Sponsored

Anyone noted the MPG difference between stock tires/wheels combo and 35" and 37" combo?

kelkolb

First Name
Kelley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Max tow (4.10’s), stock over a full tank I was averaging 18.5-20 depending on how much city/highway.

Now running a 285/75-17 (34”) with the Mopar lift, 34 psi front and 32 rear cold. Averaging 16-17 over a full tank. Recalibrated with superchips. I can get higher on a long drive but my commute is a lot of rolling hills so it down shifts a lot.
Sponsored

Jimmy-

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
Can’t give you a before/stock as I only had them on for the ride home from dealership. Running 37s and getting 17-17.5. Combo of city and highway driving. Had it as high as 18.1. That’s on 3.73 gears, and no it’s not a dawg. Still good pep. Do have a pedal commander and also Tazer to dial in tires, along with K and N intake and FlowFx exhaust.

pretty happy with the performance and mileage with the 37s.

AEDD7E76-C06C-409D-A551-D820D2DE6D33.jpeg
I'm running 37's with 3.73 gears as well. Getting 18.8 combined.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
You use the ESS, I wasn't using it but I've been letting it do it's thing and I've probably gained at least a half mpg by doing that. I know sitting idle really kills the MPGs I've noticed.
Yeah unfortunately I rarely spend enough time at a light to make it worthwhile... it's a lot of stop and go but not stopping for more than 5-10 seconds.

d k

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Overall, are you guys seeing better mileage with the auto or 6 speed?

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
I think the AT is going to be king here as it now is in almost every case. 8 speeds means more efficient gear selection and with a significantly reduced top gear, cruise will be a few hundred RPM lower.

As much as I love an MT, the only reason to get one now is personal preference in specific scenarios because a good AT box like the ZF in these trucks is going to be superior in almost every way. Engine braking is about the one thing an MT does better at this point and that's something that can actually be done on some AT boxes with a custom lockup circuit.

Sponsored

d k

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
I just found out the max tow is only available with the AT.

fml

I think the AT is going to be king here as it now is in almost every case. 8 speeds means more efficient gear selection and with a significantly reduced top gear, cruise will be a few hundred RPM lower.

As much as I love an MT, the only reason to get one now is personal preference in specific scenarios because a good AT box like the ZF in these trucks is going to be superior in almost every way. Engine braking is about the one thing an MT does better at this point and that's something that can actually be done on some AT boxes with a custom lockup circuit.

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
I just found out the max tow is only available with the AT.

fml
I've been an MT or die kind of guy for years and I have zero regrets with the AT in this truck. It's an outstanding unit and the shift logic is actually very good.

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I've been an MT or die kind of guy for years and I have zero regrets with the AT in this truck. It's an outstanding unit and the shift logic is actually very good.
Same here, and I regretted not getting one in my JKU but totally don't miss the MT in the JT. I am totally pleased with it and you can still manually shift it if you want

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
Max tow (4.10’s), stock over a full tank I was averaging 18.5-20 depending on how much city/highway.

Now running a 285/75-17 (34”) with the Mopar lift, 34 psi front and 32 rear cold. Averaging 16-17 over a full tank. Recalibrated with superchips. I can get higher on a long drive but my commute is a lot of rolling hills so it down shifts a lot.
same here. 20-22 highway and 18-20 city for stock. 32” Falken mud terrains on steel wheels, 18-19mpg average. 35 falkens 16-17mpg
Similar hilly terrain

oh and I have a mopar steel bumper and winch. My gvw is aroud 5600lb without the family riding with me (I keep gear in the truck because I never want to pass up a chance to spontaneously wheel or need it for recovery in daily driving and not have it)

Last edited:

LiftedrubiconJT

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 rubicon gladiator
I have no idea how you guys are getting those mpg. Bought my rubicon form factory already with mopar lift and 35s. Only seeing 14 mpg

Sponsored

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
I have no idea how you guys are getting those mpg. Bought my rubicon form factory already with mopar lift and 35s. Only seeing 14 mpg
That's been the trend I've saw with the Rubicon and non Max tows getting less MPGs than the Max Tows and I have no idea how to explain it how. I'm still averaging 18.7 in my Max tow around town and 20 on the hwy on 35's with 2.5" of lift, Rugged Ridge Spartan Full width front bumper and Badlands Apex 12000lb winch installed

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
That's been the trend I've saw with the Rubicon and non Max tows getting less MPGs than the Max Tows and I have no idea how to explain it how. I'm still averaging 18.7 in my Max tow around town and 20 on the hwy on 35's with 2.5" of lift, Rugged Ridge Spartan Full width front bumper and Badlands Apex 12000lb winch installed
what kind of terrain? On flat sections I can get that (no lift though)

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
what kind of terrain? On flat sections I can get that (no lift though)
Border of Foothills and Piedmont area of North Carolina. I'm a Hour and a Half from the Smokey Mountains, so it's rolling hills.

Jimmy-

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
I'm running 37's with a 3" lift, 3.73 gears and getting almost 19 mpg combined (including hauling a few loads of topsoil). I think it has a lot to do with the weight of the tires/wheels people select.

Jeep Gladiator Anyone noted the MPG difference between stock tires/wheels combo and 35" and 37" combo? A910277D-B70B-4029-A015-5D98635570DC_1_201_a
Sponsored