Sponsored

Any max tow owners regret not getting a rubicon?

red/green hawk

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S with max tow package, 2008 Suburban LTZ
Occupation
ICU Nurse
it comes with lockers installed front and rear ? The housings might be the same but the application is different I thought.

never was suggesting it’s not capable, just that you really don’t need lockers if that’s all you do, and that the axles are not worth anything as take offs unless they’re from the rubicon.
I'm by no means offended. If there was anything on the Rubicon I would take it's the lockers.
Sponsored

Shackleton

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gobi Gladiator Sport S Max Tow, Camry
I have no regrets but I won’t be going beyond fire roads, beaches, and pavement unless I really get the Jeep bug because of this forum. Rubi was too much coin and I assumed I would have slightly better ride quality with max tow but I’m not entirely sure about that. No regrets but I think the bumper tow hooks, hood, decals, lift, wheels tires look better on the Rubi. I’ll probably get Rubi wheels in polished silver at some point.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I would say, you can’t add all the rubicon stuff to a max tow and expect to keep your stock tow and hauling capacity. Changing out suspension and adding all the weight of additional parts is why the Rubicon has lower ratings.
True but it will still tow more than a Rubicon because the rear springs are rated for higher towing. Also if I planned on keeping mine like a stock Rubicon then I would of bought a Rubicon. Max Tow got me the 4.10 gears and I was able to get a Base model with none of the creature comforts to worry about failing like power windows and power locks. I just wanted a base JT to build how I want. If I bought a Rubicon and put a 2.5" lift on it like I got on mine and then added the front and rear bumpers plus a winch and 35's the Rubicon would tow less than a Max Tow done that way and I would be out all the money I had to pay to get the front and rear bumpers, wheels and tires on the Rubicon. I also was able to get the Rubicon Suspension and the Rubi Rails for significantly cheaper than if I would of bought them on a Rubicon, $400 for everything. If you bought that stuff from Mopar that's like $2500 worth of stuff and I'm not even sure what the markup is on the Rubicon but I'd guess it's more than just buying the parts.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
I'm by no means offended. If there was anything on the Rubicon I would take it's the lockers.
no worries — I had re read my post and felt it may have come off wrong. Cheers

TRM07

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 2007 JK
Nope. Zero regrets. I wanted the towing capacity, though I’ll probably never come close to the max (I have 1 ton trucks at work I can use if need be). I have a 2 door jk that’s built up as my crawler with 4.88s and arb air lockers and all the other goodies.

I wanted the truck for a comfortable daily driver, back up if I break my jk off road, rainy day and winter ride. The jk doesn’t have doors or top most of the year and doesn’t see salt. But I still have the ability to take the top and doors off that I wouldn’t have with a regular truck.

Sponsored

Gunnuts

First Name
Lucas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
I love my truck. I wanted a Rubicon but saw all the take-offs coming up for sale and thought I could get everything I wanted cheaper. It's probably a wash but I've really enjoyed the build so far and met some good people along the way. After taxes, tags, title, shipping, or any other associated costs......I'm still under 50k. Maybe right at it after I get the Rubi axels installed. I wouldn't change my decision.......but I sure wish I had heated seats!

Snorkel done.jpeg

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I love my truck. I wanted a Rubicon but saw all the take-offs coming up for sale and thought I could get everything I wanted cheaper. It's probably a wash but I've really enjoyed the build so far and met some good people along the way. After taxes, tags, title, shipping, or any other associated costs......I'm still under 50k. Maybe right at it after I get the Rubi axels installed. I wouldn't change my decision.......but I sure wish I had heated seats!

Jeep Gladiator Any max tow owners regret not getting a rubicon? Snorkel don
Looks good ! Wish there was a desert air intake for the diesel.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

PDiddy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Architectural Illustrator
True but it will still tow more than a Rubicon because the rear springs are rated for higher towing. Also if I planned on keeping mine like a stock Rubicon then I would of bought a Rubicon. Max Tow got me the 4.10 gears and I was able to get a Base model with none of the creature comforts to worry about failing like power windows and power locks. I just wanted a base JT to build how I want. If I bought a Rubicon and put a 2.5" lift on it like I got on mine and then added the front and rear bumpers plus a winch and 35's the Rubicon would tow less than a Max Tow done that way and I would be out all the money I had to pay to get the front and rear bumpers, wheels and tires on the Rubicon. I also was able to get the Rubicon Suspension and the Rubi Rails for significantly cheaper than if I would of bought them on a Rubicon, $400 for everything. If you bought that stuff from Mopar that's like $2500 worth of stuff and I'm not even sure what the markup is on the Rubicon but I'd guess it's more than just buying the parts.
First, I’m not saying the Rubicon is better. I think the max tow is probably the best way to go with the Gladiator. My comment is regards to people mentioning they add on all this stuff and say it still has this high tow rating. That isn’t true

There are three things that allow the max tow to haul and tow more.
1. Curb weight
2. Tire size (effects drive ratio)
3. Rear springs

If you Lift it, add larger wheels and tires, and add metal bumpers and such, you take away all three of its stock advantages, and it won’t tow or haul as much as it would stock. You can’t turn it into a Rubicon and say it still tows and hauls more.

increase curb weight = reduce GCVW

Increase tire size = reduced torque and increase braking distance

Replace rear springs = increased rear squat

I can’t put the Mojave suspension on my Rubicon and still expect it to tow or hall more than a stock Mojave. It probably would because of the final drive ratio, but I can’t say for sure what my actual safe towing and hauling numbers would be, once I made that change.

Sponsored

anavrinIV

First Name
Chaz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mazdaspeed3, 1956 F100
Occupation
Engineer
What is the closest I could get to a rubi and still have a clutch? Max tow forfits this, correct?
Correct. If you want 4.10s and a clutch you're buying a rubicon or regearing another model. I chose the former, and I love my truck

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
First, I’m not arguing to get a Rubicon over a Max Tow. I totally get your rational of it over a Rubicon.

First, I’m not saying the Rubicon is better. I think the max tow is probably the best way to go with the Gladiator. My comment is regards to people mentioning they add on all this stuff and say it still has this high tow rating. That isn’t true

1. Curb weight
3. Rear springs

If you Lift it, add larger wheels and tires, and add metal bumpers and such, you take away all three of its stock advantages, and it won’t tow or haul as much as it would stock. You can’t turn it into a Rubicon and say it still tows and hauls more.

I can’t put the Mojave suspension on my Rubicon and still expect it to tow or hall more than a stock Mojave. It probably would because of the final drive ratio, but I can’t say for sure what my actual safe towing and hauling numbers would be, once I made that change.

Exactly but the same applies to a Rubicon if you remove the bumpers and add on aftermarket bumpers which will be heavier then add larger tires the it's going to tow less as well. I'm not saying a Max Tow is better or a Rubicon is better all I'm saying is if you are going to take stuff off of a Rubicon then it makes more since to get a Max Tow and build it.

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator

1. Curb weight
3. Rear springs

final drive on Mojave is same as Rubicon. Front springs are stiffer, rears are slightly softer.

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator
Absolutely not....

I completed all the mid/harder trails in Moab without lockers...
telling people you “did moab” in anything less than a wrangler on 40’s with diffs locked and sway bar disconnected is liable to get you burned at the stake on account of witch craft.

i have a video of my xterra doing a trail in moab, and the jeep club is in the background snickering away. “Is he gonna try that?” “Pft. Xterra. Get a winch ready” “no way he makes it” “what is he thinking?”

up we go.

“....huh. Didnt expect that”
Sponsored