Sponsored

Anybody ever try and make their own set of mud flaps?

Jocww

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
thewongwindingroad.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
73 Fj40 lq9 on 38s 2021 JTRD Gecko Green on 37s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Flight Instructor
So I tried to order some rokblokz last night but they are on MST and I'm on PST. So when I emailed them the code they said I didn't get in on their time... ok fine saved me from giving them my money. Smart salesman would be like hey what do you want I'll give you the discount. But since that didn't happen. I was thinking of gong to napa or a truck stop and just getting a pair of semi flaps and then cutting them down. Then going to lowes or HD and being the m6 bolts and clips. Had anybody tried this? The shape looks pretty basic and unless somebody would be nice enough to trace theirs out. I think a cardboard template wouldn't be too hard. What say you?
Sponsored

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT, 2013 Volvo XC90, 2003 LR Disco
Occupation
Liquor Attorney. So not all bad...
So I tried to order some rokblokz last night but they are on MST and I'm on PST. So when I emailed them the code they said I didn't get in on their time... ok fine saved me from giving them my money. Smart salesman would be like hey what do you want I'll give you the discount. But since that didn't happen. I was thinking of gong to napa or a truck stop and just getting a pair of semi flaps and then cutting them down. Then going to lowes or HD and being the m6 bolts and clips. Had anybody tried this? The shape looks pretty basic and unless somebody would be nice enough to trace theirs out. I think a cardboard template wouldn't be too hard. What say you?
I think the benefit of getting the Rockblokz is the way they mount. The flap material is good and of course there are substitutes but having the easy on easy off (especially the way they mound on the rear) is what you are getting from them. Otherwise - shouldn't be too hard to replicate the front mounting system and shape. I'd use old tire tread?

OP
OP
Jocww

Jocww

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
thewongwindingroad.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
73 Fj40 lq9 on 38s 2021 JTRD Gecko Green on 37s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Flight Instructor
Im only interested in the fronts as I dont think the rear would do all that much especially for 280 bucks.

Hostile4Jeeps

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
I’m liking the Weathertechs and fairly affordable too.

Sponsored

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Im interested in whatever you come up with. All the currently available flaps just look out of place and odd to me.

Reactions: Mac

spectre6000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
pending
I had RockBlokz on my last truck, but mounting was a more difficult proposition. Prior to ordering them, I looked into making my own. The only question was mounting and patterning, and I just got lazy.

The material I was going to use, and suggest you use, is industrial conveyer belt material, aka "potato belt". If you know what to look for, you'll see semi-trucks with the same material used as mud flaps pretty regularly. Definitely track some of this stuff down unless you just have an unused bed mat in good condition lying around (it'll chunk off and fall apart on you sooner than later). It's the same rubber compound as tires, and fabric reinforced. Comes in various thicknesses and widths (length is practically infinite). I like to keep it around for a variety of projects. Super tough stuff. I was able to go down in to the flats to an industrial supplier, and they sold me the end of a roll for real cheap.

RockBlox are made of some hard plastic that doesn't flex much (I forget the exact formulation). Not the most DIY friendly stuff. What they have over the potato belt (ignoring ease of install) is stiffness. If you get some of the thinner belting, it might flap around more than you'd like at high speeds. Thicker won't, but at some point you end up with a different set of issues. It's relatively easy to work, inexpensive, and incredibly durable. I think what I have is 3/8" with two fabric plies... I have a few sheets though, and I'm not sure they're all the same.

Semi-unrelated side note, we used some several years ago to turn the back of my wife's JKUR into a truck bed of sorts using this stuff. Made a pattern from paper, laid it out onto the belting, and cut it out. Drilled holes and installed hardware as needed. The downside (and it's not a small one) is that the stuff takes a while to off gas, and made her car smell like a tire shop inside... The plus side is that it made that bitch bulletproof! We put all sorts of badnasty back there that you wouldn't otherwise dare in a $50K vehicle. Used car engines, landscaping materials, and so on. Interior still looks brand new save for some dog hair. I forget the exact reason we made it in the first place, but it was one of the best things we've done so far for that Jeep. Doesn't get used any more because it requires the seats to be down, and now we have a carseat... But that's what trucks are for!

mountainpass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Sport w/ Max Tow
Once I found a fender liner in the ditch and it was either branded as a Subaru or it had a part number on it. Anyway I made some fenders for the bicycle I used on the CDT. It was a thin, flexible yet hard material and worked great on the ride. I had thought about trying to get another and make some for my jeep. Let us know what material you use.

Sponsored

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I made a set of mud flaps for my Subaru STi using semi trailer mud flaps. The key is the mounting. On the Subaru you just used the existing fender liner screws so it was easy.

I can't speak to that aspect of the Jeep. But I can say they worked great and cost me about $25 plus hardware.