Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Hmmmm..... I think the rear LEDs may be more a function of the Rubi package rather than the tow package. I have the max tow package and mine arent LED.
- it's not part of the tow package. It's part of the LED lighting group or other groups.
Sponsored

red/green hawk

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S with max tow package, 2008 Suburban LTZ
Occupation
ICU Nurse
Jeep should be using an electronic flasher which are a timing circuit and not the old bi-metal strip that bends with the heat of the bulb current. Actually, with LED on the old type flashers, they'd light and NOT flash at all.
"hyper" or "fast flashing" results when you add bulbs, as in a TRAILER, and it heats the flasher strip faster due to the extra amperage flow through that strip.
I "upgraded" my brake lights with LED bulbs this weekend and I get "turn signal out" warning message. It also "hyper" flashes when using the turn signal. I cleared the CEL with my Tazer but it always comes back when I use the turn signal. Is there anything I can do to fix that?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I "upgraded" my brake lights with LED bulbs this weekend and I get "turn signal out" warning message. It also "hyper" flashes when using the turn signal. I cleared the CEL with my Tazer but it always comes back when I use the turn signal. Is there anything I can do to fix that?
And here I thought by now ALL manufacturers would be using electronic flashers based on a timer circuit!
The kicker - some of the less expensive LED bulbs are polarity specific. Others, some of the better ones, work put in either direction. I'm not sure what sort of socket or even bulb the JT tail lights use, but I ran into that with some of the bulbs I used at first on my cars - oops, take out, turn around, ok, now they work.
I buy from SuperBrightLEDs dot com or whatever their address is now.
I also found that when replacing the dash bulbs, even the same cross-over for some of the lights there were big differences - lumens, the number of LEDs around the bulb, the direction of the light from the LED and so on.

Is there a setting that needs to be changed to tell the JT that it has LED now? If so, is that a setting the Tazer can change (likely)?
I thought you had to "tell the truck" that it had LED lighting...........

red/green hawk

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ICU Nurse
And here I thought by now ALL manufacturers would be using electronic flashers based on a timer circuit!
The kicker - some of the less expensive LED bulbs are polarity specific. Others, some of the better ones, work put in either direction. I'm not sure what sort of socket or even bulb the JT tail lights use, but I ran into that with some of the bulbs I used at first on my cars - oops, take out, turn around, ok, now they work.
I buy from SuperBrightLEDs dot com or whatever their address is now.
I also found that when replacing the dash bulbs, even the same cross-over for some of the lights there were big differences - lumens, the number of LEDs around the bulb, the direction of the light from the LED and so on.

Is there a setting that needs to be changed to tell the JT that it has LED now? If so, is that a setting the Tazer can change (likely)?
I thought you had to "tell the truck" that it had LED lighting...........
The lights all turn on and work. I drove it around last night and didn't have any issues. The messages came on this morning when I turned my truck on. I'll try turning them around and see what happens. I'll check to see if my Tazer has a setting for LEDs. I don't remember seeing it though.

I have the Tazer Lite. After reading I cannot set to LED. You can however set to LED on Tazer Mini. Perhaps I will have to upgrade to Mini in order to fix my problem.

Last edited:

Shackleton

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gobi Gladiator Sport S Max Tow, Camry
Here is a video I put together of my transformation from lame to LED! Super easy, very cheap, and extremely effective!! Links to the products I used can be found in the video description. Feel free to hit me up with any questions and I will be more than happy to help where I can! Like and subscribe for more content coming soon!
Thanks for posting this. Looks super easy. Have you had any issues? It seems like choosing LED bulbs is more complicated than just choosing a replacement bulb. I have a Sport S with Max tow and feel the lights at night leave a lot to be desired. If you have been issue free for 2 months I may just follow your lead here. Anything I should be concerned about with New England weather/ cold, snowy winters when I’m upgrading to LED?

