Sponsored

Are the days of Gladiators holding their values gone?

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Newbie here hoping to find a Gladiator and have been looking at new and used and it seems prices are all over the place. I'm seeing some of those big discounts for new but when I contact the dealer you find that you have to be military, first responder, a teacher and an astronaut to qualify. Plus the prices don't include freight.
They won't. Try some of the site sponsors for better rates.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Market correction like @ShadowsPapa stated, combined with "incentives" to get you on the lot. If you read the qualifiers, there are numerous disclaimers regarding " qualified customers" , certain types of financing etc which most people won't qualify for. The $10K is made up of numerous items.

MSRP$41,070
Mayse Discount 1
- $3,000
Sale Price $38,070
Bonus Trade Rebate 2
- $2,000
2023 Jeep Denver BC Federal State Regional Bonus Cash DECPS 3
- $3,000
2023 Jeep Denver BC Bonus Cash DECPA 4

Bottom line, few people will be able to purchase any of these vehicles for $10K under MSRP.
I saved 3K on my 2022 because I financed through Chrysler Capitol (or is it Capital?) So you had to accept their rates and terms to get that "incentive".
You are right in that the prices you see on the internet are "get you in the store" prices - you seldom actually drive away paying that.

Further, they often make up for discounts by giving you less for your trade. And when that happens, you also, at least in some states like Iowa, pay MORE in taxes because you are taxed on the difference between trade value and cost of the new vehicle. So the more difference there is, the more taxes you pay, negating some of those discounts.
They aren't stupid. There's a lot of research that goes into those numbers.

Last summer I could get really great pricing on a new JT, but the trade numbers from other dealers sucked and the discount dealers didn't even want my trade.
Even selling on the internet to those "we pay top dollars for your vehicle" sites- what jokes - wouldn't have been great.
When all was said and done, I was better off dealing with the local dealer who is normally an MSRP only dealership. He beat 3 of the 4 internet "bids" I got, guaranteed the price for my trade-in for as long as it took to get my new one (up to xx miles/month to make sure I didn't go back with 80,000 miles on my trade when they looked at it with under 27,000 miles).

Anyway, all of this is quite simple -
The last two years used vehicle in general have been grossly over-priced. Jeep people loved it and believed it was due to it being a Jeep. Uh, not really..............
Now we are in correction mode where used car prices will get back to where they should be and it's freaking people out because instead of a nice slow drop in value, we had a jump up, now a ski slope downward. In the end, however, the price will end up where it should have been if things had been normal.
Things that go through gross-over-valuation periods end up in correction territory eventually - some see it as a crash, but it's really just a rapid drop to where it should have been to begin with.

Sandevino

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I went and priced a JLRD today and all was going great until they realized there was a stop sale on diesel wranglers and gladiators.

JW Jeep

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator
Occupation
Retired
What a lot of Buyers don’t understand is the dealers make more if not not as much off financing kick backs then they do on the vehicle. we just went through this with wife’s new SUV. We couldn’t come together on price. We wanted to pay cash plus our trade in. Wasn’t happening till we agreed to finance and pay 90 % of loan on first payment. Then hold the last 10 % for 6 months so they wouldn’t get penalized. This gave us another $1500.00 on our trade in and was their kick back from the bank. I worked in Dealerships for over 30 plus years and I’ve seen it all believe me. The dealers also make a lot of money on up selling you stuff you don’t need.

Sponsored

ScoGlad21

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Ecodiesel
I have a factory loaded and modestly built JTRD for sale currently. It's difficult to figure out how to price it, for sure. You can get all kinds of data on listings but it's difficult to get good comp data on sales. KBB, Carfax, etc don't seem to deal with "builds" very well and you never know how the sales comps were factory optioned. Dealers are always more than happy to gross up the sales price of a built vehicle but they bitch and moan about the build at trade-in valuation time.

