Sponsored

ARB vs VIAIR

just_another_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
My current truck (which I am replacing with a gladiator) has a VIAIR 444C dual compressor with 2gal tank that has worked very well, but I am looking at the ARB twin setup as well since I'll be starting over. Does anyone have a convincing argument to go with one brand vs the other? The ARB looks to be more compact with a higher cfm, but at a premium cost. Looking to air up 33's and run air lockers with it.
Sponsored

Mtpisgah

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTM, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Engineer
I have been wondering the same thing. I plan to run 35s and will not be wheeling every weekend so am not overly concerned about the 5-10 min difference to air up. Cost difference is pretty big. If the ARB reliability is really that much better then I would spend the money on it.

Nitroexpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, '82 Jeep CJ-8,
I've had better luck with ARB than Viair. I have a twin Viair setup on one truck that has worked well. Mostly it's been used for airbags, so it doesn't get used very hard. I also had a portable Viair with alligator clips to the battery. It didn't last very long and came with what I consider to be inferior components (power cable, filter housing, air line and air chuck). I also have an ARB Single on a Jeep CJ and an ARB dual on my JT. Both have been flawless and appear to be much heavier duty in all ways.

Basically, It boils down to "Made in China" vs. "Made in Australia".

OP
OP

just_another_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
I'm going through the same decision process. In addition to airing up tires, I plan to run an air horn. Can the arb duel be run to a tank and power the horns too?
Any compressor that can fill tires can fill a tank, it won't know the difference

Sponsored

Longleaf

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon LE, 2018 Desert Sled
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
I've got the Viair portable- haven't had any issues with it. But my vote would be the ARB simply for the larger range in aftermarket support. Under hood/ bed/ under seat/ frame rail, etc- mounting brackets are much easier to find for the ARB.

Mouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
ARB has been rock solid in my use (own 2 single compressors and one dual setup). A friend had long-term issues with reliability of his Viair compressor. The construction is top notch with ARB and when I've used customer service, I've had no better response.

Forum Crawler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Occupation
Working for the man every night and day
ARB has been rock solid in my use (own 2 single compressors and one dual setup). A friend had long-term issues with reliability of his Viair compressor. The construction is top notch with ARB and when I've used customer service, I've had no better response.
x2

CerOf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD
I think I’ve only heard of 1 ARB failure.

ARB does fetch a premium, but it’s not just the name you are paying for.

I went on an “overlanding “ trip 20 years ago. Drove from TX to Seattle and met upwith several manufactures/retailers and headed to Canada for 100+ miles in the dirt. Folks like Inland Rovers, Hawk Suzuki, Manafre, AEV, Slee Offroad and a few others were in the group.

Most all had ARB air compressors.
If they had aftermarket lockers, they were ARB.

these folks pretty much had a choice as to what they wanted to run, and chose ARB.

In all fairness, it was a trip organized by ARB; however, there was no requirement for what you used for an air compressor or lockers. You did not get “free” stuff. Had to buy your own. Only thing free was the concluding dinner and a handful of quarters given to me by Buddy at the car wash. :):)

On a side note, out of 20 vehicles, all but 1 ran a warn winch. (Warn was not a sponsor)

TomH

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
IT
I had a Viair that lasted through three vehicles. Used it a lot. I let it go with the last vehicle and I just bought a new one for the Gladiator. The Viair is a good option. I have no experience with the ARB personally.

Sponsored

Kindafearless

First Name
Elise
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rublicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Enginerd
I think it comes down to how “enginerdy” you want to get. ARB is a solid compressor, is well known, and has a huge aftermarket in the off-road world. As such, there are lots of easy commercial solutions. Viair is also big, but not as many off-road vendors tailoring to them.

I personally like tinkering and none of the ARB stuff really matched what I wanted. Been running the dual Viair compressors and I love them. They fill tires fast and I’ve had plenty of options to go crazy mounting them.

They are also still running after having been coated in mud, dirt, rain, snow, ice, salt, and sand for the last year. So buyers choice, both good products. Plan your build and placement, then pick the compressor that works with it :)

Sikjeep2

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I have had great luck with Viair. I had 2 mounted upside down under a truck for 7 years filling 14 gallons of air with no issues. Actually won a contest on another forum for having the most abused compressors, and won 2 new ones.

Rockabillyroy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
had a viair 450p automatic for 7 years for filling up 35s. 100% duty cycle. never got hot. never failed.
went with an arb twin this time because I wanted the fastest fill I could get in compact form without having to carry a CO2 tank.
quality and reliability wise, I'd be hard pressed to find a difference

OP
OP

just_another_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
My viair compressors worked great and I have no complaints, but I ended up ordering the ARB twin based mostly on form factor. However, they seem to be universally backordered with no eta from ARB

DocMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S, 2001 Audi TT Roadster, 1930 Model A Hot Rod, 1973 VW Square Back
Occupation
Education
I was thinking the dual arb.... Then hoping to be able to inflate tires and run a locker off the same compressor.
Sponsored