Sponsored

Amp Research, Rock Slide, or Aries Offroad?

calipoontappa

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I assume you're just mounting to check to looks? No way you're going through all the wiring pain as well. It this is correct, you'll be missing one of the most important parts - how do you like the "steps". Also, with the Amps, you likely won't be able to install the step itself without power as the motors are in different positions and don't retract until power is applied. In any case, be care not to install the steps until they've retracted or it can bend the step. This bit of wisdom was left out of the instructions - found it out when calling Amp about another issue.

Good luck in your decision - either choice is likely to be great!
just mounting.
I already have the AMP installed, the step is HUGE lol the motors go in independently they are not in so I can manually push the step up or pull it down. It looks better in my opinion than the RSE. The RSE in person looks like the side of a boat BUT I dropped an AMP step from 6 inches off the ground and landed on a bolt and now it’s dented. I can’t imagine going on any trail with these. They look much better than RSE in my opinion but they are purely a fancy step nothing more.
Sponsored

OP
OP
immaechu

immaechu

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow / 2005 Honda Accord Coupe w/ Air Suspension
Occupation
Owner of printing company
Vehicle Showcase
Send pics of comparison

TwistedJeeps

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon JLU, 2020 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Railroader
We went with RSE on the wifes JL and they have held up great

Deadeye

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
So I have had both on the gladiator, and am very passionate about RSE at this point.

Initially went with a pro install of the Amp XL. The shop had issues with the wiring. Couple things here that are important:
  • Wiring integrates to the OEM sensors. I view this as a plus, but...
  • It can void the warranty, and Jeep has already done it. If you mess up it can be a major ordeal, as I’ll cover in a minute.
  • The wiring isn’t plug and play. You better know what you are doing with a fairly complicated electronic system, as you will be splicing wires. And hope that you can pick up on subtle differences in color names and/or test every wire.
  • AMP is super-unresponsive. Hope you have access to a service manual from Jeep if you run into wiring issues
The shop certainly messed up, but AMP’s unresponsiveness to a major customer of there’s was pretty telling to me. Ultimately, the shop comp’d me and we pulled the things off. In addition to those issues, take a look at the truck cab. It tapers back just enough to be noticeable when a straight edge is position up against it like the CL board. IMO it doesn’t look right, as there will be a big gap.

Now to the RSE. They have there own sensors that utilize magnets. If I am honest, it makes me nervous, but haven’t had an issue in 5k miles. Other than the power connection, they are entirely self contained, so no warranty issues and a relatively easy install. Did it myself in a couple hours, mostly because the body bolts of the truck are TIGHT.

I opted for the lights And door delete kit, which are normally extras, but I called to order in person and asked nice and they threw them in free of charge and even discounted the steps.

upon arrival, the passenger side step had taken a hefty blow in transit, and the step was messed up. I didn’t notice thedamage until I had mounted the drivers side, so went ahead and got it on. RSE was great about Shipley the new one, pretty much no questions asked. Didn’t require a deposit or anything. And for what it is worth, the RSE is very stout, not sure how they managed to hit it that hard.

I feel the RSE looks way better. It conforms to the curve of the cab, and is the width of the fender, so it does a great job of stopping any stone chips and mud. I also just went through the Jeep Academy and definitely hit some obstacles. The RSE is still unblemished. They have a great coating.

I am by no means a hardcore rock crawler, just want to take it to some off trail campsites. After seeing both, I honestly don’t think the AMP would hold up to even mild off-roading. A stick will probably damage them.

Deadeye

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
If you talk to RSE, they will probably tell you why they did the sensors the way they did, as they initially wanted to go OEM sensors. That’s a pretty good sales pitch in its own right.

spoiler Alert:several voided warranties in R&D

Sponsored

Ravenron

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Engineer
So I have had both on the gladiator, and am very passionate about RSE at this point.

Initially went with a pro install of the Amp XL. The shop had issues with the wiring. Couple things here that are important:
  • Wiring integrates to the OEM sensors. I view this as a plus, but...
  • It can void the warranty, and Jeep has already done it. If you mess up it can be a major ordeal, as I’ll cover in a minute.
  • The wiring isn’t plug and play. You better know what you are doing with a fairly complicated electronic system, as you will be splicing wires. And hope that you can pick up on subtle differences in color names and/or test every wire.
  • AMP is super-unresponsive. Hope you have access to a service manual from Jeep if you run into wiring issues
The shop certainly messed up, but AMP’s unresponsiveness to a major customer of there’s was pretty telling to me. Ultimately, the shop comp’d me and we pulled the things off. In addition to those issues, take a look at the truck cab. It tapers back just enough to be noticeable when a straight edge is position up against it like the CL board. IMO it doesn’t look right, as there will be a big gap.

Now to the RSE. They have there own sensors that utilize magnets. If I am honest, it makes me nervous, but haven’t had an issue in 5k miles. Other than the power connection, they are entirely self contained, so no warranty issues and a relatively easy install. Did it myself in a couple hours, mostly because the body bolts of the truck are TIGHT.

I opted for the lights And door delete kit, which are normally extras, but I called to order in person and asked nice and they threw them in free of charge and even discounted the steps.

upon arrival, the passenger side step had taken a hefty blow in transit, and the step was messed up. I didn’t notice thedamage until I had mounted the drivers side, so went ahead and got it on. RSE was great about Shipley the new one, pretty much no questions asked. Didn’t require a deposit or anything. And for what it is worth, the RSE is very stout, not sure how they managed to hit it that hard.