I realize a guy isn't going to capture full retail value of the build but there is some value in quality parts like a Warn Xeon 10s winch, Metalcloak 3.5" Gamechanger, 37 KM3's with lots of life and full belly skids (sorry, you'll have to get your own angry bird grill :) ).

I took into consideration trade-in value (low hassle factor), private party value (high exposure to scammers) and created a base price that I thought was reasonable. I then added modest value on the build. Mine is diesel so I did gross up slightly for that. Despite an inresolved recall that's affected 1% of the diesels, (I've not had an issue with mine), it's still the only way to go in my mind. The crawling, towing, hole-shotting torque is amazing and I've never considered even for one second re-gearing it.

PM me If anyone is interested in knowing more details about my JTRD (21,200 miles) or would like to discuss pricing. I'm reasonable and willing to listen to others' logic but not going to give it away. I love this jeep but plan to go back to a full-size diesel pickup as my daily and get a less expensive Jeep as my third vehicle.

Jeep Gladiator Are the days of Gladiators holding their values gone? Glad 17 04.23

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
With some exceptions, "builds" don't necessarily sell well. Many want to do their own and do it their way with parts they want. Custom builds are for those who would rather buy it ready to go, don't do their own work, and would likely never really "use" any of that stuff. It's just a list to them.
Dealers I talked with didn't want the mods - they all said "remove it". One flat out told me their customers want a blank slate. Only one balked a tiny bit about me removing stuff - and oddly, it was the mud flaps and bug deflector they seemed to be concerned about most. Odd.

It's a matter of pride to the seller, but that's really it because it's not really "value added" for most buyers.
That's why your online resources don't address "builds". What you have is likely loved by you and a few others, but don't expect all potential buyers to value your pride.
I won't buy anything 'turn key" or already "built" as I prefer my own parts, my own way.
You are taking over half of potential buyers out of the equation.

JimT66

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mohave
Occupation
Self employed
This dealer is very close to my home. I can testify that you will not qualify for all those discounts. I bought mine at a different dealership.

JTDay

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sport S
Occupation
EHS
I bought my 22' Sport S for 40,600 (ordered it from a forum dealer) and as of today, Carvana wants to offer me 38,200 for it with 20k miles on it. I bought my 5G Ranger for just over 32 and the same dealer gave me 35 for it in January 22. I love how these trucks will hold value.

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
Newbie here hoping to find a Gladiator and have been looking at new and used and it seems prices are all over the place. I'm seeing some of those big discounts for new but when I contact the dealer you find that you have to be military, first responder, a teacher and an astronaut to qualify. Plus the prices don't include freight.
Contact @Travis@TriCityJeep. Our family have ordered 2 Gladiators through him. Straight forward and easy to deal with and their just over the border in NC.

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/sold-order-in-stock-specials.66782/

Sponsored

Leah@TriCityJeep

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Leah
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.14jeep.com
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
New Order Manager

CokreeateJT

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting Ray Gray JTR
Just sold my 2020 jtr about 2 months ago with about 44k miles. Dealer gave me $45k has 37 and suspension done. Will see what 2024 has going for the jtr.

STLMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR, 20 JLU, 900whp C6
I'm currently torn on keeping my JTR or getting myself something more comfy that is better for road trips and such. I'm looking at 2023 Grand Cherokee's.
My JTR is a 2022, 20k miles. 37's with 20 KMC XD wheels and a 3.5" lift, it is immaculate! You can can eat off any surface in the engine bay, interior or bed. It's "like new". I took my 20 JT off road but this one I haven't. Wife has a Wrangler so if I need a fix, I can hop in hers.

Anyway, local dealer has a Grand Cherokee that I'm interested in. Took the JTR in for appraisal....40k and they wouldn't budge. However, told me they do really well with lifted and bigger tire jeeps. Low balling SOB's

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
Why not sell it yourself? I haven’t traded in a vehicle in 30 years.
Sponsored