Sponsored

Any reason to avoid Manual Transmission?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I guess my kids - and grand kid, have a big advantage. My sons had the advantage of not having everything right up front, not always having the latest in cars, so were very familiar with manual everything. My grandson has the advantage in that his father and mother are teaching him about the whole world, not just his little part of it. Dual citizenship, multiple languages, and cars and trucks, new and old. He's already been to one of the world's more diverse auto museum - at age 5.
I feel sorry for the sheltered kids of parents of means who never gets outside of their own plush neighborhood to see the rest of the world, to see what other people are like, how and where they live..............
My son saw me converting my SX4 to power windows and locks, he owned one with manual windows and locks, and my grandson is only 6 now but really wants to help. It's hard to keep him away from a shop and tools.

Maybe the JT is a good vehicle to show your kids - see, there's a lever here - YOU must pull that and YOU must move the seat.
Sponsored

wannajeep

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6sp JTR
Also, try to explain that you have to push the door lock down, then hold the push button down on the outside handle while closing the door to lock the car.... lol.. That one takes a while to sink in..
I completely forgot about that one! Hadn't thought of that in about 40 years!

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Also, try to explain that you have to push the door lock down, then hold the push button down on the outside handle while closing the door to lock the car.... lol.. That one takes a while to sink in..
Some were that way, some you simply pushed the lock, got out and closed the door. Too easy to lock and not realize the key was still in it with those. The type that made you hold the door handle to lock it at least forced you to think about what you were doing.
I can't recall if it was a decade thing, or model thing - I've owned cars both ways - some you had to hold the handle, others you simply closed it.
Can't fully say it's model related because of two Javelins - one you had to hold the door handle paddle out while closing to get it to lock, the other, 3 years later, you simply close the door.

3-pedal-Rub

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley Night Train, Buell Lightning, TL, 4runner, JTR
I have one reason. If you order one, you might not ever get it.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

wannajeep

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6sp JTR
Some were that way, some you simply pushed the lock, got out and closed the door. Too easy to lock and not realize the key was still in it with those.
One feature in the JT I really love (and have "used" at least 3 times now) is the jeep won't let me lock the key fob inside it. This is the first rig I've ever owned that doesn't require a key to be in the ignition so I'm forgetting I put the fob in the cup holder (I'm trying to train myself to leave it in my pocket).

The first time I locked and closed the door with the fob inside I didn't know why the jeep was beeping at me so I went back to investigate and well there ya go.

Sponsored

kd1yt

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator JT Sport S Red, 2014 Ural sidecar 2wd motorcycle, '51 Dodge M37
One feature in the JT I really love (and have "used" at least 3 times now) is the jeep won't let me lock the key fob inside it. This is the first rig I've ever owned that doesn't require a key to be in the ignition so I'm forgetting I put the fob in the cup holder (I'm trying to train myself to leave it in my pocket).

The first time I locked and closed the door with the fob inside I didn't know why the jeep was beeping at me so I went back to investigate and well there ya go.
Do you have the keyless entry? Just wondering if this is something that is across-the-board (without the keyless entry) or just with keyless entry. If it's an across-the-board feature, it's a nice oops preventer.

wannajeep

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6sp JTR
Do you have the keyless entry? Just wondering if this is something that is across-the-board (without the keyless entry) or just with keyless entry. If it's an across-the-board feature, it's a nice oops preventer.
Hate to say, I don't even know. All this new tech is new to me. All I know is I have a fob with push buttons (lock, unlock, panic), and I don't need to use a key to open a door or start up the Jeep (push a button on the dash), and the fob has a button that flips out a traditional key like a switchblade, which I assume mates to a traditional lock on the front doors. Never used it yet and embarrassed to say I don't even remember if the Jeep has traditional key locks on the front door, but I think it might :D

Regardless, I love the anti lockout feature. The JT is smarter than I am. Not surprising.

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)
Hate to say, I don't even know. All this new tech is new to me. All I know is I have a fob with push buttons (lock, unlock, panic), and I don't need to use a key to open a door or start up the Jeep (push a button on the dash), and the fob has a button that flips out a traditional key like a switchblade, which I assume mates to a traditional lock on the front doors. Never used it yet and embarrassed to say I don't even remember if the Jeep has traditional key locks on the front door, but I think it might :D

Regardless, I love the anti lockout feature. The JT is smarter than I am. Not surprising.
If you can unlock the doors by grabbing the handle, then you have proximity locks. You can go all day and never take the fob out of your pocket!

wannajeep

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6sp JTR
If you can unlock the doors by grabbing the handle, then you have proximity locks. You can go all day and never take the fob out of your pocket!
I just tried it. No go. I had to hit the unlock button on the fob. That's still an upgrade compared to the previous work truck ;)

kd1yt

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator JT Sport S Red, 2014 Ural sidecar 2wd motorcycle, '51 Dodge M37
I just tried it. No go. I had to hit the unlock button on the fob. That's still an upgrade compared to the previous work truck ;)
That's really cool if even the models (like mine) that don't have keyless/ proximity entry do keep you from locking yourself out. I'll have to try putting my spare key in a known place a long distance from the vehicle, and then "trying to lock myself out" with the key in the vehicle, to see if this works. Not sure I would want to count on it, but nice if it is something that they at least tried to achieve.

Sponsored

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Certified Emergency Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I'm happy with my 6speed manual in my Rubicon. Clutch takes some getting used too and reverse is pretty tall - used to other vehicles with gear whiners in reverse - have to rev a bit higher. The throws are short and precise. Wish the Jeep engine was louder since I am accustomed to shifting by sound but often can't really hear it. May be going aftermarket exhaust. I wonder if I'd be less happy if I didn't have a Rubi with 4.10 axle gears?

TRVLR

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
I have one reason. If you order one, you might not ever get it.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
I gave up today and asked my dealer to swap with the dealer 100 miles away for a manual that was similar (not the same) as my order. Originally placed 11/8, but now an Overland in my driveway.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I'm happy with my 6speed manual in my Rubicon. Clutch takes some getting used too and reverse is pretty tall - used to other vehicles with gear whiners in reverse - have to rev a bit higher. The throws are short and precise. Wish the Jeep engine was louder since I am accustomed to shifting by sound but often can't really hear it. May be going aftermarket exhaust. I wonder if I'd be less happy if I didn't have a Rubi with 4.10 axle gears?
I do as well - shift by sound and feel. The JT manual sounds like the T5 in my Eagle - VERY high ratio reverse. I hate backing up our driveway as you have to really rev - and zip up toward the street. I generally turn around in the driveway to avoid backing that car. It's even worse if I have the small trailer on behind it.
That's one reason I didn't get a stick for my truck - I hate backing a car hauler into tight spots with a high ratio reverse gear. I want to keep it moving slowly and not have to keep working the clutch while maneuvering a long trailer around backwards. Otherwise I'd not mind a stick at all - grew up with 'em and love the T5 in my car.
From the sound if it you'd not want a manual with the 3.73 gears of the Overland.

3-pedal-Rub

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley Night Train, Buell Lightning, TL, 4runner, JTR
I gave up today and asked my dealer to swap with the dealer 100 miles away for a manual that was similar (not the same) as my order. Originally placed 11/8, but now an Overland in my driveway.
Bummer. At least you stuck it with the stick.

TRVLR

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
Had the chance to drive around a bit today and feel exactly the same as you, but with an Overland. Did stall when backing up...that will take some time.
Sponsored