Sponsored

Anything I should bring on our 1st "Trip"?

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I concur.

(Prestone Bugwash) best wiper fluid ever. IMHO
Hmm. I'm a huge fan of RainX washer fluid. I'll have to give it a try. Though I do love that the RainX stuff makes water bead, just like you actually applied RainX to your windshield.
Sponsored

ShrimpHappens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Sport S
We're going to drive just about the entire length of the Natchez Trace to break her in.
In case you haven't been on the Trace before:
  • Posted speed limit is 50mph, but you're fine to set the cruise at 55. Lots people do about 60, but I'm not brave enough to push it that much.
  • A lot of it is pretty isolated. Exit signs may have a city name on them, but the city might not be all that close. Where it crosses US-72 near me in Northwest Alabama, there's a gas station only a mile off, but it's a 20-something minute drive for a real meal. Of course where it goes through Tupelo and Jackson this isn't an issue.
  • There are a few sites with bathrooms on the Trace itself, and all the ones I've been to have been decently clean.

OP
OP
MonkeySkunks

MonkeySkunks

First Name
Nik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2016 Odyssey
In case you haven't been on the Trace before:
  • Posted speed limit is 50mph, but you're fine to set the cruise at 55. Lots people do about 60, but I'm not brave enough to push it that much.
  • A lot of it is pretty isolated. Exit signs may have a city name on them, but the city might not be all that close. Where it crosses US-72 near me in Northwest Alabama, there's a gas station only a mile off, but it's a 20-something minute drive for a real meal. Of course where it goes through Tupelo and Jackson this isn't an issue.
  • There are a few sites with bathrooms on the Trace itself, and all the ones I've been to have been decently clean.
Great info. This will be our 1st time on it. I'm going to try to break it in per the manual so 50-55 will be my top speed with some erratic acceleration in there (main reason for taking the trace). We are going to stay in Tupelo so should have plenty of gas to make it there and will grab meals there as well. We'll be at 400 miles or so by Jackson so it's Interstate from there on.

Luckily, we're all male so the world is our bathroom. I will pack some TP though, I wonder if the airline allows you to carry-on poop shovels.

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
Pepperoni sticks, wheat thins, and cheeze whiz.

KX L

First Name
KX
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CVO Street Glide; 2022 JT Mojave with 6MT
Occupation
Retired
I learned over 40 years of traveling the world that the number one item you bring on a trip is a credit card.

No doubt 98% of you on this forum have and will bring a credit card on any trip.

Other than physical training locally I don't leave the house without one. Just my weirdness I guess....

Sponsored

Jocww

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
thewongwindingroad.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
73 Fj40 lq9 on 38s 2021 JTRD Gecko Green on 37s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Flight Instructor
I learned over 40 years of traveling the world that the number one item you bring on a trip is a credit card.

No doubt 98% of you on this forum have and will bring a credit card on any trip.

Other than physical training locally I don't leave the house without one. Just my weirdness I guess....
i also bring cash... and a pistol. you can maybe try and send it to the dealership in 2 pieces upper and lower?? I dunno how that works. 2 clevis and a strap or 2 if you decide to go wheeling? Should be able to carry that on. sunglasses hat or 2. baby wipes.

OP
OP
MonkeySkunks

MonkeySkunks

First Name
Nik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2016 Odyssey
i also bring cash... and a pistol. you can maybe try and send it to the dealership in 2 pieces upper and lower?? I dunno how that works. 2 clevis and a strap or 2 if you decide to go wheeling? Should be able to carry that on. sunglasses hat or 2. baby wipes.
Shipping a pistol to the dealership is an interesting concept. I don't carry around home so I'm not going to worry about it on the trip. I wonder if you could ship it to yourself at a ups store or something for hold. Better yet, excuse to buy a new one.

"Wheeling" probably won't happen but if it does it'll be limited to a few minutes on a gravel road or fire trail.

AmishMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 56 Coronet, 65 Dune Buggy,
Occupation
Whipping boy
So looks like the list so far-
1.) money, both cash and credit card
2.) protection from sun and wind
3.) snacks
4.) load securement options
5.) cleaner
6.) time
7.) trash bags

AmishMike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 56 Coronet, 65 Dune Buggy,
Occupation
Whipping boy
@Undecided great point about ear plugs! When I was driving truck, I always had a plug in my left (window) ear. If I had run out or forgotten, a balled up piece of napkin etc. worked.

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
i also bring cash... and a pistol. you can maybe try and send it to the dealership in 2 pieces upper and lower?? I dunno how that works.
Quite illegal. You can only ship to and from an FFL. You can't even ship a firearm to your 2nd home (if you're lucky enough to have one... or three).

Most airlines will allow you to check it in a locked box thru the "special package" area. Like when you take your skis or snowboard.

Sponsored

KX L

First Name
KX
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CVO Street Glide; 2022 JT Mojave with 6MT
Occupation
Retired
Check yes on the cash. For me it's a definite NO on a pistol.

After I fully retired from the Marine Corps in '15 I started on my quest to ride the Harley to every state and then climb to the highest point in the state. In 2016 I went on a 8,000 mile trip on my Harley---only 300 miles of which were on an Interstate. Hell I did more than 300 miles on gravel because of my quest.

Everyone that knows me was completely shocked that I decided I wasn't going to carry. But the first rule in life is to know yourself.

I F&^%ing hate the countless clueless assholes who drive 4-5,000 pound battering rams without knowing the rules of the road and/or are so selfish that they constantly are driving and using their phone/eating/putting on makeup/etc etc. Distracted driving causes over 3,000 deaths every year and is responsible for 25% of all accidents. So I always give these pricks a dirty look.

I don't put up with pricks that just like to be mean to others and am willing to get involved to stop it. I know how likely it is to raise the stakes by showing a firearm. I know how likely it is to miss your target in a gunfight and thus risk hurting a complete innocent literally a half mile or more away.

So it was a no brainer decision for me not to carry---with my personality having a weapon other than my knife would make me more bold and thus provide unneeded risk to others and to myself.

Before you ask, I wasn't the least bit concerned about my ability to conceal the weapon on my bike while keeping it very accessible---the police aren't looking for trouble from older white guys who don't get drunk on expensive Harley's. And if it was found, I do have a concealed carry and I was willing to plead ignorance in states like CA---"but officer I'm just in transit through the state." Finally, I learned a long time ago that if you decide to do something wrong then at that very second you have decided to accept the consequences if caught.

So the point of this long [and unasked for :blush:] response is to think very carefully before carrying a weapon across state lines. As has been pointed out, never try to mail a weapon. Quite easy to fly with one if you follow the procedures----but that is something I would never do because I don't want to be on ANY government list.

jsalbre

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Sarge Mojave, ‘21 VW Tiguan SEL-P RLine
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Security Engineer, First Sergeant
Check yes on the cash. For me it's a definite NO on a pistol.

After I fully retired from the Marine Corps in '15 <--snip--> I don't want to be on ANY government list.
Brother, you were a Marine, you're on lots of government lists!

Semper Fi.

(USAF, 2001-They'll make me go eventually)

OP
OP
MonkeySkunks

MonkeySkunks

First Name
Nik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR, 2016 Odyssey
Made the trip, didn't take any advice and just rolled with it. I fully intended to take all the advice but got lazy and/or ran out of time. The one thing I got worried about was running out of wiper fluid. Not sure how big the reservoir is but it's probably empty now.

My first flight didn't have enough fuel so we stopped for gas... Guess you can't prep for everything.

It rained the whole trip so no roof off action but I did have a hat.

rr11

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT 2005 TJ 2003 F250
Occupation
Retired
On the plus side the Trace is a nice trip even when it rains. On a better note you were in your JT, my last trace trip I was on my Harley and it rained the whole trip. The older I get the more I enjoy my comfort.

HouseOfWolves

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Engineer
✌

Beef Jerky -- lots of beef jerky.

Cheap Styrofoam cooler filled with sodas for the boys, waters for both, and energy drinks for me.
Sponsored