Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
These are all some awesome ideas. I really like the mag mount idea and the trailer pin idea. Mostly because they are clean. The trailer pin idea is great because it takes advantage of existing wiring and doesnt require any additional wires under a already busy hood. And it would work with multiple charger types if chargers stopped working over time. But it would require a long cable to be ran into the house since the charger probably wouldnt be outside in the snow/rain. I will have to think about the best option. Currently I am thinking the trailer pin idea just because it will be the easiest and quickest. The SAE plug idea is honestly my favorite so far just because it would be easy to splice into the trailer wire and it would be its own dedicated plug-in. Thinking into the future this would also allow me to keep the trailer pin available in the event I want to keep the trailer hooked up overnight for an early morning the next day.

so I was thinking that a SAE plug could be routed into the drivers side bed from the bed rear tie down hole and then drill a small hole in the canopy side to serve as a similar plug-in to the above picture I posted.

@ShadowsPapa I think you mentioned the trailer plug wire is a 10ga??

I just ordered the NOCO genius 5 to permanently mount under the hood. is 5A too big or should I be using the 2A one?
I was looking at this too but found a few reviews especially from ourCanadian neighbors that say the manufacturer spec is to not use the charger below -22. Something to consider depending on your location. Pretty easy for me to see those temps in the winter. Just a heads up
Sponsored

HankB

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport, Porsche Panamera 4S
Occupation
Retired
I’ve used the Ctek battery maintainers on my Porsches over the years. Most of them have been toys so they were all low mileage with a lot of sitting between outings. Cteks have a wide variety of attachments from 12v lighter plug to fused permanent battery terminal attachments.

dapipp

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Jeep Wrangler X (TJ), 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (LJ), 2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (JL)
I’ve used the Ctek battery maintainers on my Porsches over the years. Most of them have been toys so they were all low mileage with a lot of sitting between outings. Cteks have a wide variety of attachments from 12v lighter plug to fused permanent battery terminal attachments.
I have always considered CTEK battery charger’s the best but based on their cost so does CTEK.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I've got a few "Battery Tender's" and find the SAE plugs effective, bought probably 20 of the different styles on Amazon and used from trolling motor batteries, Jeeps, 4wheelers and in bed on one of AUX switches where the factory AC inverter would have been. A plus is Amazon has SAE plug wires extensions cords that come with polarity adapters too. My last order was for 2 of them so I can run it to my Wrangler to keep it charged.
Now my opinion on the CTEK battery maintaner isn't very good, I've bought 1 it and replacement killed 3 Optima batteries with them.... :mad: I had read how great they are then to have them kill my blue top Optima and a red top Optima's. First one I got replaced thinking it was defective then #2 did it again. FYI: the small Optima battery charger has been a great one, with it I've reconditioned a few batteries successfully.

Sponsored

OP
OP
chorky

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
I've got a few "Battery Tender's" and find the SAE plugs effective, bought probably 20 of the different styles on Amazon and used from trolling motor batteries, Jeeps, 4wheelers and in bed on one of AUX switches where the factory AC inverter would have been. A plus is Amazon has SAE plug wires extensions cords that come with polarity adapters too. My last order was for 2 of them so I can run it to my Wrangler to keep it charged.
Now my opinion on the CTEK battery maintaner isn't very good, I've bought 1 it and replacement killed 3 Optima batteries with them.... :mad: I had read how great they are then to have them kill my blue top Optima and a red top Optima's. First one I got replaced thinking it was defective then #2 did it again. FYI: the small Optima battery charger has been a great one, with it I've reconditioned a few batteries successfully.
Yeah I think the SAE is the way I will go also. My only concern is how well the plugs that are on amazon will stay closed to prevent water and dust into it. This route will allow me to use my existing chargers and not have to get a new one.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah I think the SAE is the way I will go also. My only concern is how well the plugs that are on amazon will stay closed to prevent water and dust into it. This route will allow me to use my existing chargers and not have to get a new one.
I've not had any problems with them yet. I got many in use. From battery tender to running a diesel fuel heater. The Amazon ones that I have got are 12 GA wire. Between SAE and Anderson connector are my go to methods. I have a power cord for fridge freezer on SAE plug or Anderson connector beside the 12v power plugs. The former are dependable not a cigar lighter plug. Now a SAE plug has more of a break away than anything besides a magnet mount depending on setup.
I've got a couple that plug into trailer 7 plug i wired up decades ago.
Jeep Gladiator Permanent mount battery tender 20221023_101024
Jeep Gladiator Permanent mount battery tender 20221023_100951
Jeep Gladiator Permanent mount battery tender 20221023_101041
Jeep Gladiator Permanent mount battery tender 20221023_101059

OP
OP
chorky

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
I've not had any problems with them yet. I got many in use. From battery tender to running a diesel fuel heater. The Amazon ones that I have got are 12 GA wire. Between SAE and Anderson connector are my go to methods. I have a power cord for fridge freezer on SAE plug or Anderson connector beside the 12v power plugs. The former are dependable not a cigar lighter plug. Now a SAE plug has more of a break away than anything besides a magnet mount depending on setup.
I've got a couple that plug into trailer 7 plug i wired up decades ago.
Yeah they do seem to be one of the better quick connect options available. I am looking at some that are 10ga just because it's a 23'ish foot wire run from the back of the bed to the battery up front.

