Auto Swap. Seriously

danielspivey

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 MAX TOW MAX TOW MAX TOW, 4.10s w 1583 payload
I have geared in the past. Gears don't add power, they change rpm. No matter what the rpm, there is no power with this motor. I don't need to change RPM, I can do that by using a lower # gear. Gears are only useful if first is too tall, and it isn't. If anything it isn't tall enough. Yes, gears will solve reverse while towing a boat uphill, but that was already solved by buying a $1500 beater with more towing capacity.
If you have any spare beaters for $1500 that would be worthy of pulling a large boat or travel trailer please let me know! Those donā€™t exist around where I live...
Sponsored

COlukeJT

First Name
Lucas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT
I have to agree trade in values are really high. I bought a new F150 in March and Traded it in on my Gladiator in August. My trade in was 300 more than my out the door price on the F150, my Gladiator was the best price I could find in multiple states so I feel good I didn't make the difference there. I would check out Carvana for a good trade in value they offer pretty high amounts regardless if you trade or just sell to them. I actually got my dealer to match their price on trade in, it was 2k higher than other local dealers.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
LMFAO. :like::rock::LOL::CWL::clap:

The end of 2020 is nigh.

The only thing missing is a rant about the end of MTs and some kind of computer app to fix this "problem".

And plywood.

Happy Thanksgiving jeep heads..

wannajeep

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6sp JTR
(Why do people back into their garages, anyway? That's a rhetorical question; please ignore).
In terms of traffic, backing into garage is generally easier and safer than backing out onto a street (assuming said street has traffic). If you're approaching your driveway, you have good visibility in the rear view, and can pull over and wait for decreased traffic if necessary, before backing in. If you're backing out of a driveway, you're usually at 90 degrees to the street, so traffic visibility is decreased.

Also, if šŸ’© HTF and you need to get out in a hurry, facing forward is faster, easier and safer than backing up, then turning the wheel hard the other way and moving on.

Sponsored

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
OP- People have laid out all possible options and you have shot them down in one way or another. Iā€™m really not sure why you came here to complain about a problem that you manufactured...

A manual tranny is terrible for any serious towing regardless of what vehicle you have.

The 3.6 has never been known for being a powerful engine. You should have known that before you bought one.

Putting 37ā€™s did nothing but make your situation worse.

Now, as far as real world solutions I would hesitate to go with a SC in a towing situation but thatā€™s just me. As said above sell your truck now at a premium and put a deposit down for a 392 from one of the dealers here that will give you a great price. Wrap the truck in Punkn and call it a day. In the end youā€™ll have a much more capable truck that you should really appreciate..

Twilightwheelin

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTrubi JL , JK , WJ
OP- People have laid out all possible options and you have shot them down in one way or another. Iā€™m really not sure why you came here to complain about a problem that you manufactured...

A manual tranny is terrible for any serious towing regardless of what vehicle you have.

The 3.6 has never been known for being a powerful engine. You should have known that before you bought one.

Putting 37ā€™s did nothing but make your situation worse.

Now, as far as real world solutions I would hesitate to go with a SC in a towing situation but thatā€™s just me. As said above sell your truck now at a premium and put a deposit down for a 392 from one of the dealers here that will give you a great price. Wrap the truck in Punkn and call it a day. In the end youā€™ll have a much more capable truck that you should really appreciate..
Uhh just get a ram? Lol

rdcox23

First Name
R.D.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Re-gear. It makes all the difference. I roll on 35s with 4:88s and it's fun to drive.

jdwhichard

First Name
david
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
nurse
Vehicle Showcase
Last edited:

Deleted member 30519

with 37s you need 4.88 min . i would go 5.13 WOW with the right axle gears your mileage will improve to 20+ . 20 plus years in jeeps 4.10 are for 33s 4.56 for 35s and min 4.88 for 37s for max efficiency . The 3.6 has so much more power than the old 4.0s
What would you recommend regearing with a 6 spd for someone who hardly ever drives highway. I don't really ever need 5th or 6th unless I go on vacation hitting the interstates.