I feel the RSE looks way better. It conforms to the curve of the cab, and is the width of the fender, so it does a great job of stopping any stone chips and mud. I also just went through the Jeep Academy and definitely hit some obstacles. The RSE is still unblemished. They have a great coating.

I am by no means a hardcore rock crawler, just want to take it to some off trail campsites. After seeing both, I honestly don’t think the AMP would hold up to even mild off-roading. A stick will probably damage them.
As I have posted, I went with the Amp XL Steps on my Mojave...and I like them. That said, everything Deadeye talks about in this post regarding installation and Amp's mediocre customer service is SPOT-ON. The Amp instructions are difficult and poorly organized and Amp wasn't interested in any feedback. The wiring is painful and the driver's side portion of the harness is too short - requiring some gymnastics to get it to fit. Again, Amp is not interested in any feedback. Of note - the wiring doesn't require any cutting but does utilize "wire-taps". I hadn't used these before but they are pretty unique items and work MUCH better than cutting. That said, I agree that tapping into the harness is a bit intimidating.

Despite all of the above, I really like the steps. The wider Amp step is much easier to use than the narrow step on the RSE but will NOT stand up to abuse like the RSE. I purchased through 4WP and got the "no questions asked" warranty for $160. If I damage them in any way, for any reason, they are replaced free of charge. Good warranty - I've used it before with no issues. I guess we'll see.

If you're gonna do moderate or extreme off-roading - the Amp's are not for you. If you're gonna do daily driving and light off-roading they should be fine - my opinion and time will tell.

One last point/question...it appears as though the RSE drops a bit lower when deployed than the Amp XL. How close to the ground is the RSE on stock suspension/ride height (I ask because I don't know)? The Amp is okay on my stock suspension Mojave but the RSE might be a bit close to the ground and negate the benefit of a step?

So...there ya go. Hope this might help someone...good luck whatever you choose!

Deadeye

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
As I have posted, I went with the Amp XL Steps on my Mojave...and I like them. That said, everything Deadeye talks about in this post regarding installation and Amp's mediocre customer service is SPOT-ON. The Amp instructions are difficult and poorly organized and Amp wasn't interested in any feedback. The wiring is painful and the driver's side portion of the harness is too short - requiring some gymnastics to get it to fit. Again, Amp is not interested in any feedback. Of note - the wiring doesn't require any cutting but does utilize "wire-taps". I hadn't used these before but they are pretty unique items and work MUCH better than cutting. That said, I agree that tapping into the harness is a bit intimidating.

Despite all of the above, I really like the steps. The wider Amp step is much easier to use than the narrow step on the RSE but will NOT stand up to abuse like the RSE. I purchased through 4WP and got the "no questions asked" warranty for $160. If I damage them in any way, for any reason, they are replaced free of charge. Good warranty - I've used it before with no issues. I guess we'll see.

If you're gonna do moderate or extreme off-roading - the Amp's are not for you. If you're gonna do daily driving and light off-roading they should be fine - my opinion and time will tell.

One last point/question...it appears as though the RSE drops a bit lower when deployed than the Amp XL. How close to the ground is the RSE on stock suspension/ride height (I ask because I don't know)? The Amp is okay on my stock suspension Mojave but the RSE might be a bit close to the ground and negate the benefit of a step?

So...there ya go. Hope this might help someone...good luck whatever you choose!
they come down to right about the middle of my shin...maybe 8”?

Membrain

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKURX & 2020 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
I chose the RSE product and so far like them very much. My lift is not yet installed and the RSE steps are nice.
However, I decided to add the armor to the RSE steps and am now a little bothered.
The installation of the armor is not the issue, it is the finish of the upper edge.
The original RSE static slider pieces have a curved upper edge which is easy on the bare legs if you are wearing shorts and slide out of the seats without stepping on them (the steps).
The top edge of the addon armor is a square edge which is uncomfortably sharp (not enough to cut) enough to cause discomfort on bare skin when sliding out of the seats, such as when wearing shorts.
I am looking at adding some type of rubber or plastic edge trim to rectify this issue. (RSE - Are you listening?)
Otherwise, these are beefy, work well and look nice when installed.

Deadeye

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Launch Edition
I chose the RSE product and so far like them very much. My lift is not yet installed and the RSE steps are nice.
However, I decided to add the armor to the RSE steps and am now a little bothered.
The installation of the armor is not the issue, it is the finish of the upper edge.
The original RSE static slider pieces have a curved upper edge which is easy on the bare legs if you are wearing shorts and slide out of the seats without stepping on them (the steps).
The top edge of the addon armor is a square edge which is uncomfortably sharp (not enough to cut) enough to cause discomfort on bare skin when sliding out of the seats, such as when wearing shorts.
I am looking at adding some type of rubber or plastic edge trim to rectify this issue. (RSE - Are you listening?)
Otherwise, these are beefy, work well and look nice when installed.
I'm glad I saw this, been thinking about getting the armor. Maybe I will wait a while.

For what its worth, I participated in the first Jeep Academy class in Holly, Michigan a couple weeks ago. Twice I came down very hard on slider, and a couple more times a dragged a little over a sand/gravel pile. After washing the truck, there is literally no a dent, scratch, or scuff. I was pretty impressed. It really made we wonder how UPS managed to damage the first set they sent.