Sponsored

Anyone else notice their bed is not centered?

AKDrifter

First Name
Judah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
You can find threads on here about the bed alignment from 2019, this is an issue as old as the Gladiator itself if you search for it. I think mine has it. Haven't lost a minute of sleep over it, but my father probably would have. I would be upset about the frame scratches. Mine is not scratched up like that underneath after 3 years and 45k miles now. I ordered mine with the Smoker's Package, and all it was is a cigarette lighter stuck into the power outlet. I could charge my phone and whatnot with it still, what kind of issues were you having with the outlet there? My power outlet became the Mopar Brake Controller so I don't have it anymore, but it worked when I did.

Chestnut

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 WRX, 2017 Forester XT, 2021 JTO
Occupation
Civil Engineer
The funny part is in 50 years there is going to be a person restoring a gladiator to factory condition. They are probably going to have to do a search to figure out what side it was offset and how much. Maybe they'll find this thread.

Mine if offset to the drivers side by about 3/4". If it's the way it came off the line it's the way it's supposed to be. Lets just call it character.

Charles 236

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Jeep technician
Working in the dealership, I get to see plenty of Gladiators. I don't usually pay attention to the alignment of the bed, but every one that I have looked at the bed to cab alignment has been off a bit. It is noticeable once you look for it, and once you see it you can't unsee it. The bed is offset towards the driver's side, maybe just so the driver won't notice the lack of attention to alignment of the bed.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Here is a photo of mine. Taken from the same spot on either side. I am willing to bet the OP is the same

948D0DA0-6427-456C-A67B-8187D5B9EED8.jpeg

CBA402A1-46E9-49FA-BCD6-E0AF27DD982F.jpeg

The pics make it look worse. Its about 1/4 - 1/2 inch difference between the two sides
My OCD would be freaking out over that. I'd have the dealer fix it and if they refused, I'd fix it.
As it is, my bed sits BACK from the cab.
On my 2020 the bed was close enough that the rubber seal actually just closed the gap. No pressure, but no gap between seal and cab.
The 2022 has a big gap between that seal and the body. The bed is centered but needs to be pushed straight forward. The seals to close that gap are sort of worthless if the bed is so far back there's still a big gap. ( the seals actually improve mpg, according to GM wind tunnel testing)

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Working in the dealership, I get to see plenty of Gladiators. I don't usually pay attention to the alignment of the bed, but every one that I have looked at the bed to cab alignment has been off a bit. It is noticeable once you look for it, and once you see it you can't unsee it. The bed is offset towards the driver's side, maybe just so the driver won't notice the lack of attention to alignment of the bed.
My 2020 was absolutely perfect in all body panel alignment, all gaps were consistent, the bed was perfectly centered, the tail gate closed perfectly even, it was flawless in fit of cab and bed and the seals between the bed and cab just filled the gap perfectly. You could sight a straight line down either side of the truck. I could not find anything to adjust.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
You can find threads on here about the bed alignment from 2019, this is an issue as old as the Gladiator itself if you search for it. I think mine has it. Haven't lost a minute of sleep over it, but my father probably would have. I would be upset about the frame scratches. Mine is not scratched up like that underneath after 3 years and 45k miles now. I ordered mine with the Smoker's Package, and all it was is a cigarette lighter stuck into the power outlet. I could charge my phone and whatnot with it still, what kind of issues were you having with the outlet there? My power outlet became the Mopar Brake Controller so I don't have it anymore, but it worked when I did.
The Jeep JT 12v outlet is identical in size to a cigarette lighter outlet diameter.
The lighters I have from cars of the 70s and 80s fit perfectly into the 12v outlets on these trucks. The outlets are lighter dimensions, unlike totally dedicated outlets which may be a larger size.
The only difference is the 12v outlet has a cover, the lighter has a, well, a lighter in it. The root of the two are the same.

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
My OCD would be freaking out over that. I'd have the dealer fix it and if they refused, I'd fix it.
As it is, my bed sits BACK from the cab.
On my 2020 the bed was close enough that the rubber seal actually just closed the gap. No pressure, but no gap between seal and cab.
The 2022 has a big gap between that seal and the body. The bed is centered but needs to be pushed straight forward. The seals to close that gap are sort of worthless if the bed is so far back there's still a big gap. ( the seals actually improve mpg, according to GM wind tunnel testing)
Oh it absolutely bothers me a lot. Even though I know it doesn't actually mean anything. It's weird because older trucks in the 90s and even 70's never had these sort of issues - that I remember anyway. So it would be interesting to see how and why it even happens. But I'm still recovering from surgery, so can't really do much about it ATM.

Thats interesting the seals can improve MPG. It makes sense...but it's crazy that little amount of gap sealing does anything considering how much turbulence is under the truck, and of course the bed doesn't help unless you have a cap or cover of some sort. I would think that the factory would keep maybe 1/8 gap though. At work our Rams have a seal like this in various places, and the ones that have the seals fully closing the gap actually wear the paint off over time to bare metal. But its interesting your gap is huge, I haven't seen a Glad with a big gap, only offset. It still amazes me though how fast these trucks can run down the assembly line.

Would you mind posting a pick of your bed both the gap and from the sides like I did just for reference please?

AKDrifter

First Name
Judah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon
The Jeep JT 12v outlet is identical in size to a cigarette lighter outlet diameter.
The lighters I have from cars of the 70s and 80s fit perfectly into the 12v outlets on these trucks. The outlets are lighter dimensions, unlike totally dedicated outlets which may be a larger size.
The only difference is the 12v outlet has a cover, the lighter has a, well, a lighter in it. The root of the two are the same.
It's funny, in these the Smoker's Package is just the cigarette lighter shoved into the outlet. Still has the regular door over it, obviously doesn't close or anything. Looks really stupid. And the ashtrays is a cup that takes up the cup holder. Absolutely no thought or time put into the package. When I saw it initially looking so ridiculous I just threw the lighter into the cup and put it in a box in the garage. Looks much cleaner without, and I don't smoke, but thought having a lighter wouldn't be a bad idea as a last resort in the woods. It would work for that, but just looked terrible. Then again it was only $30.

OP
OP
Mr.volleyball13

Mr.volleyball13

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 gladiaor
The funny part is in 50 years there is going to be a person restoring a gladiator to factory condition. They are probably going to have to do a search to figure out what side it was offset and how much. Maybe they'll find this thread.

Mine if offset to the drivers side by about 3/4". If it's the way it came off the line it's the way it's supposed to be. Lets just call it character.
My jeeps got some character. My bed is also about 3/4" of an inch to the drivers side. The tough part is once I noticed it, that's all I notice when I look at my bed. What I notice the most (this is how I discovered it) is the rubber gap between the bed ane cab. One side I can stick my fingers between and the other I can't. I guess I'll have to add a lift, rims and 37's to distract me. Do you notice the same large gap between the bed and cab rubber?

Last edited:

Sponsored

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
I checked mine today with a straight edge. It's less an a 3/16" difference. The seal gap is equal on both sides.

kennyglm

First Name
kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 gladiator
wow what a pile of poop ! Is this a used truck ? Were your eyes closed when you looked at it. If its new why didnt you take it back to the dealer ?
Sponsored