Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
i suppose this could also work
6A58438C-EAB9-49C2-9BA7-9E92275E6737.png
You could use that plug if you had one but why? It would encourage someone to plug it into the 4way on the bumper?
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, that's even better. Allows you to use your float/trickle charger with the ends it came with at other times.

I do that sort of thing as well - it's one reason I have tubs full of wiring bits and a couple of cases with various terminals and fittings.

And with these in my truck at all times, I can hook almost anything to anything - the one adapts the trailer plug to a 12v, another plugs into a 12v and give you two 12v outlets plus built-in USB charger........
I could run 4 things that plug into 12v outlets at one time if I needed to with my bed mounted 12v outlet, the trailer plug and these adapters, and the 12v outlet in the cab.

Jeep Gladiator Permanent mount battery tender 1666106783005

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
Yes, that's even better. Allows you to use your float/trickle charger with the ends it came with at other times.

I do that sort of thing as well - it's one reason I have tubs full of wiring bits and a couple of cases with various terminals and fittings.

And with these in my truck at all times, I can hook almost anything to anything - the one adapts the trailer plug to a 12v, another plugs into a 12v and give you two 12v outlets plus built-in USB charger........
I could run 4 things that plug into 12v outlets at one time if I needed to with my bed mounted 12v outlet, the trailer plug and these adapters, and the 12v outlet in the cab.

Jeep Gladiator Permanent mount battery tender 1666106783005
Same thing for me.....I have a bag of adapters SAE, Cig lighter, Andersen, etc..... This way I can charge w/ tender, solar, cooler in the bed, HAM radio......

Sponsored

OP
OP
chorky

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
It's hot all the time, and I've used it to power a small compressor (the sort like AMC and GM used for their self-leveling air shocks) and other stuff.

No to the flat 4-way.
The 4 way flat plug only has
ground,
left turn,
right turn
tail
- not power.

Buy a cord end from Amazon.
Wire this onto the charger's battery ends -
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HVS1SY3

You can also get this to turn that trailer plug into a 12v outlet -
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002UC8U7G

That way I can plug any 12v accessory into it.
so pin 4, aux, would be 12+ correct?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
so pin 4, aux, would be 12+ correct?
Yes, looking at the truck's connector 4 is 12v+ and is at about the 1:30 position.
#1 is ground and is 180 degrees from the 12v spot 4 - in other words at the 7:00 position.

Be careful as these are 7 blade -
there's also a 7 "pin" that has round pins and corresponding round holes. (Those must be common in Australia?) and are a bit different.

OP
OP
chorky

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
Yes, looking at the truck's connector 4 is 12v+ and is at about the 1:30 position.
#1 is ground and is 180 degrees from the 12v spot 4 - in other words at the 7:00 position.

Be careful as these are 7 blade -
there's also a 7 "pin" that has round pins and corresponding round holes. (Those must be common in Australia?) and are a bit different.
do you happen to know what wire gauge the jeep is using on the 30a 12v+ wire? I would assume 10. I dont think my battery charger wires will fit in the plug so I wil have to splice them to a smaller gauge wire. I have 6, 8, 10, and 12 available.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
do you happen to know what wire gauge the jeep is using on the 30a 12v+ wire? I would assume 10. I dont think my battery charger wires will fit in the plug so I wil have to splice them to a smaller gauge wire. I have 6, 8, 10, and 12 available.
Holy cow, how big are your battery charger wires? How big is your charger?
6, 8, 10 and 12 are much bigger wires than what your battery charger has unless it's got boost capability.
A battery tender or "minder" or "float charger" won't have leads any bigger than 16 gauge, maybe only 18 gauge.
My 1500mA tender has 18 gauge leads to the battery. (that's 1.5 amps, most tenders are that or smaller)

Even my 20 amp AGM charger doesn't have leads as big as 14 gauge.
You'd be amazed as far as what size wires fit into a trailer plug.....
There's no way in #@$@# that 6, 8, 10 or 12 are smaller wires, and those are a gross over-kill for battery tender wires.

OP
OP
chorky

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
Holy cow, how big are your battery charger wires? How big is your charger?
6, 8, 10 and 12 are much bigger wires than what your battery charger has unless it's got boost capability.
A battery tender or "minder" or "float charger" won't have leads any bigger than 16 gauge, maybe only 18 gauge.
My 1500mA tender has 18 gauge leads to the battery. (that's 1.5 amps, most tenders are that or smaller)

Even my 20 amp AGM charger doesn't have leads as big as 14 gauge.
You'd be amazed as far as what size wires fit into a trailer plug.....
There's no way in #@$@# that 6, 8, 10 or 12 are smaller wires, and those are a gross over-kill for battery tender wires.
I think theyre just oversize. No idea why. Theyre 6 or 4 ga. The charger only pushes 15a max. It must be that company buys in bulk…. kinda weird. I was thinking 10ga. Again because i have a lot of it lying around….. And figured thats what the vehicle side size would be.

Sponsored

Gatorized

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘06 CRV, ‘14 Mazda3, ‘20 JTR (Gator)
Pictures would clarify the issue…

Enduro800

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
I train people
Jeep Gladiator Permanent mount battery tender 1666175637288

This is all I ever use for my ATVs and hooked it up permanently under my mom's hood, she's never had a problem with it yet going on 3 years.

JTR178

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Occupation
5-0
I hooked up a MagCode magnetic connector with a Battery Tender charger. Simple low amperage fuse (5A). Small hole in the plastic cowl and it looks pretty clean and cheap enough to replace if I had to.
Jeep Gladiator Permanent mount battery tender 1666175637288
This is the kind of ingenuity I love to see here.

trilifter7

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands, 2023 JTR
Occupation
Business owner
I just ordered the NOCO genius 5 to permanently mount under the hood. is 5A too big or should I be using the 2A one?

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800
If you like the idea of connecting to the trailer plug leads, but want something easier to break away from (and also use to power devices out on the road), take a look at what I did here. It's a marine 12v outlet thats tapped into the hot wiring for the trailer connector. Works great to maintain a charge, but also works great to power other things if you need to. I've used this socket to power campsite equipment or chargers as well as using it to maintain the battery at home.

I do like the 7-pin to 12v adapters like @ShadowsPapa mentioned, I just don't like how big they are and that they clip in (important if you worry about accidentally driving off without unhooking it). Just the socket instead is pretty clean and will pop right out if you drive away. Bonus points for not having to keep an adapter on-hand.

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/trickle-charger-through-7-pin-connector.62522/

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082D8WKNW

Jeep Gladiator Permanent mount battery tender 1666182098702
Sponsored