Sponsored

Anyone install or use a Block or Battery heater in winter on the 3.6L?

stickshifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
I hear you on Vegas, but up here in northern WI the temps are much different than Indiana. We get that cold arctic air at least a few times a winter and last winter it lasted almost a week which completely killed my battery that was not even 2 years old and had an additional 120CCA compared to stock. I tried 3 different fully charged jump packs and none of them could even get the car to turn over once. We certainly don't need a block heater every day, but when we do it is a life saver.

I feel your pain brother. Our coldest days in northern WI are usually -30 to -50 degrees before the wind chill. It looks like the record is -55 degrees a touch further north than me when I was in high school. I remember that time as we had wind chills approach -70 and they only delayed school 2 hours. :swear: Nice temp. gauge, by the way. LaCrosse is in WI so it figures that our gauges could read that low. lol
:surprised: That's cold! I thought we had it really cold once: We go to Ouray, Colorado about twice a winter to ice climb. One morning we woke up (while camping in a ground tent), and it was -40. Needless to say, we opted not to fire up the camp stove and cook that morning, and instead we headed into town for breakfast. I was with my girlfriend at the time, and instead of dumping me, she married me! The cold must have damaged her brain. But when it comes to cold, Wisconsin doesn't play around!

P.S. tell your neighbors thanks for making my temp gauge!
Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
These are aluminum engines that use 0w20 oil. There is no where in the lower 48 that you "need" a block heater.

Even if you move to the coldest states, it would only be a couple of days per year that is would be worth the money or the hassle.

Remote start will give you heat in about 5 mins in all but the coldest temps.

Use a block heater in Vegas for when it gets below 40? To get heat? You would have heat in 2 mins. That makes no sense whatsoever.

A block heater. In Las Vegas. Still wrapping my head around that one.

Block heaters are for places like the Yukon.

Diesel maybe in Minnesota for ease of starting. A gasser? No need.
You need to learn to read better. I used a block heater with the diesel truck. Just because we have hot summers doesn't mean it's warm in the winter.

OP
OP
YayMud!

YayMud!

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator 80th Anniversary
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
car guru
:surprised: That's cold! I thought we had it really cold once: We go to Ouray, Colorado about twice a winter to ice climb. One morning we woke up (while camping in a ground tent), and it was -40. Needless to say, we opted not to fire up the camp stove and cook that morning, and instead we headed into town for breakfast. I was with my girlfriend at the time, and instead of dumping me, she married me! The cold must have damaged her brain. But when it comes to cold, Wisconsin doesn't play around!

P.S. tell your neighbors thanks for making my temp gauge!
I've never gone camping in -40 degrees, but I am glad it worked out for your marriage.

OP
OP
YayMud!

YayMud!

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
car guru
I ended up getting the Mopar block heater for my Jeep. Along with having heated seats and for the first time- a heated steering wheel, and remote start- this thing is going to be nice this winter.

Jeep Gladiator Anyone install or use a Block or Battery heater in winter on the 3.6L? mopar-engine-block-heater-kit-for-3-6l-jl-gladiator-jt-gladiator-5

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I ended up getting the Mopar block heater for my Jeep. Along with having heated seats and for the first time- a heated steering wheel, and remote start- this thing is going to be nice this winter.

Jeep Gladiator Anyone install or use a Block or Battery heater in winter on the 3.6L? mopar-engine-block-heater-kit-for-3-6l-jl-gladiator-jt-gladiator-5
Please let us know when it is installed, and the Mopar part number for the kit used. I would like to know just how difficult the installation is. I would like to install one, but have delayed due to the perceived difficulty.

Sponsored

OP
OP
YayMud!

YayMud!

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
car guru
I already had it installed at my local dealer. It turned out to be easier than we thought as it only took 1-1.5 hours. It should be available from any Jeep dealer. Hopefully, I don't have to use it for a while.

texanjeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport-S Granite Crystal Metallic
Occupation
I.T.
Not living in Texas. But, after our record breaking cold winter, if we have another one like it, I'd sure take a look at it.
Sponsored