Sponsored

wannajeep

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6sp JTR
Heavy duty trucks and big rigs (i.e. serious towing) have happily been using manual trannies forever. Automatics can be more efficient - by how much? Who knows. It comes at the expense of complexity and cost. Everything's a tradeoff.

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
Heavy duty trucks and big rigs (i.e. serious towing) have happily been using manual trannies forever. Automatics can be more efficient - by how much? Who knows. It comes at the expense of complexity and cost. Everything's a tradeoff.
ā€˜while most heavy duty trucks (Class 8) used to run manual transmissions many are now running automatics due to the advancements in their designs...The last Mack Tri axle I bought before I retired had an automatic..much easier for the driver.

Jt-wrx

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 sport s 6spd
Stock stick rubi gears, should be 4.10. Iā€™m on 37s which obviously doesnā€™t help. Reverse is way too tall for towing, and 5/6th have no purpose anywhere with hills. Towing or not. I usually get the same ~16mpg just staying in 4th as I do going up to 5th and at least in 4th it can maintain speed uphill.
lmao...the one mod you should do before you consider the swap you haven't done yet, the gears, you need to be 4.88 minimum or 5.13's on the max end

i ran 37's on my 3.73 sport gears for awhile and it truly sucked, now i have 4.88's and it's a stump pulling little beast, the difference is staggering, on a steep driveway before, or bumping my trailer up onto curb in reverse, or getting started in 8" of crusted snow....basically any challenge to the traction of the tires and you almost needed 4-low for all of that with the stock gearing, but now with 4.88's my rig will chirp both rear tires from a dig on a steep driveway and just go...night and day difference, i didn't realized just how important or effective the right gearing can be, now i don't even need to touch the gas for just idling around a parking lot or in the alley or a drive through...just let clutch out slowly and away you go on idle alone

anyway, put your money there then sell it if you don't like it and get the auto, and do the damn gears with it also

you won't need a supercharger if you do the gears, i did magnaflow street exhaust so i can hear the engine better with the manual and it's like driving a sports car now with the gearing correct, i holeshot people all the time, it snorts, it will chirp hard going into 2nd if you jump on it in a hurry, anyway, it's faster and zippier than when it was stock now that i've done 4.88's and it changed the driving dynamics, i've now got a full hunting season behind me and it was fantastic offroad to retrieve animals and also cruising some new areas in forestry, haven't needed 4-low yet since the gear swap

further to this i now can use cruise control on the highway and hold most hills in 6th at 75-80 mph no issues, couldn't even consider that with before gear swap, in 6th at 75 mph i'm a little over 2500 rpm at 80 mph a little over 2700 rpm. All gears very useable now. 1st gear is so short you're only part way into an intersection before you're shifting into 2nd. Anyway...get the gears done ;)

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
ā€˜while most heavy duty trucks (Class 8) used to run manual transmissions many are now running automatics due to the advancements in their designs...The last Mack Tri axle I bought before I retired had an automatic..much easier for the driver.
It's true. Worked for a couple of class 8 companies back in the day, and most construction trucks got Allisons, and most road trucks got the Volvo iShift and that trans is awesome.

Chadnutz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 F-350 4x4
Reverse is absolutely too high. I stall backing an unloaded 16' steel trailer. If I need to back anything else I use 4L. Why do people need to go 20+ mph in reverse? If you need to go that fast, turn around.

THe jeep needed a 4.XL V8, and Aisin has a transmission that handles more torque, but I guess Jeep didn't want to have two MT options, nor did they want to choose the beefier option when most people would have the 3.6L. In my perfect world they would have a MT that paired with the diesel.

I don't have large hills in my area, but I've found that if I run 70 mph i only lose a few mph. If I go 65 I lose more. I think you need to man up and change gears. Automatics are for sissies.

When I change to 35s I may end up having to regear to 4.56s if I can't stand it. For now my street tires are 33s and my wheeling tires are 37s. I'm getting them mounted tomorrow, so I can't speak for how shitty it will be on the street or the trail, but I can't wait!
Sponsored