Sponsored

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
Thanks for posting this. Looks super easy. Have you had any issues? It seems like choosing LED bulbs is more complicated than just choosing a replacement bulb. I have a Sport S with Max tow and feel the lights at night leave a lot to be desired. If you have been issue free for 2 months I may just follow your lead here. Anything I should be concerned about with New England weather/ cold, snowy winters when I’m upgrading to LED?
I did this about 3 weeks ago with the links he provided, worked great so far, I am also in MA I had LED bulbs in my JKs for 4 years and didn’t have any real issues with snow or freezing rain, not expecting any with this either.

Shackleton

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I did this about 3 weeks ago with the links he provided, worked great so far, I am also in MA I had LED bulbs in my JKs for 4 years and didn’t have any real issues with snow or freezing rain, not expecting any with this either.
This is my first JEEP and I guess I’m not a kid anymore (41) but not exactly a dinosaur either. I feel like the stock headlights don’t produce all that much light. Are these a huge improvement with regard to visibility in your opinion?
thanks

jeff

red/green hawk

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ICU Nurse
Mini? Taser?
The Tazer is a tool by Z Automotive that plugs into your JT and allows you to reprogram things such as tire size, gear ratios, winch mode, disables auto stop feature, etc. The "Lite" is a version of it and "Mini" is a more expensive but inclusive version. My problem was when I did the LED upgrade even though everything worked i kept getting warning messages that my turn signals were out and consequently getting a hyper flash when using the turn signal. The Tazer Mini lets you program which lights are LEDs hence erasing the warning message and hyper flash. I originally only had the Lite version but was able to purchase a code to enter into it to upgrade it to the Mini version.
Why did it flash a warning message? You would have to ask someone smarter than me but i think part of the answer is you get what you pay for. I think the top of the line LEDs don't do this.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Hydro Blue Max Tow
This is my first JEEP and I guess I’m not a kid anymore (41) but not exactly a dinosaur either. I feel like the stock headlights don’t produce all that much light. Are these a huge improvement with regard to visibility in your opinion?
thanks

jeff
They are not obnoxious, I was concerned about that as well, I have not been flashed once since putting them in.
I think they are definitely an improvement, light is brighter and appears to go further, you can really see it on reflective signs, they appear much sooner than with the stock bulbs. If you want to check mine out to see what they look like just me know.

FLUndertaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport, 1986 Jeep CJ7
The Tazer is a tool by Z Automotive that plugs into your JT and allows you to reprogram things such as tire size, gear ratios, winch mode, disables auto stop feature, etc. The "Mini" is a version of it and "Lite" is a more expensive but inclusive version. My problem was when I did the LED upgrade even though everything worked i kept getting warning messages that my turn signals were out and consequently getting a hyper flash when using the turn signal. The Tazer Lite lets you program which lights are LEDs hence erasing the warning message and hyper flash. I originally only had the Mini version but was able to purchase a code to enter into it to upgrade it to the Lite version.
Why did it flash a warning message? You would have to ask someone smarter than me but i think part of the answer is you get what you pay for. I think the top of the line LEDs don't do this.
I think you’ve got them reversed. The mini is the full meal deal and the lite has reduced functionality but can be upgraded for a few more clams.
I have the taser installed in my JT. I was just confirming that it was it that allowed you to upgrade to LEDs problem free. I need to upgrade mine.

Shackleton

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They are not obnoxious, I was concerned about that as well, I have not been flashed once since putting them in.
I think they are definitely an improvement, light is brighter and appears to go further, you can really see it on reflective signs, they appear much sooner than with the stock bulbs. If you want to check mine out to see what they look like just me know.
Do I need a Tazer for this do you know? I don’t recall seeing that in the video

red/green hawk

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ICU Nurse
I think you’ve got them reversed.
Yeah you're right. I did mix it up. I originally got the Lite thinking i didn't need the Mini...but lo and behold I did after all. Upgrading to the mini fixed the problem with LEDs.
Sponsored

Last edited: