Another Mojave on 40s

SloW8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Hey All,

I have owned two Mojaves.

The first, I put on an AEV spacer lift with Geo brackets, adjustable track bars and 37" tires. I loved the way that drove but always wanted a little more.

I ended up selling that (HUGE MISTAKE) and eventually bought a new Mojave.

This one, I did things a little different. I went with 2.5" EVO Plushride coils, AEV shock extension brackets and Mopar front lower control arms, the ones for their 2" lift. Again, I went with 37" tires.

This drove well, but wasn't nearly as good as the first Mojave with the Geo brackets.

I decided that I wanted to go to 40" tires after seeing my friends roll over everything with them. After much research and taking my use case into consideration I went with the 40" Milestar XT tires wrapped around the Teraflex split spoke Nomad wheels.

Of course 40's means I wanted more lift. More lift meant different shocks. I have been super happy with the Fox shocks on the Mojave but... it was time to let them go.

And to cut off the stupid crash bracket from the passenger frame rail for clearance.

So this is what I settled on...

Evo 4.5" Plushride Coils and bump stops, Falcon 3.3 SP2 shocks w/Mojave bushings, Adjustable track bars front and rear, Keep the Mopar lower arms and add the AEV geo brackets.

I guess I should mention that I added a front E-locker and 5.38 gears. Also the Apex disconnects.

I love the way this thing drives. Returns to center, feels smooth and stable at 75mph.

I also really dig the shocks, especially for the price.

I am running them on 2.1 in the front and 2.4 in the rear and it feels good. I drove 100 miles on washboard dirt roads and 2 track this weekend and was really happy with the control and dampening.

As good as the Mojave shocks? Probably not, but these heavier tires and new springs, they were going to lose their advantage anyway.

I am surprised out how well this setup drives. Between the geo brackets and the longer control arms, I have good return to center and stability at speed. I have not gotten an alignment yet but I expect some healthy caster numbers with this setup.

I am loving the way this drives. Can't wait to get down to Moab and play with the added clearance.

*Milestar XT 40x13.50r17 - Milestar XT 40s - 40" Milestar XT*

I am really digging this tire. It is really quiet. Way more quiet than the 37" ProComp MT that I had on before. It drives well on snowy/slushy roads. Certainly better than mud tires.

They don't chuck stones and gravel on dirt roads like other ATs that I have had.

I will see how they do on slick rock in Southern Utah. I expect they will be okay but, I am sure they won't do as well as a mud tire in mud. If they are horrible off-road, I will switch to a mud tire.

Before:
Jeep Gladiator Another Mojave on 40s jeep stuff

After:

Jeep Gladiator Another Mojave on 40s img_0197_720

Jeep Gladiator Another Mojave on 40s img_0100_720
Sponsored

PW45

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Occupation
Dad, Veteran, Electrical Engineer
oh F you, that is disgusting... god it's beautiful. Honestly, the 'before' didn't look too bad (compared to mine) except that factory plastic bumper always looks silly on trails lol.

nice to see another de-badger!

redline61

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
That turned out amazing! Love the look

aFatBird

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel
Any new axle shafts or just running the stock shafts? I'm planning for 40s as well but mostly concerned about stock parts failing.

OP
OP
SloW8

SloW8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Any new axle shafts or just running the stock shafts? I'm planning for 40s as well but mostly concerned about stock parts failing.
For now I am running the stock shafts. I am rather judicious with the use of the throttle. I try to finesse over stuff rather than rely on wheel spin and bouncing.

I have heard a couple of thoughts on that as well. One is that the OEM shafts become the fuse to protect other components. If I twist a shaft I can replace it.

I think I would jump to 60s rather than try and build up the stock axles... ?

Sponsored

OP
OP
SloW8

SloW8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
oh F you, that is disgusting... god it's beautiful. Honestly, the 'before' didn't look too bad (compared to mine) except that factory plastic bumper always looks silly on trails lol.

nice to see another de-badger!
LOL - :CWL:

Thanks. Yeah, I love orange but am happy with my blacked out badges.

aFatBird

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon EcoDiesel
For now I am running the stock shafts. I am rather judicious with the use of the throttle. I try to finesse over stuff rather than rely on wheel spin and bouncing.

I have heard a couple of thoughts on that as well. One is that the OEM shafts become the fuse to protect other components. If I twist a shaft I can replace it.

I think I would jump to 60s rather than try and build up the stock axles... ?
I'm planning to go 60s just for the peace of mind even though the price tag is insane.

I've spoken to people with built stock housings and they haven't had issues with anything. I'm just concerned about the pinion gear and the wheel bearings as I think those would be the weakest link once you install shafts and a truss.

GMag

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Your rig looks great! I just picked up a set of those wheels are they the -12 offset?
If so any issues with rubbing anywhere?

OP
OP
SloW8

SloW8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Yes, the -12s. No rubbing or issues. I added the rash rings and painted them a close enough color….

IMG_0323.jpeg

GMag

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Yes, the -12s. No rubbing or issues. I added the rash rings and painted them a close enough color….
Dam you may have just pushed me over the edge. Looks great man! 🍻

Sponsored

ATX_Jeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD
Occupation
IT
Looks great! I'm also wanting to bump up to 4.5" and those 40s. Did you take any measurements? Ground to fender or tire height when mounted to the Jeep?

OP
OP
SloW8

SloW8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Looks great! I'm also wanting to bump up to 4.5" and those 40s. Did you take any measurements? Ground to fender or tire height when mounted to the Jeep?
Thanks!

I have not taken any measurements. I get a slight bit of rub at full lock. Probably should have gone with the wider offset wheel.

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer
Great information and build.

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
I may be in the minority here but I think the black stock fenders and black hard top (at least on the non metallic colors) is better looking than anything else.

nice looking jeep brotha! I sure am getting anxious to wheel mine
Sponsored