Sponsored

Has Anyone Put a Battery Tender on their Auxiliary Battery?

jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 2019 Cherokee KL 2020 Gladiator JT
Yeah but the IBS monitors the battery state more than just during start-up from what I understand. But if the IBS is only really connected directly to the main start battery, with no other ground underneath that IBS but before the battery post, how does it accurately assess the Aux battery state?
It does not (cannot) accurately assess the aux battery state, that was the point of my post. And it can only read the voltage of the aux battery when the batteries are seperated, which is during the cold start test and an ESS event.
Sponsored

Last edited:

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
Thats what i though…but was pretty sure ai read on another thread that it did.

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
I hook up a trickle charger to my main battery, on the top most connections, so, the IBS is included. This charges both my main battery and aux battery.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I hook up a trickle charger to my main battery, on the top most connections, so, the IBS is included. This charges both my main battery and aux battery.
Perfect.

Freebooter

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mojave, 2020 124 Spider Abarth
Occupation
Almost Retired
Great info but a couple of questions: I have a 2020 and would turn off the ESS almost every time I started the engine. About 6 months ago, 28k miles, the ESS just stop coming on and I do not need to push any buttons. Truck starts up perfectly even after several days of temps around 15 F.

1. Does the truck "learn" I do not want the ESS working and disables it by itself? (that would be nice)
or
2. Is one battery (aux) low enough to not activate ESS but the starting battery is good? (change batteries)

Like the solar charger idea. We do some remote beach camping.

Sponsored

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800
Great info but a couple of questions: I have a 2020 and would turn off the ESS almost every time I started the engine. About 6 months ago, 28k miles, the ESS just stop coming on and I do not need to push any buttons. Truck starts up perfectly even after several days of temps around 15 F.

1. Does the truck "learn" I do not want the ESS working and disables it by itself? (that would be nice)
or
2. Is one battery (aux) low enough to not activate ESS but the starting battery is good? (change batteries)

No to #1.

#2 could be a variety of issues, battery state being one. There are a ton more, though, and your center gauge display should give you more information on what's going on.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase

or

1. NO WAY. It's set so that it must come on every start. That's the rules (unless otherwise bypassed by some electronic add-on device)
2. The batteries will start the truck fine, but be way to low for ESS to work. And if that's the case, you aren't doing the batteries any favors.

With a 2020 model I'd expect you are reaching the time where the batteries may be low on life.
These things start so easily people assume that since it starts fine the batteries are up fine. The batteries can be under 50% charge, mostly "dead" as far as voltage but still start the truck.

AGM batteries typically live around 3 years - some less, some more.
A lot depends on how often you drive it and how LONG or far you drive it. Infrequent drives or a lot of short drives are a problem.

You can look at the cluster display - right in front of your face, where the speedometer is - and move the steering wheel up/down and left/right buttons to see the voltage of the truck - do it while it's running and see the system voltage run running. Press the big start button without putting foot on the brake and it's like turning a key to ACC or run without starting it. Two presses without touching the brake pedal gets it into run mode and you can see a lot of things.
Check your voltage without it running either that way or with a volt meter on the battery terminals under the hood.
My bet - low batteries, batteries getting old, not fully charged, is where the problem is.

Cold temps mean batteries take longer to charge - so infrequent or short drives are worse in the cold weather.

Freebooter

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mojave, 2020 124 Spider Abarth
Occupation
Almost Retired
Thanks men.............time for new batteries!
Sponsored