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah they do seem to be one of the better quick connect options available. I am looking at some that are 10ga just because it's a 23'ish foot wire run from the back of the bed to the battery up front.
I've used 2 of the ext. cables together hooking to my LJ battery or 4wheelers over 20 ft distance. :like: but I do understand.

OP
OP
chorky

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
Hmm. I dont know that i really want to drill through the body but this looks to be a cool Location. Less wire run also. Thoughts?

Jeep Gladiator Permanent mount battery tender 0DBDC3EE-58A4-488E-820D-3AACE6DC29E8

After all the other side is taken by the antenna so it would sorta match being functional and all

Sponsored

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Hmm. I dont know that i really want to drill through the body but this looks to be a cool Location. Less wire run also. Thoughts?

Jeep Gladiator Permanent mount battery tender 0DBDC3EE-58A4-488E-820D-3AACE6DC29E8

After all the other side is taken by the antenna so it would sorta match being functional and all
Or a install in plastic cowling by windshield wiper with a SAE mount plug. The lower left in picture. Or could be in fender liner too.???
Jeep Gladiator Permanent mount battery tender 20221029_220339

Especially good if you might have "curious George's" sticking something in it. 🤔

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Wow, you do like overkill on the wire gauges LOL

OP
OP
chorky

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
Wow, you do like overkill on the wire gauges LOL
I have a lot of it. No need to buy more. But my charger also can push up to 30 amps. Its not a 5a trickle charger. But I could also use this for input of a couple solar panels with an integrated charge controller as well. so dual purpose possibly.

Or a install in plastic cowling by windshield wiper with a SAE mount plug. The lower left in picture. Or could be in fender liner too.???
Jeep Gladiator Permanent mount battery tender 20221029_220339

Especially good if you might have "curious George's" sticking something in it. 🤔
Yeah not a bad idea. Plastic is easier to replace/repair. But...I get a lot of snow. It would be nice to have it on something that is more on the vertical pane to not get a bunch of snow on top of it. I thought about somewhere on the fender as well.

Rob_R

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JTR, 88 YJ, 05 Ram, SPF Cobra, 22 Mach 1
Occupation
Retired
Thanks to you guys for all of the great ideas on simplifying a permanent battery tender hook up on the Gladiator. I normally use a 5 Amp CTEK charger/maintainer with a charging harness I installed (also before the IBS) under the hood on my '22 Mustang. I was planning on installing the permanent wiring harness on the Gladiator also, so it is just plug and play after lifting the hood.

I was intrigued by suggestion in this thread of utilizing the 7 pole trailer harness plug for battery maintenance. I tested the Gladiator 7 pole plug with my multimeter and sure enough, pins 1 and 4 are live on the Gladiator. The plug cover even has the pin connection legend molded into it.
Jeep Gladiator Permanent mount battery tender IMG_2854

While I was at it, I checked the 7 pole plug on my '05 Ram Cummins and it is the same with pins 1 and 4 being live.

So I purchased a few items for the CTEK MXS 5.0 charger/maintainer and it turned out to be a simple way to hook up a maintainer.

Here is the CTEK 12V cigarette lighter adapter.
Jeep Gladiator Permanent mount battery tender IMG_2865

This is the 7 pin to cigarette ligher adapter. Purchased here:
Amazon.com: POLLAK 11-896 7-Way Power Outlet Adapter : Electronics
Jeep Gladiator Permanent mount battery tender IMG_2866

Jeep Gladiator Permanent mount battery tender IMG_2867

The charger - A CTEK MXS 5.0. This model is sold by Dodge, GM, and Ford as recommended for their muscle cars. The red/black wire is a CTEK extension for the charging cable.
Jeep Gladiator Permanent mount battery tender IMG_2855

Everything hooked up
Jeep Gladiator Permanent mount battery tender IMG_2863

Jeep Gladiator Permanent mount battery tender IMG_2860

I also put a Post-It note on the steering wheel to disconnect the charger in case I forget....
Jeep Gladiator Permanent mount battery tender IMG_2864

The setup works like a charm! Thanks again for the suggestions on using this method.
Sponsored