Sponsored

Aux battery is still charging

Delhux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator - Overland - Gator
Brought mine back in again on Friday, this time to have the battery sensor replaced.

Long story short, the ESS worked for the remainder of yesterday’s driving (about 2-hours). I then parked it overnight and started it up again today (about 24-hours later)—immediately it was in battery charging mode.

So far today, I’ve only driven about 25-minutes, but the system never came out of charging mode.

I think next step HAS to be replacing BOTH batteries—I really don’t want to make the remaining battery replacement(s) a multi-trip affair.

How much money do these dealerships make stretching out simple warranty services to become multi-visit affairs?
Sponsored

OP
OP
jmdwifi

jmdwifi

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Wireless Network engineer, Drummer of WOLF LEGION
Vehicle Showcase
My ESS finally started working yesterday. 500 miles and many hours of driving for it to charge.

JK4AER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon, 2003 TJ Rubicon
Last weekend, I had my front fender liners replaced and asked the dealer to check the aux battery. They did and it checked out fine...they told me it may take up to 250 miles for the ESS to work.

OP
OP
jmdwifi

jmdwifi

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Last weekend, I had my front fender liners replaced and asked the dealer to check the aux battery. They did and it checked out fine...they told me it may take up to 250 miles for the ESS to work.
That is what they told me but it took well over 500. Maybe it will be fine. I still have 16000 left on the warranty.

LiftedrubiconJT

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 rubicon gladiator
That is what they told me but it took well over 500. Maybe it will be fine. I still have 16000 left on the warranty.
Did you experience any electrical issues when your ess battery died

Sponsored

OP
OP
jmdwifi

jmdwifi

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

Delhux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had this same issue with my 2016 Cherokee. Battery kept saying it was charging. Dealership replaced the battery, same indications. Further troubleshooting pointed to the AUX battery charging circuit off of the alternator. Once they replaced that, the system charged and has worked like a champ every since.
My gut tells me my issue must be similar to this issue with the Cherokee for the following reasons:

1) I’ll just take it on their word both batteries pass diagnostics.

2) If the batteries are charged via battery tender, the ESS works for about a week, then never comes back on.

3) The main battery never shows any issue—no trouble with starting the truck, no issues with electronics being reset, nothing.

It all makes me think that it is more likely there is a problem successfully getting power to charge the ESS battery, rather than the ESS battery just being defective and causing ESS to never turn on.

I just wish I could know for sure if there is an independent (from the main battery) circuit which charges the ESS battery from the alternator on the Gladiator...

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
My gut tells me my issue must be similar to this issue with the Cherokee for the following reasons:

1) I’ll just take it on their word both batteries pass diagnostics.

2) If the batteries are charged via battery tender, the ESS works for about a week, then never comes back on.

3) The main battery never shows any issue—no trouble with starting the truck, no issues with electronics being reset, nothing.

It all makes me think that it is more likely there is a problem successfully getting power to charge the ESS battery, rather than the ESS battery just being defective and causing ESS to never turn on.

I just wish I could know for sure if there is an independent (from the main battery) circuit which charges the ESS battery from the alternator on the Gladiator...
The Gladiator is supposed have a 'smart' charging system. It gives priority to the main battery, and then charges the ESS battery. The batteries may pass diagnostics, but be borderline. If most of the driving time is spent charging the main battery, the ESS will only get fully charged on a long trip.

If it gets to the point where you have to pay to replace the batteries, look at installing the Genesis dual battery kit.

Another problem being reported is water in the ESS battery compartment. Apparently, the drain is getting plugged with debris, and it causes electrical issues.

Delhux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Gladiator is supposed have a 'smart' charging system. It gives priority to the main battery, and then charges the ESS battery. The batteries may pass diagnostics, but be borderline. If most of the driving time is spent charging the main battery, the ESS will only get fully charged on a long trip.

If it gets to the point where you have to pay to replace the batteries, look at installing the Genesis dual battery kit.

Another problem being reported is water in the ESS battery compartment. Apparently, the drain is getting plugged with debris, and it causes electrical issues.
I’d probably try a Cascadia solar panel on the hood before a Genesis dual System.

Delhux

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
IBS > Clear/Reset:

Disconnect all 12v power to the JL/JT *

Now, when 12v power is restored, the IBS starts a lengthy relearn process.

Until the relearn process is complete, accurate battery state (MAIN battery) information is unavailable to other vehicle systems.

This relearn process requires 5 normal, operator initiated starts with at least eight hours off time between each start. Usually, the process takes a few days of vehicle operation to complete.

Important: The relearn process is restarted every time power is reconnected to the IBS after a complete 12v power disconnection in regard to the vehicle. This has a major effect on the stop/start feature. (ESS)

Important: You can, with vehicle turned off, just unplug the IBS, leave it unplugged for a few minutes and then plug IBS back in and that to will also restart the relearning process.
The dealership said that to mine alongside a battery tender recharge.

The ESS was off when I left, but turned on two days later.

It then did what it always does after a battery tender recharge—it worked for about 5-7 days of normal driving and then went back to “battery charging”.

The battery seems to hold a charge for a week, but it doesn’t seem like it can gain any charge while driving.

Sponsored

Deleted member 33157

FYI I have a 2020 overland w 2000 miles mine did the same thing ...I took it to the dealer requested that they do a load test on both batteries....it took me 2 visits before they would do it..well the cranking amps were low on the ESS battery they replaced it. No more problems it works almost right away.... I do not use the system I turn it off but I did not want to see battery charging. When it did not work voltage per gauge was 14.6-14.7 when its right it should be 14.4-145.

scotticus

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT LE
Occupation
Derpston
The dealership said that to mine alongside a battery tender recharge.

The ESS was off when I left, but turned on two days later.

It then did what it always does after a battery tender recharge—it worked for about 5-7 days of normal driving and then went back to “battery charging”.

The battery seems to hold a charge for a week, but it doesn’t seem like it can gain any charge while driving.
I took my truck in yesterday and I believe this is what they are telling me needs to be done. They were indicating that some "accessories" may cause it to become out of calibration. Only accessories I have are some 12v lights and my VHF/UHF radio which is directly wired in.

And its taking all day today and some of tomorrow to "relearn" even though I scheduled and appointment on Tuesday. They didn't even look until this morning :mad:

Deleted member 33157

I took my truck in yesterday and I believe this is what they are telling me needs to be done. They were indicating that some "accessories" may cause it to become out of calibration. Only accessories I have are some 12v lights and my VHF/UHF radio which is directly wired in.

And its taking all day today and some of tomorrow to "relearn" even though I scheduled and appointment on Tuesday. They didn't even look until this morning :mad:
You cant fix a bad battery :(

scotticus

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT LE
Occupation
Derpston
You cant fix a bad battery :(
Yeah i'm going to be annoyed when they tell me its still doing it after spending 2 days on that damn reset procedure.
Sponsored