(Another) New Windshield

tikijimmy

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
I have a '20 Overland, and am now waiting on Safelite to stop by with my second new windshield. First one took a rock on a cross-country drive in August 2020, and my wife caught another rock here in town last week.

Anyone else have this kind of luck? I know vertical windshields are far more susceptible to damage, but going through a windshield every year can get pricey 💸
Sponsored

flipmode

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland
I have a '20 Overland, and am now waiting on Safelite to stop by with my second new windshield. First one took a rock on a cross-country drive in August 2020, and my wife caught another rock here in town last week.

Anyone else have this kind of luck? I know vertical windshields are far more susceptible to damage, but going through a windshield every year can get pricey 💸
I feel your pain here, I've had 3 windshields since December '20, and they seem to have gotten progressively worse- feels personal. I just picked mine up from Safelite this last Friday for a replacement.

The gentleman at the shop said it is the most popular windshield they replace. So as far as I can tell, until the quality of glass improves (more resilient) or we have some reasonable aftermarket replacements, its the price of doing business. A friend of mine just doesn't replace his (on a JL)- its been smashed/cracked the entire time if known him.

CWGrisw0ld

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jeep Rubicon JKU, 2020 Jeep Rubicon JT
Racing optics windshield film

Hipbilly

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport, 2007 FJ Cruiser

Sponsored

Tacos

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon ECO Diesel
Occupation
Metal Pattern Maker
My old JKs were way harder on windshields first one at 375 miles. Longest one lasted was 5600 miles then Mopar came out with the Gorilla Glass windshields.... That one lasted the life of the Jeep. It took a hummingbird at 72mph and shrugged it off... Buy once cry once

OP
OP
tikijimmy

tikijimmy

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
someday I'll get an aftermarket (more durable) windshield, but this is a lease so I'm stuck with OEM replacements.

At least insurance covers it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

staying_tuned

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: TJx2, JKx1, JKUx1
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Architect

Clv22p

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Gorilla glass.

I put two in the first 8,000 miles of my truck. Got the gorilla glass and currently at 23,000 miles. I have had a few hits that I know would have broken the OE glass.

staying_tuned

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: TJx2, JKx1, JKUx1
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Architect
Gorilla glass.

I put two in the first 8,000 miles of my truck. Got the gorilla glass and currently at 23,000 miles. I have had a few hits that I know would have broken the OE glass.
If you don’t mind sharing, what was the total installed cost to upgrade?

Sponsored

Hipbilly

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport, 2007 FJ Cruiser
...Do you know if that can be peeled off?
No clue. Its actually part of the "Frit", or the screen printed black border. I'm sure you could scrape it off...

As far as the HGP vs Mopar? I don't know if they're neck and neck or not. I know that they were mentioning their orientation of the glass as being unique; they put the soda-lime glass on the outside and the Dow-Corning Gorilla glass on the inside.
I'm not sure if that's different from Mopar's or not, and it seems counter-intuitive, but it sure as shit works.
I've now had two serious hits on the interstate that i know would have busted the OEM glass, with the tiniest little surface crack on the outside, no chip and nothing visible from the inside.

Last edited:

ajstx09

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Texas Trail
Tell me why I saw this thread this morning and didn’t click on it. On my way home I saw about a 2” crack in my windshield, (gorilla glass). Haven’t even hit 1200 miles. So annoying.

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
Factory Gorilla glass?

HGP has a 2 yr warranty, is why I ask. I've had hard hits on mine in the last 10 months, not a scratch.

Tell me why I saw this thread this morning and didn’t click on it. On my way home I saw about a 2” crack in my windshield, (gorilla glass). Haven’t even hit 1200 miles. So annoying.

SteveInOrlando

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Software Design
Factory Gorilla glass?

HGP has a 2 yr warranty, is why I ask. I've had hard hits on mine in the last 10 months, not a scratch.
I love my HGP windshield! By 1300 miles I had 2 windshields replaced from highway driving in Florida. in the 3800 miles since I have had many rocks ping off my windshield without so much as a scratch.

I did pay 700 for the windshield, but the insurance paid for the install. Took some negotiating, but I told them they could continue buying windshields or pay the install for this final one. They liked that option. Did take a supervisory override to get it done, but hey. Safelite wouldn't touch it since it wasn't a stock windshield they could replace again in 2 weeks.

The one thing the HGP glass needs is tint. It is a clear magnifying glass. If you park facing the sun, it will raise the temp inside the vehicle to mid 100 easy.

On an 80 degree day I made that mistake and came back to a vehicle that was showing a temp of 136 degrees. A ceramic windshield tint with their lightest almost clear tint solved that problem for me.

As for the guy that has had 2 windshields replaced already, check your policy. You may be limited to 3 windshields per 12 months.

jbehrn

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
If you don’t mind sharing, what was the total installed cost to upgrade?
In my area the price (including installation) was negligibly different (~$50) between the Mopar and HGP glass. My total cost for the HGP with install was ~$950.
Sponsored