Sponsored

Auto-dimming rear view mirror: anyone else find them ineffective?

Jason Oliver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Mohave, '18 Jeep Renegade Trail Hawk
Occupation
Approaching Retirement
Currently, I have a JL Wrangler Sport with a manual day/night mirror - and I love it! My last few vehicles have all had worthless auto-dimming rear view mirrors. Maybe I am just very sensitive to bright lights behind me at night, but I have always found the manual day/night mirrors very effective.

I want to purchase a new Gladiator in the next few months, and I like the navigation radio. However, it seems the only way you get it is with an auto dimming rear view mirror.

I see two options: 1) get the 7 inch radio from the factory, and then order the 8.4 from Mopar parts or somewhere and replace it myself, or 2) get the 8.4 and try to replace the mirror with a manual one that I buy separately.

Has anyone tried this or know of any other options that would work well?

Thanks!
Sponsored

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
You are going to be money ahead swapping in a manual mirror after the fact than upgrading to a 8.4 radio.

gerky18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
I have looked at changing out my mirror. Actually going the opposite of you, from a manual to the auto-dimming. Anyway, the manual is only $20 give or take. As the previous post said, you would be well ahead to just switch the mirrors versus the radio.

OP
OP
Jason Oliver

Jason Oliver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Approaching Retirement
You are going to be money ahead swapping in a manual mirror after the fact than upgrading to a 8.4 radio.
I have looked at changing out my mirror. Actually going the opposite of you, from a manual to the auto-dimming. Anyway, the manual is only $20 give or take. As the previous post said, you would be well ahead to just switch the mirrors versus the radio.
Yeah, I am leaning toward that. Thanks to both of you.

ShotCaller

First Name
vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
self employed
Yea I don't find it works that great either. I sometimes just adjust the mirror so I cant see the lights at all until the guy behind me passes or turns....then I set it back to normal.

Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator High Altitude - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Currently, I have a JL Wrangler Sport with a manual day/night mirror - and I love it! My last few vehicles have all had worthless auto-dimming rear view mirrors. Maybe I am just very sensitive to bright lights behind me at night, but I have always found the manual day/night mirrors very effective.

I want to purchase a new Gladiator in the next few months, and I like the navigation radio. However, it seems the only way you get it is with an auto dimming rear view mirror.

I see two options: 1) get the 7 inch radio from the factory, and then order the 8.4 from Mopar parts or somewhere and replace it myself, or 2) get the 8.4 and try to replace the mirror with a manual one that I buy separately.

Has anyone tried this or know of any other options that would work well?

Thanks!
The auto-dimming mirror in my Overland works quite well. Drive it and see how it works for you. If you don't like it, then see about swapping to a manual mirror.

OP
OP
Jason Oliver

Jason Oliver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Approaching Retirement
The auto-dimming mirror in my Overland works quite well. Drive it and see how it works for you. If you don't like it, then see about swapping to a manual mirror.
I lack any confidence the this vehicle's auto-dimming is any better others, but I will give it a chance before deciding to replace it.
Yea I don't find it works that great either. I sometimes just adjust the mirror so I cant see the lights at all until the guy behind me passes or turns....then I set it back to normal.
I've done the "move the mirror" when I had the auto-dimming mirror, but I don't like not seeing out the back.

Thank you both for the replies.

fun2drum

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
It's refreshing to go back to manual dimming mirrors on my Gladiator. I don't miss auto dimming at all.

Something else I don't miss? NAV. My advice is have an open mind and don't worry so much about not having an integrated Navigation.

My truck's 7" screen displays WAZE from my iPhone. WAZE is way more useful to me and more up to date than any car-maker's NAV has ever been. It automatically senses traffic jams and changes the route accordingly. It tells me about debris in the road, stalled vehicles, police speed traps, and construction ahead. NAV is primitive by comparison. Having WAZE displayed on the Jeep screen is priceless.

OP
OP
Jason Oliver

Jason Oliver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Approaching Retirement
It's refreshing to go back to manual dimming mirrors on my Gladiator. I don't miss auto dimming at all.

Something else I don't miss? NAV. My advice is have an open mind and don't worry so much about not having an integrated Navigation.

My truck's 7" screen displays WAZE from my iPhone. WAZE is way more useful to me and more up to date than any car-maker's NAV has ever been. It automatically senses traffic jams and changes the route accordingly. It tells me about debris in the road, stalled vehicles, police speed traps, and construction ahead. NAV is primitive by comparison. Having WAZE displayed on the Jeep screen is priceless.
I prefer in-vehicle navigation and not being otherwise connected while driving. Thanks for the reply.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Do you know there is a option in the apps to turn the auto dimming mirror on and off? Maybe your mirror has been turned off because mine works very well..
Also, if it's been an issue, take it to the dealership and have them replace under warranty.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jason Oliver

Jason Oliver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Approaching Retirement
Do you know there is a option in the apps to turn the auto dimming mirror on and off? Maybe your mirror has been turned off because mine works very well..
Also, if it's been an issue, take it to the dealership and have them replace under warranty.
I am not sure you understood my posts, but thanks for the reply.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
I am not sure you understood my posts, but thanks for the reply.
I'm just asking about the root of the problem, maybe your rearview mirror is defective or not turned on.

OP
OP
Jason Oliver

Jason Oliver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Approaching Retirement
I'm just asking about the root of the problem, maybe your rearview mirror is defective or not turned on.
My manual day/night mirror works perfectly. None of the auto-dimming mirrors that I have had got dark enough for me. I don't have them anymore, but I doubt all of them were defective.

You also shared that the auto-dimming mirror works well for you - and I appreciate the opinion.

It's all good.

No one brought politics into the mix, so I call it a win!

Aberk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Viper, 2020 Rubicon JT
I feel like the dimming works well, but it isn't the full width of the mirror. There is an edge in the mirror around the dimming area that doesn't dim and I occasionally catch a headlight in that little area and it is very irritating.

Tar Heel Wrangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold JLU Sport S for JTM, JL Willys Sport
My auto-dim actually works too well. making it hard to see sometimes. I would like it a little brighter, but it looks like you can't set the dimness other than to off.
Sponsored