Sponsored

ALL Steering gear orders (NOT) cancelled !!!

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Brought mine in back on October 29th and handed them a printed copy of the TSB, the tech looked it over and said I qualify so they did the PCM update (I may be crazy, but feels like that made it worse) and ordered the steering gear. Originally they said the ETA was November 7th, that came and went and I emailed and they said December 7th. They just called today and said the part came in. Can't wait to get it done and see the improvement! Also have a rubicon suspension sitting in my garage that I've been waiting to install since I didn't want them to use that as an excuse not to do the TSB.
The update in the steering TSB is for the EHPS (Electro-Hydraulic Power Steering) - not the PCM.
They are supposed to do that update AFTER installing the steering gear, it's step TWO.

The PCM update is a totally different, unrelated thing that they likely saw when they plugged into your OBD port and your VIN came up.
They are updating the PCM software as people come in and the VIN is on a list.
PCM update won't impact the power steering. Engine and transmission, yes.
Sponsored

Jt2187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S, 2017 Triumph Scrambler
The update in the steering TSB is for the EHPS (Electro-Hydraulic Power Steering) - not the PCM.
They are supposed to do that update AFTER installing the steering gear, it's step TWO.

The PCM update is a totally different, unrelated thing that they likely saw when they plugged into your OBD port and your VIN came up.
They are updating the PCM software as people come in and the VIN is on a list.
PCM update won't impact the power steering. Engine and transmission, yes.

Interesting, so they either did the EHPS update out of order or it's all in my head, just seems like it wanders more since it came back from the dealer. My wife drove it and said the same thing.

Mikey_89

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Just got back from getting my TSB done and wow. Definitely night and day difference. Highway speeds (60-70) requires very few corrections now, instead of making several over a minute. And, while driving on my local road, no corrections (outside of normal) at all. Road is winding/bumpy/some rutting, but for the most part holds tried and true. The only thing I have to do is go back to the dealership and have them adjust the steering...it's not quite centered. 🤣 I'm gonna make sure I take 2 dozen donuts with me so they can appreciate when I show up!

20201124_144750.jpg

OP
OP
MrZappo

MrZappo

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Computer Consultant
Just got back from getting my TSB done and wow. Definitely night and day difference. Highway speeds (60-70) requires very few corrections now, instead of making several over a minute. And, while driving on my local road, no corrections (outside of normal) at all. Road is winding/bumpy/some rutting, but for the most part holds tried and true. The only thing I have to do is go back to the dealership and have them adjust the steering...it's not quite centered. 🤣 I'm gonna make sure I take 2 dozen donuts with me so they can appreciate when I show up!

Jeep Gladiator ALL Steering gear orders (NOT) cancelled !!! 20201124_144750
Dont forget to verify that the part number is correct for the JT ... They put a JL box in mine ...

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
. 🤣 I'm gonna make sure I take 2 dozen donuts with me so they can appreciate when I show up!
Bribery will take you far.. LOL

Sponsored

Mikey_89

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Dont forget to verify that the part number is correct for the JT ... They put a JL box in mine ...
Where would I find it? I've looked as best as possible and the only number I am seeing is on the top of the pump(?)

20201124_204348.jpg

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Pull back thin plastic fender liner, just ahead of the axle, above the frame -

Jeep Gladiator ALL Steering gear orders (NOT) cancelled !!! 20200904_110435_HDR

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)
Just got back from getting my TSB done . The only thing I have to do is go back to the dealership and have them adjust the steering...it's not quite centered. 🤣 I'm gonna make sure I take 2 dozen donuts with me so they can appreciate when I show up!
Sad you feel you need to reward them when they couldn’t get the simplest part of the job right - centering the wheel- before it was returned to you. They drove it in with a centered wheel and knew it wasn’t right when they drove it out. Unless they just let the car washer do all the TSB work so real mechanics can work the big paying jobs.

Pull back thin plastic fender liner, just ahead of the axle, above the frame -

Jeep Gladiator ALL Steering gear orders (NOT) cancelled !!! 20200904_110435_HDR
Don’t need to even move the liner, should be able to just stick your phone in there and snap a picture.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Sad you feel you need to reward them when they couldn’t get the simplest part of the job right - centering the wheel- before it was returned to you. They drove it in with a centered wheel and knew it wasn’t right when they drove it out. Unless they just let the car washer do all the TSB work so real mechanics can work the big paying jobs.

Don’t need to even move the liner, should be able to just stick your phone in there and snap a picture.
Don't know about your truck but if I did that the phone would be against the steering gear.

Sponsored

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
Just called my dealer. They seem on top of it and have it on order. But no ETA from FCA on any of these things. Pretty much they were restricted to one a week, then the process changed and now they ordered all of them but have no ETA on getting anything.
Strangly I got a call late afternoon to schedule my install. I go from no ETA to being scheduled for service this coming tuesday....

Jhall1981

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Altitude
Occupation
Assembly Technician
Strangly I got a call late afternoon to schedule my install. I go from no ETA to being scheduled for service this coming tuesday....
How long total was the wait? I’ve been waiting since mid September!! I’m just curious.

stang37

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Landover, 2004 Mustang Cobra, 2013 SHO Taurus. 2016 Newmar Ventana motorhome
Occupation
Retired
I'm not sure if its the dealership or the region that is on hold. I took mine in on 11-15 was told they couldn't find an issue. Service Manager called region director and was told to change the box if the customer wanted it changed. They then told me everything was on hold until later in the year. Three days later I got a call it was in. They replace the box on 11-26. Steers much smoother and a little more responsive. The warranty paperwork didn't show any flash update or software changes. I'll go back in a couple weeks to check on update.

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
How long total was the wait? I’ve been waiting since mid September!! I’m just curious.
It was around 5 weeks till when I called pretty much 6 when the part came in. I know the dealership I went to had a decent amount of these things on order and knew the process.

The description they had for the order was hilarious. It was like "driving unstable, vehicle is wandering all over the place" It wasn't great but also was not even near that level.
Sponsored