Sponsored

Any reason to avoid Manual Transmission?

bhbdvm

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray Rubicon, 2016 BMW R1200GS
Reviews on the driving experience of the manual have been very disappointing.
Sponsored

kd1yt

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator JT Sport S Red, 2014 Ural sidecar 2wd motorcycle, '51 Dodge M37
Reviews on the driving experience of the manual have been very disappointing.
If you expect it to be some kind of a high performance experience that gives you a 'wow' sense of acceleration, you are going to be disappointed. If you accept the fact that it's a very sturdy, highly versatile 4wd truck with a very moderate-sized-medium-performance engine and you prefer the sense of engagement and connection that only a manual offers, you won't be disappointed. I fall in category 2 and am not at all disappointed.

88mmm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland, 911 TT
If you expect it to be some kind of a high performance experience that gives you a 'wow' sense of acceleration, you are going to be disappointed. If you accept the fact that it's a very sturdy, highly versatile 4wd truck with a very moderate-sized-medium-performance engine and you prefer the sense of engagement and connection that only a manual offers, you won't be disappointed. I fall in category 2 and am not at all disappointed.
The gearing of this transmission sucks. It's clearly geared for getting the best MPG on the EPA circuit. No one is expecting high performance "wow" out of Jeep truck. I do expect it to do 30 MPH uphill in third gear and maintain speed, it can't. I expect it to be able to back out of my driveway with out stuttering and stalling, it can't. We have two other manuals in the house and they are fine with the same task. The gearing in the JT is absolute crap for anyone that lives where there are hills. It's tough to admit that your $45k trucks transmission sucks but it does. Anyone saying otherwise lives in flat lands or doesn't want to admit it.

Sponsored

Slapping_Rabbits

First Name
Nirzwan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep gladiator Rubicon, triumph rocket iii roadster
Well I live in a hilly area and it's fine. Yeah I don't live in the mountains anymore unfortunately so I can't speak to that. However it has no problem accelerating and passing, especially compared to my old Nissan rogue 4 cylinder. However when you go 4 Low and are off roading, you'll realize the gearing is awesome. My driveway is on a hill and it's got hill assist and no I haven't stalled it. It's not a difficult manual. The gearing is different for sure but it's not anything you won't get used to in a day or two. Well worth it. If you live anywhere near MD and are skeptical come and drive mine. I'll learn you. I learn you real good.

88mmm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland, 911 TT
Well I live in a hilly area and it's fine. Yeah I don't live in the mountains anymore unfortunately so I can't speak to that. However it has no problem accelerating and passing, especially compared to my old Nissan rogue 4 cylinder. However when you go 4 Low and are off roading, you'll realize the gearing is awesome. My driveway is on a hill and it's got hill assist and no I haven't stalled it. It's not a difficult manual. The gearing is different for sure but it's not anything you won't get used to in a day or two. Well worth it. If you live anywhere near MD and are skeptical come and drive mine. I'll learn you. I learn you real good.
The gearing in 4L is no better then the JK which had an actual 3rd and 4th gear unlike the JT which combines the two. The extra OD gear (6th) is of little use in in 4L as it's about the same as 5th. The only reason it is geared as it is is for MPGs. Going forward up a hilly driveway is no problem but reverse is a whole other issue. The JT can't do it, god forbid there is a load in the bed. I'm glad you like your JT and are willing to live with the compromise of the gearing in the manual. I'd love my JT for what it is but the gearing is crap for on road driving.

Oscar Indy

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Website
offmapoverland.com
Vehicle(s)
JTR
Umm. Point of order. The JT has a deeper reverse than the JK did. I'm no fan of the new forward gearing either (bought the auto) but the JT should be deeper geared than the JK in reverse.

Screenshot_20191024-082536_1.jpg

LongTimeListener

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
The gearing of this transmission sucks. It's clearly geared for getting the best MPG on the EPA circuit. No one is expecting high performance "wow" out of Jeep truck. I do expect it to do 30 MPH uphill in third gear and maintain speed, it can't. I expect it to be able to back out of my driveway with out stuttering and stalling, it can't. We have two other manuals in the house and they are fine with the same task. The gearing in the JT is absolute crap for anyone that lives where there are hills. It's tough to admit that your $45k trucks transmission sucks but it does. Anyone saying otherwise lives in flat lands or doesn't want to admit it.
Interesting comments. I live at 7,000 feet and mine does fine. Easily pulls steep hills in 3rd at 30, 40, 50, mph. Just finished an overlanding trip with a full load and two guys and it did fine at 9,000 passes. And this was on 35s.

Like you, I wish 5th and 6th were both lower, but I frequently use 6th on the highway.

I do agree that reverse is crap. But it was crap on my JKU, too. If you need to reverse up and kind of hill, or over any obstacle, 4-Lo is required.

88mmm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland, 911 TT

Sponsored

Oscar Indy

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Website
offmapoverland.com
Vehicle(s)
JTR

88mmm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland, 911 TT
I don't actually give a shit. The 8 speed was my choice after looking at gear ratios before I ordered. If you're unhappy with the gearing in reverse on the JT/JL it's not the gearing was and is my only point.
It definitely is the gearing, reverse is way to tall. Should not have to use 4 low to reverse out of my driveway. Not an issue with any other manuals we've owned in the past. Enjoy the auto, sure wish I went with one.

kd1yt

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator JT Sport S Red, 2014 Ural sidecar 2wd motorcycle, '51 Dodge M37
[quote: "Anyone saying otherwise lives in flat lands or doesn't want to admit it."]

I bought my truck near Albany NY and drove it back to my home in VT by secondary highways in the Adirondacks with plenty of substantial hills (I wanted to give it lots of variety of speed and load and no long fixed speed interstate during the beginning of the break-in period), and then over RT 17 'Appalachian Gap' in VT [elevation, 2,375ft above sea level] which is some of the tallest, steepest, most winding road anywhere I've been. About the first 40 miles I was thinking 'what on earth is the deal' in terms of the ratio spacing and the powerband of the engine. Once I stopped expecting it to be like a close-ratio car 6 speed and figured out how the gear ratios and engine powerband work together, I found it's not only fine, it works very well, at least for me, My drive home from work every day climbs almost 8-900 ft in elevation over six miles, and I accelerate in 3rd gear at 30mph all the time, uphill. I regularly accelerate in 5th gear at 60 mph on a long uphill climb on a nearby highway. If I want to accelerate rapidly, I downshift earlier and more often than in some other MT vehicles. I do sense that the ECU has 'learned' some of my driving conditions and driving habits.

Is the 6 speed going to be everyone's cup of tea, obviously not. and it's not going to be like many other MT vehicles, but it's also not fatally flawed.

MoparDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR manual /2023 ZLE manual /2018 Demon #1399
I have been driving manuals since I was 17...from 1970 crap boxes to 2016 C7 Z06's.

Never found 2 that were the same...Never found one I couldn't figure out...Never found one I didn't enjoy.

6 speed Rubicon incoming...No regrets.

View attachment 45481

DD0AE357-1A23-4DE9-924D-CA948EA3DBCE.jpeg

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
Last edited:

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)
I have been driving manuals since I was 17...from 1970 crap boxes to 2016 C7 Z06's.

Never found 2 that were the same...Never found one I couldn't figure out...Never found one I didn't enjoy.

6 speed Rubicon incoming...No regrets. View attachment 45481
That's an 8 sp auto pictured...
Sponsored