Sponsored

Auxiliary LED Reverse Lights (Integrated Rear Bumper)

eaglerugby04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gator Rubicon Gladiator, Toyota Prius, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Network Security
Then you'll love token ring.

I was actually one of the firs to use 10BaseT before it was an official standard. A company in MN named Gateway (NOT the cow computer people) sold "hubs" and "concentrators" and there wasn't anything mentioned about 10BaseT in the marketing or descriptions because it wasn't 10BaseT yet. It was "Ethernet over twisted pair".
There's still a lot of it around.
Yep I had to learn about it in college for some reason. Saw a system old enough that it had a connector for it though.

Wow I am dealing with 10gig plus fiber so much I didn't even think about before it was a standard.
Sponsored

Radio Guy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Retired Broadcast Engineer
My bumper mount reverse lights are wired using the Oracle adapter cable and I just updated the install by wiring one of the AUX power switches to the light so I can turn them on for general use while parked.

I diode isolated the the feed from the vehicle reverse light circuit and from the AUX switch with a pair of 6 amp Schottky diodes. Since the diodes are upstream of the stock reverse tail light, the white section of that also lights up with the AUX switch giving a little more useable light. I ran 16ga aircraft wire down from the light then through the frame and up near the battery where it connects to the excellent Badge Glow adapter board for AUX power, which mounts near the battery.

Here is a picture of the diode installation before encapsulating inside some hot glue heat shrink. I had to extend the adapter harness wire a little with some wire and a service loop then I Ty-Rapped the diodes and new wire to the harness to immobilize it.

Jeep Gladiator Auxiliary LED Reverse Lights (Integrated Rear Bumper) 1626201324122

Jeep Gladiator Auxiliary LED Reverse Lights (Integrated Rear Bumper) 1626201428683

gt3mike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
I ran 16ga aircraft wire down from the light then through the frame and up near the battery where it connects to the excellent Badge Glow adapter board for AUX power, which mounts near the battery.
What is aircraft wire?

Radio Guy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Wire made and sold specifically for aircraft wire harness use meeting a lot of various specs. Its often silver plated and Teflon insulated and the type I used has a thin insulation then a woven fiberglass covering then a clear insulation over everything.

Here is a picture of some typical 16ga wire used in aircraft. Top has a fiberglass wrap bottom is Teflion.

Jeep Gladiator Auxiliary LED Reverse Lights (Integrated Rear Bumper) 1626303708970

What is aircraft wire?

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Wire made and sold specifically for aircraft wire harness use meeting a lot of various specs. Its often silver plated and Teflon insulated and the type I used has a thin insulation then a woven fiberglass covering then a clear insulation over everything.

Here is a picture of some typical 16ga wire used in aircraft. Top has a fiberglass wrap bottom is Teflion.

Jeep Gladiator Auxiliary LED Reverse Lights (Integrated Rear Bumper) 1626303708970
Maybe you can help me find cloth wire sleeves for my restorations!

Jeep Gladiator Auxiliary LED Reverse Lights (Integrated Rear Bumper) wiper-wires-close

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
What I've been doing is buying cloth covered wire and stripping the cloth off to use. These motors have 18 and 22 gauge solid copper wire with cloth sleeves that slide over the wire. The cloth rots and gets damaged I need to replace the sleeves. The wires lead directly to the field windings - 3 of the 4 are the fine at least 22 gauge at the largest (I measured with a micrometer and figured it at about 22 gauge)
Looks like they may have small cloth wire I could at least use the insulation from to slip over these wires.
Thanks - hadn't see this outfit before.

AggieJeep

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Firecracker Red LE, 2012 JKUR Call of Duty, 1967 M715 (military Gladiator)
Vehicle Showcase
Then you'll love token ring.

I was actually one of the firs to use 10BaseT before it was an official standard. A company in MN named Gateway (NOT the cow computer people) sold "hubs" and "concentrators" and there wasn't anything mentioned about 10BaseT in the marketing or descriptions because it wasn't 10BaseT yet. It was "Ethernet over twisted pair".
There's still a lot of it around.
Ah the old days. Sometimes it worked better than sneakernet, but not always.:LOL:

LowerSlower

First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 80th JT
Mine does the exact same thing no led package from factory, do I need to put led lights in the tailights to get them to work?
I wound up with throwing in a couple of led bulbs and haven't had an issue.

Sponsored

gt3mike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon

Jeep Gladiator Auxiliary LED Reverse Lights (Integrated Rear Bumper) wiper-wires-close
Where do you get this stuff? The site you linked to above seems like it's more for antique restoration wiring.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Where do you get this stuff? The site you linked to above seems like it's more for antique restoration wiring.
Sorry, he was responding to my off-topic comment about looking for cloth wire sleeves or cover. I do restorations and that link was aimed at that.

For aircraft wire there's a site that would sell to those who build home aircraft, etc. -
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/el/wire.html

gt3mike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Sorry, he was responding to my off-topic comment about looking for cloth wire sleeves or cover. I do restorations and that link was aimed at that.

For aircraft wire there's a site that would sell to those who build home aircraft, etc. -
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/el/wire.html
Thanks @ShadowsPapa. I had already looked there, but unless my ignorance of milspec wire codes is preventing me from seeing something obvious, I'm not finding the fiberglass jacketed stuff that @Radio Guy posted above.

Hey @Radio Guy - do you have a link to the wire you used above? Thanks!

Radio Guy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Not really, I buy some at local ham radio swap meets and sometimes on Ebay when I see a good deal. This type of wire is terribly expensive new but I've bought 1,000ft of 16ga 19 strand silver plated Teflon wire on Ebay in the past for $30. You have to look several times a day on Ebay as the good deals get bought up immediately then some of those buyers put it back on Ebay for closer to $1/ft.

Thanks @ShadowsPapa. I had already looked there, but unless my ignorance of milspec wire codes is preventing me from seeing something obvious, I'm not finding the fiberglass jacketed stuff that @Radio Guy posted above.

Hey @Radio Guy - do you have a link to the wire you used above? Thanks!
Sponsored