing much else to change it. I have an overlanding trailer I tow with it... and I have a 2007 JK with 170,000 miles on it and 37's that I use on the really rough trails. But I have plans for it.... by Next Fall... I'll be doing big changes to it. Hey... and they don't make this color anymore!

DirtySaylor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
To OP: You can use waze still if you have the touch screen, which I think all jeeps do. If you have an iphone they have apple carplay, which has waze. just plug your iphone into the usb and tap on carplay on the screen and both waze and spotify pop up.
Sponsored