First Name
TK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Fed
Both my prior Cherokee and my current Gladiator came with adaptive cruise control. I like the system, but if someone I’m behind is going slow and I signal to get in the left lane to pass, it pins the accelerator and drops down to fourth gear to get going.

in my wife’s Rav4, the acceleration is much calmer.

Is there any way to adjust this? Can the Tazer do it?
Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Both my prior Cherokee and my current Gladiator came with adaptive cruise control. I like the system, but if someone I’m behind is going slow and I signal to get in the left lane to pass, it pins the accelerator and drops down to fourth gear to get going.

in my wife’s Rav4, the acceleration is much calmer.

Is there any way to adjust this? Can the Tazer do it?
Mine is the same way. The greater the difference between the current speed and the set speed, the more aggressive the acceleration when the ACC increases the speed to try and achieve what is set.

Activating the left turn signal tells the ACC that you are planning to manually clear the slower object in front of you by changing lanes. It starts accelerating to accommodate the intended move.

I have not read of any way to change the ACC behavior.

OregonTrail

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Communications Tech
I was just about to post on the same issue. My ACC seems to be aggressive. I wish there was a smoother transition when accelerating. It seems like the gas pedal is mashed to the floor and the tranny kicks down 2 gears. Then, if someone changes lanes in front of me, the brakes are pressed too much, which has caused people behind me to emergency brake, because they see my jeep pitching forward. I almost consider the adaptive cruise control borderline dangerous. In fact, I have to stay aware of cars in front of me and behind me to the point that it's almost self-defeating. This was the complete opposite in my Subaru Outback, which had a very nice ACC system that allowed me to relax a bit and allow the car to ease off or pick up when needed, but not so abruptly and aggressively.

I LOVE having ACC, but Jeep needs to work on this big time. As of now, It's almost unusable.

jeepin48

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland 3.0L
Occupation
Engineer
I agree with everyone. The ACC needs to chill out on accelerating.

I would also like to have a cruise that would fluctuate up to 5 mph to avoid downshifting and increase MPG. Meaning if you set to 70 it would go up to 75 down hill and 65 uphill. Just in case someone of greater power is listening. ;)

pcrawfordpt

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
PT
I don’t have ACC, but I have noticed my regular cruise control seems to accelerate aggressively then slow down abruptly, like it overshoots the set speed and has to compensate. I con run it smoother myself...WTF?

Sponsored

OregonTrail

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Communications Tech
I would think it could be corrected in the software.

rayvonp

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021Gladiator, 2018 Wrangler JLU
Occupation
Boeing
I just traded my leased gladiator in and bought a new one last week and it has the acc and I can say as of right now I hate it, it brakes way to hard and if I set it to max distance people seem to merge into the space that is there causing the Jeep to slam the brakes on and the flooring it self to get back up to speed.

Eagle22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Retired...sort of
I agree with all above. I have been driving a Mercedes for 5 years and its ACC ("Distronic") is very smooth in adjusting speed when passing.
I really like the Jeep ACC...so I have experimented a little bit - when I come up behind a slow driver, I wait until there is safe space to transfer lanes. I then step on the accelerator lightly, and a "Driver Override" prompt comes up on the center console screen. I then accelerate into the passing lane, and as soon as I am clear of the slow guy, I let off the accelerator and the ACC adjusts very smoothly.
I am thinking that this was a thoughtful decision about how the ACC should be used. Often with the Mercedes Distronic, I would move into the passing lane, and there would be a lag time before the Benz picked up speed. (it would upset drivers coming up from behind in the passing lane).
With the ACC, you can override it, compensate for speed in the passing lane, then let off the accelerator and drop back into the ACC set speed.
Some could view it as a deficiency...I happen to like it.

Kooch34

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Healthcare
I just traded my leased gladiator in and bought a new one last week and it has the acc and I can say as of right now I hate it, it brakes way to hard and if I set it to max distance people seem to merge into the space that is there causing the Jeep to slam the brakes on and the flooring it self to get back up to speed.
Same

Sponsored

DBT

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Overlander
Occupation
Nomad
Thank you for this thread! I got my diesel Overland for towing a toy hauler, and found one with all the options I wanted except ACC, which I had on previous vehicles. Kinda miss it when driving in city rush hour, and was thinking of pricing a retrofit. But based on majority of opinions here, I'm better without.

Gulf_coasterHTX

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Subaru Ascent, '21 Gladiator Sport S Diesel
Occupation
Petroleum Engineer
I agree, ACc in my gladiator is too aggressive braking and acceleration. Subaru is waaay better, Subaru also allows you to adjust different levels, sucks you can’t do the same with Jeep.

mnf1fan

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' Challenger Hellcat. 17' Grand Cherokee SRT, 2021 Mojave,Loaded.
I can't say I disagree it whats been witten, but To me I find it an easy work around to manually do the acceleration myself. When I take my foot off of the gas, cruise resumes its control and I'm at my speed and all is right with the world. No vehicle is prefect, and I find this to be a pretty minor issue.
Sponsored