First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Mojave 2021 Jaguar F Type 2018 Range Rover
Occupation
Self Employed
Our Mojave is our first introduction to the Jeep experience. So far, we couldn't be happier with the vehicle not to mention being welcomed by virtually every Jeep owners smile and wave. We have owned exclusively Range Rovers and still do, as we live in the Lake Tahoe area that gets plenty of snow. The Rovers have heated windshields and I have a set of Blizzaks for winter driving. This has taken the guess work out of driving in the snow.

When we purchased the JT I had them install a set of BFG KO's that are "snow rated". I have read some threads on this forum about driving JT's in the snow and feel somewhat encouraged. However, I have a questions for those who are experienced with driving their JT's in the snow. (1) Do you recommend shifting to 4H and if so under what conditions? (2) Does the windshield pack with snow in a heavy downfall? (3) Do you recommend (is it necessary) to put weight over the rear axel? (4) Any other pearls of wisdom?

Thanks in advance...

Dave
Sponsored

AKDrifter

First Name
Judah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
So I live in Eagle River, AK and we get somewhere around 70" annually and this will be our 2nd full winter with the JT. Snow on the ground as I write this and supposed to be around 4 degrees on Halloween. Firstly, you picked great tires, the BFG KO2 in the snow flavor really are fantastic for winter driving. That is what I run on mine and was a good choice on your part. You definitely will need to use 4H anytime you feel the road is slick. If you have a rear tire spinning or feel it sliding pull it into 4H. I haven't ran weight over the axle, couldn't hurt if you wanted to try it. My defroster works very well, no complaints there even on days like in the picture. Keeps it fog and snow free. One of the biggest things in the snow trying to get momentum getting onto the freeway is use OffRoad+. The traction control will get you stuck, OffRoad+ turns the nannies down to let you get some speed.

20200107_023431.jpg

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Cool how your superimposed the dash over the windshield.
Those of us without offroad+get stuck being unable to do donuts as the bldg keeps us from sliding.

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
Dave does your Mojave have the selectrac transfer case by any chance, that will change things? Also weight in the rear has always been a thing we do , wifes wrangler is much better with two 50 pound bags of feed in back, depending on what you have on your Gladiator such as a 170 lb. RSI top that will be on my Mojave soon would negate that need.....Jack

OP
OP

Genoa Dave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Self Employed
Dave does your Mojave have the selectrac transfer case by any chance, that will change things? Also weight in the rear has always been a thing we do , wifes wrangler is much better with two 50 pound bags of feed in back, depending on what you have on your Gladiator such as a 170 lb. RSI top that will be on my Mojave soon would negate that need.....Jack
I looked at my App to see if Selec-Trac is listed as a feature on our JT. I found the following item listed "Traction Control". If I do have it, where and how is located on the instrument cluster?

Sponsored

F3Orangeman

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 JTOD, ā€™02 F-150 SCrew
Occupation
Stay-at-Home Financial Analyst (thanks to COVID)
I looked at my App to see if Selec-Trac is listed as a feature on our JT. I found the following item listed "Traction Control". If I do have it, where and how is located on the instrument cluster?
Selec-Trac is a transfer case option on the ā€™21s only

Jaxmax

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps....... 2021 Mojave , 2019 Wrangler
Occupation
Electrical Manager
Selectrac is an AWD festure on the 2021 Gladiators, that is one on the transfer case shift lever, I was not sure how long you had your Mojave, the 2021 have been out about two months now.

AustinL911

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT
Occupation
Nurse
If your transfer case lever has a '4A(Auto)' position, then you have selc-trac. Personally, I would put it in this mode in the winter and leave it. The truck will engage/disengage 4wd as it sees fit.

MrZappo

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Computer Consultant
If your transfer case lever has a '4A(Auto)' position, then you have selc-trac. Personally, I would put it in this mode in the winter and leave it. The truck will engage/disengage 4wd as it sees fit.
Does selectrac simply turn on and off 4WD when wheel slip is detected ? Or is it a different mechanical system that wont "bind up" in a turn ?

Anyone know ?

OP
OP

Genoa Dave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Self Employed
I just checked and sadly, no 4A which is not a surprise as ours is a 2020. That said, we will be shifting to 4H when needed.

Sponsored

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
I drove my Sport S in heavy snow last January. It drove effortlessly in 4H; especially as I was driving around stranded SUVs. At times it was snowing very heavily. I didn't have any trouble keeping the windshield clear as long I kept the defroster on.

I have found when I'm driving in fog I have to keep the defroster on or the windshield immediately starts fogging up. As long as I keep the defroster on, it's fine. Same for ice and snow. I have to keep the defroster on to keep ice off the windshield.

levesqueonline

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Not sure if you saw this, I am in norther canada and a little worried now :) but sounds like snow and ice build up is a real issue if this is accurate and not an isolated issue. I am waiting for the snow so I have many of the same questions as you op so thanks for the post! :)

Horde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland. 2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Has anyone here driven around the snow with the stock Dueller H/T tires of the Overland model?
That's what I have.
Good or bad?

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
Not sure if you saw this, I am in norther canada and a little worried now :) but sounds like snow and ice build up is a real issue if this is accurate and not an isolated issue. I am waiting for the snow so I have many of the same questions as you op so thanks for the post! :)

ā€˜The defroster issue was discussed on this site a while ago. Do a search and see if you can find it.

Basically thereā€™s a guy who sells little ā€œblocks that allow you to force more air to the sides of the windshield. It is a cheap fix and works well..

Hereā€™s the link starting on post 11

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/defrost-windshield-solution-right-vs-left.26780/

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Has anyone here driven around the snow with the stock Dueller H/T tires of the Overland model?
That's what I have.
Good or bad?
Interested to know also
Sponsored