Sponsored

Anyone removed the auto dimming rearview mirror?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
The standard mirror in the JL was a big issue for me and my wife, WAY too low, so I flipped it.
The day/night paddle still works, its just on top and admittedly a little more futzy to use.

The auto mirror on the JT is passable, wouldn't mind it a bit higher, but unlike the JL not a necessity to fix.

At 6'-5" cant remember the mirror being an issue on any other vehicle except for my Miata.
I did have to monkey with it, but it has the ability to move a lot and I could get it to work without modifications.
I hope every person who is taller than me (about 60% of the population of men, I'm sure) let Jeep know in that first owner survey what was not good about the mirror. If you have a legit concern and express it and give a phone number - they'll actually call you and ask about it!
Seriously, concerns about the mirror should be conveyed to Jeep.
I'm not suggesting every little gripe like I don't like the size of this dial and the seat doesn't fit my body or stuff that's just opinion and picky - I mean if the mirror is in your line of vision for SAFETY concerns, do let them know in that initial ownership survey. I know for a fact they listen - I was called twice - once for our WK2 and once for my JT. I was polite and specific.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
“Turn signals?
WTF are those?”
…said 80% of drivers everywhere.
Especially in Iowa.
A few years back, WHO TV set up cameras at intersections and you are about right percentage-wise. They found even with a camera sitting there, only a small percentage used turn signals even in areas where they were really useful.
Further, they showed over 80% of Iowans ignore "right lane must turn right" signs and similar - on camera even. Some cut off other traffic to the point if a very close call. Iowans drive like they don't care, they're still in papa's corn field.

CallMeJoe

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
Occupation
Retired
My JL had, and my JTR has the biggest, most obnoxious rearview mirror of any vehicle I've ever had. Lucky for me, I have the low-brow cheapo manual version RVM without any wires. They just pop off. First thing I did with both vehicles was to take them off. I couldn't see around them without sliding down in the seat. To me, that was far more dangerous than not having one at all.
It rides in the center console. If the nice man in the big round hat would like me to have one, I'll snap it back on.
Besides, the view out the back was terrible anyway. The only thing it was good for was watching my son. Now that he's almost 13, I'd rather not know what he's up to back there...

Wyofuy069

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 jt Mojave
Occupation
Sales
Buy a BMW, they never work.
Funny you say that. I have an x5 with 50,000 miles that has had the engine and fuel pump replaced already. But at least it was all fixed under warranty without a problem.

Sponsored

-miko-

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo Wagon, Tundra, Nissan NV, '21 Gladiator
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Designer
If you downgrade there is a “fix” so you don’t have to flip it and loose the night driving paddle usage.

12B3ED94-90D6-49D4-A1B7-F911D1CAB4A1.jpeg
Do you have any details on what you used? Is it a standard 1" ball connection?

texanjeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport-S Granite Crystal Metallic
Occupation
I.T.
I'm pretty tall and the mirror has never made me feel like it's inhibiting my view. That's just me.

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow (Sold) '23 Ram 1500
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Do you have any details on what you used? Is it a standard 1" ball connection?
I can send you links but I will cavate that with I will likely be removing the whole setup and reinstalling the mirror upside-down. It is WAY nicer being higher, but the mirror shakes now, making it harder to see. The best I cant describe it is the rear view now looks like a motorcycle side view mirror...how its so shaky you can see everything but its hard to make out detail. its by no mean detrimental or anything. Its just made me curious of the difference between the setup with the bracket, and it just being flipped upside down.

Feel free to PM me and I can tell you honestly which one turns out to be a better pick.

Sponsored

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
I too find the mirror to be placed in my line of site. It's not horrible but if it could be raised or flipped easily I would.

In all my vehicles that have auto dimming I just unplugged them. including the JT. Very easy to do.

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
And nobody answered the OPs original question. Amazing. Not.
did you just not hit the #1 on the thread and read it? his question was answered twice.

Here are the answers he received
If you downgrade there is a “fix” so you don’t have to flip it and loose the night driving paddle usage.

12B3ED94-90D6-49D4-A1B7-F911D1CAB4A1.jpeg
You can flip it, just need to grind off the tabs inside the ball joint that line it up when in the oem position. There is a thread on mirror flipping.

Last edited:

Awhitebuff

First Name
Buff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland Diesel
Occupation
Retired
did you just not hit the #1 on the thread and read it? his question was answered twice.

Here are the answers he received
Did you not comprehend his question? He asked how to remove it and how does the wires route. He did not ask how to fix it.

sharpsicle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2002 VTX1800
Did you not comprehend his question? He asked how to remove it and how does the wires route. He did not ask how to fix it.
I’ve by complete accident figured out how to remove the mirror it’s self....Planning on doing away with it altogether or buying one of the simpler mirrors that can be flipped.
Looks like he asked for exactly what was answered. He already figured out how to remove it. @j.o.y.ride said it can simply be unplugged. Looks on-topic to me. Did you not comprehend his question had multiple angles?

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
If your going to be smart ass, at least be smart first.

he literally talked about getting a simpler one that can be flipped...which is part of the answer he recieved. He also got other comments about the wiring.

Thanks for playing, have a nice day.

I’ve by complete accident figured out how to remove the mirror it’s self. But I’m unsure if the power cable comes out of the mirror or is just a pigtail that runs into the headliner somewhere. Any insight?

Planning on doing away with it altogether or buying one of the simpler mirrors that can be flipped.
Sponsored